Class management software

Posted by: Zombie Zero

Class management software - 10/26/05 09:52 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an easy, effective way to keep track of my students, their progress, belt levels, etc. on my computer.

I've been building a database with MS Access, but it's a pain in the rump.

I've seen one software that looks great, and would do exactly what I'm looking for, but it costs about $400. That's a way too expensive for an instructor who doesn't get paid in dollars.

What do you use to keep track of things? Anything you can recommend that would make the administrative side of my job easier would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Class management software - 10/27/05 08:54 AM

Unless you're teaching 500 students in 20 locations and making a mint, you don't need a program.

Set stuff up on a simple excel sheet and it'll do what you want.

You don't need a program
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Class management software - 10/27/05 08:55 AM

Yeah, I've been clocking a lot of time with Access lately. It's getting there.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Class management software - 10/27/05 09:06 AM

Access is for people with a lot of time on their hands. Excel is great, easy to use/learn. The trick, really, is in the thinking that goes in before hand. (Spreadsheet design is fun, actually.)

1. What do you want to do? Don't use a huge and expensive database program and force things on it that are better done as a Word list or Excel file.

2. For tracking bills/revenue, I really like a shareware program that I got off the Internet a couple of years ago. It is called "Titanium Checkbook", costs about $25. Has a neat forecast feature. Got it in January one year, plugged all the info in, used the forecast feature to see when I would go negative, rearranged the bills, and within a year was able to find savings and bought a house!
Posted by: AndyL

Re: Class management software - 11/25/05 09:07 AM

First post, finished lurking - here goes.

You might try looking at the software below and getting a trial version. The developer runs his own dojo, which is where I train. Everybody keys their own attendance (numeric keypad or barcode on the club card), shows notices (eg. upcoming events), forthcoming gradings ("try for xth kyu on "), avg classes per week and number of classes attended since last grading.

Full Contact Software (www.fullcontact.com.au)

I hope this helps.

Andrew
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Class management software - 11/25/05 12:35 PM

you don't say....sounds swell.

welcome.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Class management software - 01/17/06 07:18 AM

Hey Z,

I hate to bring to live an old thread, but I was cruising the net and stumbled upon this software and I remembered you has asked about something.

http://championsway.com/Products/Martial...e-Solution.html