Style choice with disability

Posted by: Polarhound

Style choice with disability - 10/09/05 03:37 PM

I have been considering a MA, but there is one circumstance which will make some things tough. Specifically, I have very limited foot flexibility due to birth defects. As they get worse during the day, I have less and less movement, and odd movements can cause debilitating pain. On a good day I have 20% normal vertical movement and less than 5% lateral. Despite this, I have done jobs such as concert security successfully. Except in extreme circumstances I can block out most of the pain mentally.

I am looking for a style that will help my balance and concentration with defense being a secondary consideration. Given my history, I am comfortable in extreme close quarters but prefer to stay away from extensive grappling.

While I have not given much, if any, thought to weapons training, I have been intrigued with the bo-staff. This is an area I would possibly like to explore further.

Thoughts?
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Style choice with disability - 10/09/05 03:45 PM

I think any style you choose would be great as long as you have a good instructor who can work with your disability.
I like working with the bo,I think you would too.

BTW "bo staff" is redundant.

Edit: I forgot to welcome you to the forums!!
Posted by: trevek

Re: Style choice with disability - 10/10/05 04:50 AM

Perhaps too automatically I think of Tai Chi. As you like the idea of bo, maybe tai chi staff.