A letter to the head instructors at my school.

Posted by: LameDojoHater

A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 12:52 AM

Dear, Board of Instructors

When I first started in this school I was severly impressed by the board breaking and stretching curriculum. Both aspects of your school have helped me tremendiously.

However I feel that a certian aspect of your curriculum is severly lacking. That aspect is sparring. I feel that your style of sparring (no contact, no kicks or punches to the head) is as crippling to the progress of students as the removal of the stretching/boardbreaking curriculum would be. I understand that you have chosen this style of sparring for legal reasons. However I believe that it is just as possible to suffer serious injury from boardbreaking, and regular practice of general techniques. In fact I have taken two falls during my time at this school. Were I not in such good physical condition I could have been easily injured. I would like to suggest that you talk to your legal advisers about the possibility of adding freestyle light contact sparring with pads on, to your Brown Belt-Black Belt curriculum.

I would also like to request that you post this letter in an area where other students can read it, and offer their opinions on the matter.

Thankyou for your time- Anonymous

Ok so what do you guys think? Am I overstepping my boundries on this one? Would I somehow infuriate the instructors by sending this letter?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 01:30 AM

Why didn't you put our name on it?
Posted by: JohnL

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 09:32 AM

A couple of points;

1. What grade are you and how long have you been at the school? If you're a junior grade and have been at the school for less than a couple of years, you won't have an opinion of value, and even if you're a more senior grade and been there a while, it's iffy.

2. Have you spoken to the instructor? Let's be honest, if you've got a problem with the way the place is run, go speak to the guy. He'll either explain the reasons (or not) and you can then either accept them or leave.

3. Putting a letter like this on the bulletin board at the club is simply bad manners.

4. If it's something you really believe in and you've spoken to the instrucor already then send him the letter. At least have the balls to sign it. Anything given with Anonymous at the bottom goes straight in the bin where it belongs.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 09:32 AM

I agree with with Joel. If you are so outraged, why would you not put your name on it?

Why don't you just leave if you don't like it?
Posted by: harlan

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 10:10 AM

I think that if the school does not satisfy your needs that you need to either find another school or reassess your reasons for being there.

I think that there are a lot of lousy schools out there, and even more lousy students. Your desire to post a letter is vindictive, and wouldn't change anything for the better.

I suggest that you appreciate what you have learned so far, and seriously consider what you want to learn and why. My version of that letter would be:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15812467
Posted by: Galen

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 03:07 PM

Never being one to sugar coat things...

You are absolutely over stepping your bounds.

If you dont like the school, leave, but it is completely out of line to send this kind of letter.

G
Posted by: trevek

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 04:21 PM

I have to ask LDH, what ever happened to the first two tenents of TKD, Courtesy and Integrity?

To be blunt, you've been slagging off everyone at your dojang since you joined the forums and suggesting only you are the real deal. Well maybe technically you are as great as you say, however maybe the others have a bit more of the tenents about them.

In another post on another thread you went on about being contraversial and how the old vets couldn't take it. Well prove yourself as the real deal, show you have the tenents about you. If you are unhappy with the dojang then speak to the guys who run it. maybe they will agree with you, maybe they'll see if there is something they could change, maybe they'll realise that others might feel the same way and reassess themselves.

Alternatively they might ask you to leave, but then you've already said you don't want to stay, so sending the letter would be pointless anyway.

If you DO send it, put your name on it. Show your face. Be a TKD MAN, not some whiney literary 'ninja' wannabe.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 04:22 PM

PS, there's no comma after "Dear, "

It should be "Dear Board of Instructors"
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 04:25 PM

It's like joining a Judo class and suggesting they do more kata.

honesty and being up front is always the best way...no sucker punches in the dojo.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 04:30 PM

Apparently in traditional Judo dojos practising thows is considered kata.
Posted by: srv

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 05:55 PM

I agree with everyone else. Sending a letter like this is highly disrespectful, especially if you don't sign it. You could talk to your instructor directly - maybe higher ranks do more contact in sparring, I don't know. But with most of your posts it seems you really don't seem to like the school you go to. Why don't you just leave and find another school? There are plenty of schools around that allow more contact, why not find one of those? btw being a martial artist is a lot more than having the best flashiest highest kicks or who can break the most boards. Respect is incredibly important and you appear to have none for your school, instructors, or your training. My advice, talk to your instructor about this like an adult face to face, or find somewhere else to train.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 09:16 PM

I'm really sorry to break what I said about not ever posting agian. But oh well. I've gotta say my peice on this one... Then I'll leave once this topic is dead.

