Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis

Posted by: Enray

Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 01/25/06 02:43 PM

After getting into martial arts with karate, i've gotten interested in ninjitsu. Do you guys know of any dojos in memphis that practice this art in memphis?
Posted by: Knocko

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 01:14 PM

From what I understand, it is illegal to teach 'real' Ninjutsu in the U.S. The only true Ninjutsu schools will be found in Japan, either way.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 01:44 PM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 02:09 PM

Quote:

From what I understand, it is illegal to teach 'real' Ninjutsu in the U.S. The only true Ninjutsu schools will be found in Japan, either way.

Ooof, don't tell Lane!!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 02:14 PM

Quote:

That is a new one to me. There are quite a few recognized ninjutsu schools in the USA, although few of them use that term (ninjutsu) anymore. Search for Bujinkan, Jinenkan, Genbukan, or Ninpo Taijutsu.

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 03:08 PM

Hmmm...that one is news to me. I have seen those styles of MA advertised, but Ninjutsu; or the original system was developed for espionage and assasination. I doubt those principles are taught in the US, let alone anywhere else in the world other than Japan. I apologize, I'm relatively new to the board and I'm very technical with my information.

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 03:32 PM

Uhhh.....Knocko. We're glad to have you here, but maybe you might want to do a bit of research on what ninjutsu really is. You sound like your info is coming from the movies or other not reputable sources. Google some of the names like Masaaki Hatsumi, Shoto Tanemura, Stephen K hayes, etc.

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 04:25 PM

Sir,

I appreciate your concern over my research skills. To explain, I am a scientist by education, a martial artist by training, and a knowledge junkie by some unexplained genetic anomoly. I research everything before I speak of it. My friends hate that I am so cautious in both speech and written word, because I make a very strong effort to make sure my facts are straight before I speak. There are three things I have spent my short 31 years doing: researching the history of world religions, researching the history of Martial Arts, and reading dictionaries and encyclopedias. Yes, I am a geek; I'm a social leper, but if it's one thing I know...it's my facts...to a fault. My wife hates my lectures.

So, I suppose alot could have changed since the 80's. I suppose it's possible that the original style is taught as it was originally intended.

To site your examples of names for my 'research'; names I have been aware of for years, but let's break it down for a second.

The current Grand Master Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi, knew and taught Stephen Hayes, who later came back to America to "teach" others this ancient artform. I agree to that, but it stops there. Quite honestly, considering the bulk of todays current Martial Arts system, there are only a handful of styles that have stayed "original" outside of the home country that they were developed in. Outside influence and ones own development and manipulation always change the end product.

All that said; I would never consider learning such a refined and splendid art as Ninjutsu from anyone other than the Grandmaster. So, this could just be a prejudice on my part; for which I apologize. I'm not a Martial Art purist by any means, I believe that there is always room for personal interpretation of any art form. It wouldn't be art if that were the case.

Respectfully,

-K

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 05:21 PM

Quote:

From what I understand, it is illegal to teach 'real' Ninjutsu in the U.S.

I do find this very hard to believe - you are saying that Ninjutsu is against the law? Can you provide substantiation for that claim? I have never heard that.

Considering that Ninjutsu evolved in medieval Japan, you're "original" status question for Ninjutsu has some basis in fact - modern weaponry is quite different now than it was then. However, according to Masaaki Hatsumi, "espionage and assassination" were relatively small parts of the study of the system. Lack thereof in the current teachings would not really negate the "original status" of the other 99% of the system.

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 08:54 PM

Quote:

I do find this very hard to believe - you are saying that Ninjutsu is against the law? Can you provide substantiation for that claim?

I have nothing that I can link to, no. I only have what I've read in the past, or learned via other channels.

Since my last post, I have looked at all of the information contained in the pages that came up from the names you sited; and every single one of them...short of the GrandMaster, and the two pupils of his who can legitimately lay claim to actually learning the style from him; everyone else has stated that the art they teach has been derived from the original, but is not the original. That's all I had said originally.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/10/06 11:03 PM

Quote:

From what I understand, it is illegal to teach 'real' Ninjutsu in the U.S.

Actually this is what you said.

Then you said a bunch of stuff about being a scientist and stuff.

And then you said.

Quote:

I apologize, I'm relatively new to the board and I'm very technical with my information.

If you are going to raise the high bar on accuracy you may want to bring your A game.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 02/11/06 12:42 PM

Oldman you are funny!

Ok, Ok, I have no mandate for political correctness and am generally polite, but...

But Knocko, you are too much. I research, but cannot substantiate..... Dude, thanks for making me laugh!
Posted by: Enray

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 03/06/06 09:22 PM

A new bujinkan dojo has just opened in memphis.I can't wait till my first class!
Posted by: MikoReklaw

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 03/07/06 04:27 PM

Can you PM me the exact info on this place? I'm in da M-town, and have always wanted to study ninpo taijutsu.
Posted by: traq

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 03/08/06 02:08 PM

Quote:

Knocko posted:
...All that said; I would never consider learning such a refined and splendid art as Ninjutsu from anyone other than the Grandmaster.

Well, no offense, but if that's all you'll consider, then considering is probably all you'll do.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Ninjitsu Dojos in Memphis - 03/09/06 12:23 AM

pssst...Knocko last posted a month ago.