Would this idea even work?

Posted by: PierrePressure

Would this idea even work? - 12/31/05 01:53 PM

Hey all!
Well, I've been messing around with this idea for awhile now, and I really need some thoughts from those of you who've been in MA longer than I have.

I have this idea for a "fight club." We'll get together, beat the crud out of each other, and make money to buy........oh no, wait, wrong kind of fight club.

Seriously, my idea was this: Have a place where MAists can meet once or twice a week (or more) and spar. All kinds of styles would be welcome, and the point would be for people to spar other people of different styles so your fighting experience would be more well-rounded. It wouldn't be a tournament of any kind; it would just be for learning.

This is all very rough (I have thought about it more and it has more details than this, but I only wanted to give the general picture. If you need more info, just ask), and I realize how idealistic it sounds. I know there would probably be some of that "My style is superior to yours because I beat you" junk going on, and it would probably be more difficult to work out than I envision it to be, but I still want to hear some opinions about whether or not it could even work. Also, what would be some legal obstacles that would make this difficult? Would insurance be a problem?

Again, I realize this all sounds very idealistic, so I wanted to hear the more realistic thoughts from people who may have already done something like this or heard about something like this (or maybe even started their own school) so I can consider it more seriously.

Thanks all .
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Would this idea even work? - 12/31/05 04:05 PM

It's a neat idea. but I think it's a question of logistics. the current trend of individual members hooking up with other members seems to be easier to coordinate, since schedules of people are so diverse.

In general, I think forum members meeting up in person is the best thing that can come from this medium of supplimentary training.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Would this idea even work? - 12/31/05 06:58 PM

Pierre -

It's a good idea. Logistics can be a problem, even for getting together with people in your local area. Bullshido actively promotes a similar idea called a "throwdown". I attended one in Baltimore, and while I got stomped sparring under a different ruleset than what I am used to, found it to be fun and educational. Surprisingly, there was no attitude from anyone there at all.

I believe another member here (Raul Perez) attended one in New York, and enjoyed himself there, too.

I think it is worthwhile idea if you can pull it off.

Re: Would this idea even work? - 12/31/05 07:52 PM

Quote:

It's a neat idea. but I think it's a question of logistics. the current trend of individual members hooking up with other members seems to be easier to coordinate, since schedules of people are so diverse.

In general, I think forum members meeting up in person is the best thing that can come from this medium of supplimentary training.

haha. Well, that's cool too, but what I really meant was just people in general but not necessarily forum members. Although, that would be pretty cool to finally see some members on here in action!
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Would this idea even work? - 01/01/06 08:23 PM

oh...my mistake.
Not sure how you would organize a non-forum member Art Arena... call each dojo in your area and ask them if they want to throwdown? lol you'd get: 'not interested, thanks. {click}'.

many places never dare to spar outside their circle.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Would this idea even work? - 01/02/06 07:30 AM

There's a group who do this in UK. I think it is mainly Rapid Arnis and Black Eagle society, but they also invite other stylists. They have what Geoff Thompson calls 'animal days'.

I understand they meet and go for it, stopping when it is obvious who's won.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Would this idea even work? - 01/03/06 11:44 AM

I think the idea is sound.

The problem is going to be the execution.

To spar you must have rules---and getting a wide range of folks from multiple arts to agree on "fair" set of rules for sparring is going to be tough.

As would be acceptible levels of contact---I know a semi-pro boxer that is VERY picky about with whom he spars--he simply can't run the risk of him getting hurt by some dude that does not know any better.

(it happened to him once and he missed a schdl, advertised fight because of it)

You might also have problems with where you have the meet---insurance polices for MA schools are often pretty specifc about what they will cover and NOT cover, so that may make a real difference in all kinds of things.

You might have better luck "test driving" idea with individual people/students rather than trying to go thu instructers.

If I were teaching, I would not mind the idea--but it would irk me if it was interfering with things I am trying to teach.
And if I were teaching I esp would not want the "newbies" doing it--hard enough to teach the new folks as it is without them trying it out before they were ready.

(and NO student ever thinks that are not--they are pretty much all convienced that they are Bruce Lee at some point )

Anyway, good idea.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Would this idea even work? - 01/03/06 01:50 PM

Cxt's post was pretty much right on. At the Throwdowns, rules and contact levels were handled on a individual basis, so everybody was comfortable with what was going on.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Would this idea even work? - 01/03/06 10:26 PM

Enlighten me...

So ANY one could sign-up to fight any one else; level of contact & rules (prohibited vs legal techniques) to be determined by the combatants.

How do you keep the azzholes from "playing"?
How would you prevent a "sore loser" from enacting revenge later?
How would you prevent a group from attacking another group?
How would you screen for weapons?

Maybe I'm too cautious or too familiar w/ the criminal element or too much of a girlie-man but I would think such a plan is a recipe for disaster UNLESS it's started by close, committed, like-minded people w/ the right attitude.

Re: Would this idea even work? - 01/03/06 11:46 PM

Hmmmm.....all very interesting posts. I really wanted to hear some different opinions from people who have been in MA longer than I have, so this is great.

I had thought about the rules for sparring, and that was something I was (or, still am, actually) having trouble getting around. There's no doubt that different styles have different ways of fighting; on the other hand, of course, I wasn't planning on allowing (for example) a strict Tae Kwon Doist (who might just throw kicks and the occaisonal punch) to spar with a judo or BJJ guy. If all you do is groundfighting, or if all you do is stand-up sparring, then obviously you'll have to find someone of like style to fight. But y'all are right, because even in "similar" styles where you fight standing (or even on the ground) the way to fight is different. Something to think about......thanks .

Also, I think someone said something about newbs fighting? Hadn't thought of that one. I think I would have to have a rule about that. Something like you can only spar with us if you've had at least two years of experience sparring, or something like that. Don't know. More to think about .

hedkikr, in answer to your questions-

*Yes. The fighters would have about (let's say for example purposes) a minute before getting started to lay down some rules about what is allowed and what isn't. Of course, there would be some rules that were applicable to everybody and couldn't be ignored (can't beat anyone senseless, can't kick/punch etc. to the groin, and so forth), but yes, within reason, the fighters could lay down some of their own rules.

*Your other questions are great. How would I do all that? If I simply allow anyone and everyone to come and spar, it's possible that some of those types of people or situations might arise. I can't know each and every person individually before I let them come, so how would I know? Again, not much of an answer for you, but just thanks for bringing it up.

Great insights so far! If anyone else has any more, post!