Since a very long time ago I've had it in my head that being a BB was about pushing yourself to your limits, and achieving great talent in your MA. Unfortunatly this is not reality, nor is it how most people see the level of BB.

In reality being a BB means nothing more than being an official member of a club. Show up to the meetings (class) for three to four years and show a decent desire to improve and your made a BB.

You don't have to be able to make a proper fist, and you don't have to do amazing flashy kicks. You just have to prove that you wanna be part of the club and you're in.

I'm not even going to send the letter now, because I'm pretty sure that the people at my school would say, "What the hell? Why's this guy wanna be so hardcore about it? I bet he wants to be able to smash 1000 boards too."

I now realize that a BB's ability to defend oneself varies from practitioner to practitioner. I'm sure that there's just as many BB's out there that can't fight well at all, as there are that are good fighters.

The thing that [censored] me off though is that almost every MA school uses the self defense B.S. as a way to lure you into their club. It wouldn't [censored] me off if self defense was a large part of their curriculum, but it's not. It's something that everyone throws on the back burner.

So what am I going to do? I don't really know. I would join a MMA class, but I prefer flashy kicks to ground grappling, and boxing. Perhaps I could find a teacher, or school that holds the same values as me (I seriously doubt that). What I'll most likely do it this... Continue attending class, and let the B.S. people be B.S. people. I'll work on improving myself and ignore those that want to do it for fun, or to stay in shape. Then one day when I'm doing amazing backflips, and tornado kicks I'll be able to hold my head high and say... "I'm an awesome athlete. Few else can do the things that I can do. Yayzors and etc.".

Edit: (Add on) I'm fine with other people doing MA as a hobby, or for fun. For now I show respect to the BB's at my school. This is because most of them are better at it than me. But what happens when I get to be a BB, and I surpass them by leaps and bounds? They will still be demanding the same unquestioning blind respect as before. Except now there only aurguement will be "Well I've been here longer than you". To me that's like a fifty year old retired boxer that never got a single win, walking up to the current heavyweight champ and saying "You must show me unquestioning respect because I've been boxing longer than you".

I believe in showing respect. However showing unquestioningly blind respect is another matter entirely. Showing that kind of respect to someone is a good way of getting conned. This is the kind of respect that republicans have for our president. It is also the kind of respect that cultists have for their cult leader.

I believe my letter was entirely respectful. I did not call them names or call them retarded or anything like that. I merely offered up my opinion on the matter and made a polite suggestion. Nothing else.

If God were to run a TKD school he would have the humility, and grace to hear my suggestion without taking it as an offence.

Heck even I have shown that kind of humility and grace. I remember newbies used to make horrible statments about card games. Many would flame them. I however took their statments with a grain of salt and guided them in the right direction. Oh well.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 09:19 PM

Open your own school, teach what you want.

Until then zip it! It's not your school. With the short time you have been training, it's not even your art.

The fact that this is even occuring suggests that you have learned little anyway. Time to move on.

Page

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 09:47 PM

Quote:

Open your own school, teach what you want.

Until then zip it! It's not your school. With the short time you have been training, it's not even your art.

The fact that this is even occuring suggests that you have learned little anyway. Time to move on.

Page

It is more my art than most people's because I take it seriously. Unlike them.

Oh and I have learned little? What was I supposed to learn? Was I supposed to learn the tenets of TKD? I am not a fan of having someone else's philosophy pushed on me. I believe in perseverence, integrity, and indomitable spirit. They all basically mean the same thing to me. Tbey mean don't give up and have some self respect. Courtesy I agree I could work on. I am not courteous at all. I never give anyone the benifit of the doubt, and I constantly question the competence of others. I do this mostly because I have learned in life that 90% of the people on this earth are dumbasses. As for self control I have none of that as well. I don't believe in it. If someone wrongs me I believe in making them pay. I feel that if I don't the world will walk all over me.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 10:07 PM

I think you are right to think for yourself...but just deal with the place where you are without bashing or complaining...or just leave. don't need fireworks, hoopla and fiascos...the dojo will keep running without giving you a second thought.
You are making the same mistake here on the forum...relax...read more, post less. you have nothing to prove. you are 21...there are more than a handful of posters here (I'm not one of them...I'm a young guy too ) that have more MA mileage on their hands than you do walking on your feet.

you are confusing humbleness with compliance...they aren't the same thing.
you can be humble...but think differently.
you can be compliant....but know better.

read this again before responding.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 10:09 PM

Quote:

It's like joining a Judo class and suggesting they do more kata.

honesty and being up front is always the best way...no sucker punches in the dojo.

