Indiana

Posted by: zanshi

Indiana - 11/07/05 09:03 PM

Not Sure if this is the right forum, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Indiana University Martial arts program? Just wondering if it was worth my time and the price of tuition? it would supposedly qualify you to teach and open up a school, and it is one of the only colleges in the U.S. that offer anything other than a "cardio kickboxing" class in the way of martial arts training. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks
Posted by: SassafrasRoots51

Re: Indiana - 06/21/07 05:06 PM

I, too, am looking at studying through a University. Other schools that offer more comprehensive programs are Concordia in California, Bridgeport in Conneticut and Naropa in Colorado.

I'm wondering though if these degrees are taken seriously in the world of Martial Arts? I'm sure some will say its a waste of time, but I've had difficulty finding a good teacher at a regular dojo (including good location and good prices).

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Posted by: KickSlipTrickYa

Re: Indiana - 07/26/07 09:57 AM

HPER-E 144 Chi Gong (1 cr.) Designed to give students an understanding and an appreciation of the function of chi gong. Qigong (another spelling of this ancient Chinese art) is an energy balancing and energy generation and restoration method of training consisting of visualizations and affirmations combined with a series of gentle movements that can be easily learned by anyone who wants to improve and sustain their health and wellness. Students are expected to learn a set of chi gong and other basic techniques of tension release and energy restoration. Grading will be based on attendance.

HPER-E 145 Introduction to the Martial Arts (2 cr.) Introduction to the martial arts, including karate, hapkido, jujitsu, judo, aikido, kung-fu, boxing, and wrestling. Learn the core concepts of each art and gain a working understanding of what the martial arts are all about, and the differences between them.

HPER-E 147 Hapkido (1 cr.) Instruction in techniques for throwing, blocking, striking, kicking, and self-defense applications of joint locks. Students should achieve technical skill level of yellow belt. Judo uniform required.

HPER-E 148 T’ai Chi Ch’uan (1 cr.) Introduction to the slow movements of t’ai chi ch’uan. Course provides instruction in William C. C. Chen’s 60 movement form, physics of body leverage, history, philosophy, and cultural context. One of the most popular forms of exercise in China.

HPER-E 149 Judo (1 cr.) Basic instruction in the fundamental skills of judo to provide students with an understanding and appreciation for the physical and mental fundamentals to participate in the sport of Judo. Includes throwing, grappling, and self defense. Student should achieve the technical skill level of Go-kyu or yellow belt.

HPER-E 150 Karate (1 cr.) Beginning instruction in techniques of blocking, kicking, striking, punching, limited free fighting, and self defense. Students should achieve technical level of yellow belt. Karate uniform required.

HPER-E 151 Self Defense (1 cr.) Beginning taekwondo (Korean Karate) instruction in the basic techniques of blocking, kicking, striking, punching, forms, and one-step sparring. Students should achieve technical skill level of yellow belt (eighth kup) in taekwondo by mid-term and orange belt (seventh kup) by finals. Uniform required.

PER-E 245 Cultures and Traditions of the Martial Arts (2 cr.) Examination of the cultures and traditions that shape the martial arts of East Asia, with greatest emphasis on the influence of China upon its neighbors. Martial arts from India, Indonesia, Thailand, Korea, Japan, etc., will also be covered. Lectures and video.

HPER-E 247 Intermediate Hapkido (1 cr.) Designed to give students an increased understanding and an appreciation of the art of hapkido. Content emphasis involves advanced applications of basic hapkido techniques and self-defense. Students should achieve the technical level of a green belt in hapkido.

HPER-E 248 Intermediate T’ai Chi Ch’uan (1 cr.) P: HPER-E 148 or consent of instructor. This intermediate course examines the everyday practice of t’ai chi ch’uan. Course presents refinement of William C. C. Chen’s 60 movement form, da lu, and push-hands. Provides examples of neutralizing, throwing, striking, and strategic and philosophic concepts.

HPER-E 249 Intermediate Judo (1 cr.) P: HPER-E 149 Judo. Instruction in the fundamental skills of intermediate judo. Includes directional throwing, grappling, and self defense. Student should achieve the technical skill level of Yon-kyu or green belt.

HPER-E 250 Karate—Intermediate (1 cr.) P: Yellow belt technical level or consent of instructor. Instruction in advanced applications of basic techniques and free fighting. Students should achieve technical level of green belt. Karate uniform required.

I will be learning push hands in TC hehe, I hope to see you fall semester of 2007 W0000T ya another IU student! hu ha whooops I slipped =)

oh ya, the instructors are cool, they will beat the sox off of Lee's Karate and Bloomington Karate School. Undoubtedly they know far more just by attending one of their free classes. Also I noticed they're teaching Chi Gong YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that means it works, glad I did not waste my time doing it.
Posted by: KickSlipTrickYa

Re: Indiana - 07/31/07 01:19 PM

I looked into it even more, Luke teaches BJJ. You need a gi to show up and you should be on time ^.^ (a little lesson passed on). The Club is free and meets 4 times, the classes I think meet twice a week and it costs $25 for a semester (thats bargain big MA right there).

Hapkido is taught by a few guys, I met Brian. Both are black belts and the summer class is small, only 3 people when I showed up. It's fun and very fast. It also costs $25 a semester but so far no one has even brought that up.
http://www.indiana.edu/~iusdc/
Club Times
Mon - Thu, 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm.
HPER 095
Sat - Sun, 12:00pm to 4:00 pm.
@ the Fort

Judo is taught by Cody. He's awesome, the class had 1 other dude in it who weighed a buck 35 but could pick me up on his back like it was nothing. Great class. He teaches falls the first time you show up so bring a Gi. http://www.indiana.edu/~judo/

MCMA (monroe county martial arts) http://monroecountymartialarts.com/index.html is the alternative to IU's classes in Bloomington (that i know of) other than Lee's Karatee which is under reconstruction as I type. They moved from 3rd street....... to 3rd street. And I haven't heard super remarks about Lee's nor have I heard bad ones.

All of these clubs meet extra outside on the fields during the summer, you just have to email the head of each club to find out!

But don't think this is all, we have a lot more clubs: just check em out
* Aikido
* Fencing
* Filipino Styles
* Hapkido
* Jeet Kune Do
* Ju-Jitsu
* Judo
* Karate
* Kendo
* Kung-Fu and Wushu
* MA Links Nexi
* Miscellaneous
* Ninjutsu
* Pyong Hwa Do
* Russian Styles
* Self-Defense
* Silat
* Sumo
* Tae Kwon Do
* Taijiquan (Tai Chi)
* Tang Soo Do
* VietNamese Arts
* Wing Chun
* Wrestling (amateur)
* Wrestling (Ultimate)

And if any of these intrest you; check out IU's club page.
http://www.indiana.edu/~martial/links.php

As for the starting your own business aspect, I really couldn't tell you, but I've never heard of that.