Highly Sensative Persons

Posted by: zanshi

Highly Sensative Persons - 09/16/05 09:23 PM

Hey all, not sure if this is the right forum, but I was wondering if any of you have any opinions about how being a "Highly Sensative Person" ("research shows that about 15-20% of humans and higher animals have a nervous system that is more sensitive to subtleties. This means that regular sensory information is processed and analyzed to a greater extent, which contributes to creativity, intuition, sensing implications and attention to detail, but which may also cause quicker overstimulation and overarousal." -- wikipedia) would affect someone's learning of the martial ars? I'm wondering if it would make it an even richer experience for them, or if they would be more or less "overwhelmed" by the experience/to distracted to learn? Just something to think about; I'd apreciate your input.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Highly Sensative Persons - 09/17/05 05:08 AM

I would say that training in the MA's is about heightening one's sensitivity, yet being able to focus through distractions. It is unique in that it both widens and narrows your vision at the same time.
So for 'over sensitive' (easily distracted?) people it can help them with calming focus, and for those who see only what is in front of them, it can broaden their horizons.

These effects are largely down to the teacher and their methods, rather than the art itself however.