Umm. Dude just shut up. All TKD schools spar. Most of them spar with full pads on. What you just said makes you look retarded and shows your ignorance about TKD schools.

I would be upfront if I felt the instructors could take my criticism with any humility. However a select few of them have their heads so far up their arses that they would probably ban me from the school post haste.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 10:20 PM

I'll ignore the insults, cuz I'm good like that.

You are at a TKD school that doesn't even play patty-cake and you are insulting me? lol

naw, on second thought...lemme throw some too:
you are a moron. and I give about 3 more posts before you are banned from here too, loser.

your posts now have about the same value as the lame TKD BB's of yours that can't kick above their pile of crap they are shoveling you.

by the way...got a link or a phone number to this lame dojo of yours? or are you going to make me find it myself? betcha I can find it before you are banned from here...ready? go....
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 10:26 PM

Quote by LDH -

Quote:

If God were to run a TKD school he would have the humility, and grace to hear my suggestion without taking it as an offence.

Heck even I have shown that kind of humility and grace.

Quote:

I am not courteous at all. I never give anyone the benifit of the doubt, and I constantly question the competence of others. I do this mostly because I have learned in life that 90% of the people on this earth are dumbasses. As for self control I have none of that as well. I don't believe in it. If someone wrongs me I believe in making them pay. I feel that if I don't the world will walk all over me.

Right. Got that everybody? He's full of humility, you idiots!!

LDH - Personal attacks will not be tolerated here. You have earned yourself 5 minute flood control. Wind your neck in or you will get banned. Quickly.

You should listen to Ed. It sounds like he has more MA knowledge than you can dream of.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 10:46 PM

http://www.tworiversmartialarts.com/locationsframe.html

crap...I might have been too late.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 11:03 PM

thanks matt, but it's not true...he probably does much more dreaming than I do MA training.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/14/05 11:45 PM

Damn your good!

One day I'm gonna set up shop and you are gonna be my IT guy, no matter the cost!!

Back to topic at hand.

LDH, people really do want to help around here. I have seen posts on other threads where you have contributed civily.

Why are you now trying to act like an A-hole? Follow Matt and Ed's advice, for 3 simple reasons.

1. They know quite alot about martial arts and good schools and training.

2. For those reasons and their willingness to entertain the idiocy of those who don't know they are idiots, and help the sincer albeit misguided, they have earned quite a bit of respect and friendship here.

3. Lastly, and maybe most importantly to you at this juncture, they can make you go away.

Nobody is telling you not to have an opinion. Just try to quit name calling and at least listen to those that you have solicited for help.

Hope this helps. If not, see you on Bullshido.

Page

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/15/05 12:45 AM

Quote:

One day I'm gonna set up shop and you are gonna be my IT guy, no matter the cost!!

I'll work for food if you teach me real Karate.

since this thread is on it's last legs anyway, let me change the subject and tone a bit if I may.
...I've been reading old threads from the 'kata app' room for the past 3 hours now. back in 2002,2001 - there was some serious back to back good solid highly advanced posting content going on. I felt like a noob reading them. A VERY far cry away from threads like our current thread's bonehead: "I'm going to write a letter to my instructor telling him how to run a dojang and slip it under his door and sneak away...is this a good idea?"
WTF? are threads like this even MA related?

read some of the past threads (+2yrs ago) ...a very different feel. I'd like to encourage people to try and approach that level of discussion again. I know I can be a goof so I'm in no position to judge - but I am in a position to judge my own posting... I'll try challenging myself to raise the bar a bit in my content. ...but still having fun of course.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/15/05 05:54 AM

LDH,

I agree with some of the other posters. You attack everyone who tries to give you advice. It is not that people don't appreciate your situation but you've been whining about this dojang, even with your Forum name. You ask for advice and then bite the hand that feeds you. Chill out dude (as you American chappies put it).

As for not liking the philosophy, well the philosophy is the art. If you don't like it then go do kick-boxing (sorry, I assume KB has no overriding philosophy other than the training and competing but I could be wrong).

You make out in all these posts that you are the best and know the lot because the lesser mortals around you don't meet your standards. You harp on about how BB's in your place are so bad, well now you know why people often have no time for the belt system or put any great value in it.

