What makes a drill a good drill.

Posted by: jc4199

What makes a drill a good drill. - 10/01/05 11:57 PM

As part of my belt test I was asked to come up with a good drill. The drill must utilize speed, Balance Striking, Blocking and accuracy all in one drill. Now I don't want you guys to do the work for me but what makes a drill a good drill?
Thanks
Jason
Posted by: butterfly

Re: What makes a drill a good drill. - 10/02/05 12:06 AM

JC,

The simple answer would be any drill that benefits you in some way is a good drill.

Generally though, drills work to achieve some specific goal. Combo drills for muscle memory and correct power. Correct body alignment and foot work. Correct angling around an opponent.

All of these things are good. Depends on the goals, the weaknesses of the performer, and focus of the techniques to be used.

Good luck!

-B
Posted by: jc4199

Re: What makes a drill a good drill. - 10/05/05 11:08 PM

Thanks for the reply here is the drill that I came up with
Gauntlet drill for skills 1-5

1. Down block
2. Up Block
3. Front Kick
4. Forward punch
5. Reverse punch

Form off into groups of six (if you do not have six three will work.) Each person has a letter A-F
1 starts line up 2-6 in a zigzag line
Like so
------------------<C-----------<E
A Starts>
------------<B-----------<D------------<F
A moves with good foot work to B who calls out a number 1-5 A must do that technique right before B lets him pass Repeat with C - F every one must use a different technique. After A is done make him F and move everyone up a Letter.

Lets say person B yells out a block (1 or 2) he then must punch at person A letting person A the appropriate block IF person B calls for a strike (3,4,5) person B needs to block the strike

Try to keep everyone moving as fast and safe as possible
Posted by: UofM Shorin Ryu

Re: What makes a drill a good drill. - 10/07/05 12:29 AM

You could also have everyone stand in a circle around 1 person, designate a block or punch or combo for him to execute, then have the others take turns attacking in a random order. Have the attackers kiai so the poor defender knows where to turn, start slow, then go faster and faster.

The defender has to utilize both hands in blocking, striking, and accuracy, it will work his balance and reaction time too. Switch techniques and defenders as necessary.

Plus the attacker gets some stuff out of the drill too, lotta fun!

If your students are good enough, you don't even have to name a technique, just have the defender defend himself against whatever comes his way!

Just an alternate suggestion, take it as you will.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: What makes a drill a good drill. - 10/08/05 03:08 AM

Ahhh, yes-we call this monkey in the middle.
Except we don't kia when we attack. You either see them coming or takes your lumps.

We also assign each attacker a number-the instructor yells out a number or numbers. The attacker/attackers spring into action.

Good times, good times.