The thing is that by comparing yourself to everyone else you are trying to prove how great you are and how inferior they are, rather than work on your own self-improvement. OK, you are disappointed because the ideal you once had, that BB was worth something, is a fallacy. this doesn't have to affect you. Train for yourself, not for other people.

Now, you'll probably say "Hey Dude, I do train for myself to get better, that's what all this is about!" WRONG, the tone of your posts suggests you are training to compare yourself to other people and to show how superior you are.

Why don't you ask around and see if anyone else is as disappointed as you and suggest some private sessions where you can train how you want to (suggest it to the instructors, they might agree and encounrage you). You might find the slackers want to come and might work harder in such an environment... you could also help to inspire them and advise them how they could do better (seriously, I'm not taking the p*ss). We used to do this in my first club, one of the BB's and a couple of green and yellow belts just met for sparring. I was a total beginner and benefitted a lot from it.

The matter of your letter, well the contant itself was not so bad, it was the thought behind it which was a problem. You've hit the nail on the head about their reaction... "Hey, so what?". That would be the reaction if you didn't put your name on it. Believe me, I've written complaints to people and have an idea about these things.

So, relax dude, chill a bit and listen to advice, chew on it and then decide whether you want to spit it back in our faces.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/15/05 09:41 AM

LDH, here's some sincere advice:

Learn patience.
Learn the difference between humility and hubris.
Get off your High-Horse.
Show your instructors actual respect, don't pay them lip-service.
Stop focusing on rank. It's a journey, not a destination.
Stop being so impressed with yourself.
Realize that other people actually might be able to teach you something about yourself.
Train your way. Let others train theirs.
Consider the possibility that your instructors just might know what they're talking about.

Here's a big one: Lose the attitude.
Quote:

For now I show respect to the BB's at my school. This is because most of them are better at it than me. But what happens when I get to be a BB, and I surpass them by leaps and bounds? They will still be demanding the same unquestioning blind respect as before. Except now there only aurguement will be "Well I've been here longer than you". To me that's like a fifty year old retired boxer that never got a single win, walking up to the current heavyweight champ and saying "You must show me unquestioning respect because I've been boxing longer than you".

That's an astoundingly arrogant comment, one that disgusts me completely. To my view, you are not a martial artist. Posting that letter anonymously in a public forum, without signing your name, would be an act of supreme cowardice that would bring a discredit to your school, yourself, and the people who raised you.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/15/05 10:41 AM

Actually my response to Ed was my first attempt at being a totall ass with no disregard for forum rules. I apolagize if any of my earlier posts insulted anyone. There were not meant to. Ed just [censored] me off because in every thread I post him, and two or three other guys consantly send personal attacks my way. I mean... look at his post that I replied to.

Asking for more sparring in TKD is like asking for more Kata in Judo.

He's not presenting an aurguement. He's flat out trying to flame and insult me.

Edit: Add on.

It was never my intention to fully insult my school on these forums. I initially came here in order to calmly talk about the worries of my school on these forums. In short this was a place to let off steam, and talk about things in confidence. But after people started calling me lamedojoattender I realized that I had inadvertently been insulting my school the whole time. Now I don't mean to be all phycological here. But I somehow made my sn reflect my inner feelings about my school. Oh well.

I suspect that Ed is currently seeking out my name and instructors in an attempt to get me banned from TKD class. If he suceeds all I have to say is oh well. I'll sorely miss class, and miss those that I truly do respect over there. You see I have quite a bit of respect for the good people at my local branch. It's the higher ups that I have a problem with. Unfortunatly I've focused so much on the bad eggs at my school that my respect for the good guys never came out. Mr. Dority, Mr. Netch, and all the Brown Belts at my school. If by some horror you chance by this one day please know that I hold no grudge agianst you guys. You are the good ones. Oh well.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/15/05 10:55 AM

Quote:

He's flat out trying to flame and insult me.

So what do you think the appropriate reaction should be? Should you:

A) Flame and insult him back.
B) Whine about it,
C) Huff and Puff; Thump your chest,
D) Ignore him, refusing to fight.

How you react to any situation is entirely up to you.

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/15/05 11:10 AM

Yep. It is. Normally I'd just present a decent counterarguement. But I'm leaving these forums as soon as this thread dies out anyway, so I thought I'd be an ass.
Posted by: harlan

Re: A letter to the head instructors at my school. - 12/15/05 11:39 AM

Well, that's a lovely invitation.

Oldman, do you think you could assist?