Sparring to Music

Posted by: RossKo

Sparring to Music - 08/14/05 06:46 PM

Hi everyone,

This post is just to ask you guys and girls what you think to training to music.
Once when I was a Kyu grade (Freestyle Karate/Kickboxing) we were sparring and had done about 6 3minute rounds of semi contact and were all absolutely dead when my instructor produced a big old CD player and started playing fairly loud dance music. It was as if we all got some extra energy from somewhere and actually didn't look like Fraggle Rock any more!
I have recently opened up a club and have a good student base (so far) and want to incorporate it as part of their training but don't really want word to spread that I run some sort of Cardio Kickboxing class or Aerobics class when we have a traditional martial arts background. Maybe if I only use it sometimes? Does anyone out there use this kind of training. I have seen a CD that seems to perfectly fit the bill from Martial Concept as advertised in Combat magazine. What are your views.

Thanks in advance for any replies! ??
Posted by: shihan_chris

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/14/05 07:00 PM

At my dojo and the dojo I train at, we don't listen to music while training, but at home I do. I find that it really gets me going. Music always motivates me to do something, whether its doing karate, chores around the house, or spontaneously deciding to take a trip to Japan or Mexico.
Posted by: Korbillion

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/14/05 07:43 PM

I cant say that I am a fan of it. I try to stress to myself and my students that motivation is something best internalized. Using music to that end is, as far as I am concerned, a short cut, and one that is ultimately self defeating.

Korb
Posted by: PierrePressure

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/14/05 11:51 PM

Ehhh....speaking from a student's standpoint, I'd say it would be a good idea occaisonally, like in a situation you just described. BUT, I also agree with the previous poster that to have it all the time wouldn't be good (because *like he said* you need to find your own motivation). Moderation and intuition are your keys .
Posted by: jaret345

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/15/05 12:38 AM

i always listen to music while i workout and got to boxing it motivates me, and about what the other guys were saying i don't think theres anything wrong with listening to music at all especially during traing but when i'm sparring i'm usually already pumped up anyway so that doesn't really matter to me but still it helps theres nothin wrong with it
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/15/05 10:09 AM

dance music and similar music is a few bph faster than the average heart-rate which raises the heartbeat so you have more oxygen in your muscles and more energy, this is why people in clubs can dance for so long (that and knocking back a couple of E's lol) it would have the same effect during your training.
Posted by: flipsamurai

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/19/05 07:07 AM

music works for me, it kinda sets me in a type of flow depending on how fast or slow the music goes.

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/19/05 08:44 AM

it reminds of the part in shaun of the dead were they're beating up the zombie pub landlord with pool cues to the beat of a queen song, the even speed up for the four double time beats lol
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/19/05 01:18 PM

Quote:

but don't really want word to spread that I run some sort of Cardio Kickboxing class or Aerobics class

1st Dan kickboxing 'personal trainer' opening a club, playing music while sparring... why would anyone think that?
and why wouldn't you want word to spread? it's not less marketable than TMA, I wouldn't think. just as another marketing tip, you should change your title from 'personal trainer' to 'Headmaster'....just sounds better and more martial-artsy.

good luck with your new business/franchise venture!

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/19/05 03:27 PM

just for gods sake man don't play eye of the tiger!!

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/19/05 04:34 PM

I've always suggested :
"Do you really want to hurt me?" by Culture Club
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/21/05 04:22 AM

Fighting is a dance. Music is a natural compainion of combat. Has been for centuries.

I find music can be good for not just motivation. But timing as well. I think it can help beginners develop timming and rhythm. If you can move in your stance with a certain flow / dance. It can be rather hypnotic, intimidating and distracting to your opponent.

Besides if it makes martial arts more fun for your students. Then use it.

Having fun is what it's all about.
Posted by: hugo

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/21/05 07:18 AM

Quote:

Fighting is a dance. Music is a natural compainion of combat. Has been for centuries.

I find music can be good for not just motivation. But timing as well. I think it can help beginners develop timming and rhythm. If you can move in your stance with a certain flow / dance. It can be rather hypnotic, intimidating and distracting to your opponent.

Besides if it makes martial arts more fun for your students. Then use it.

Having fun is what it's all about.

Well said friend. Well said. Personally my philosophy on such matters is: does it work? If so use it. Does it increase the level of danger? No? Then don't? Is it marginal? Yes? Do it. That sort of pattern is one that works I find. A little music can't do any harm.

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/21/05 06:12 PM

If you happen to be sparring in 4/4 time and listening to Rock, then I can see it being useful for timing...but I'd say adrenaline is the only added factor when you spar to music. besides, do you actually time the strikes, parry and footwork to the music? If not, how is timing even involved, never mind improvement of your timing.

My understanding is that rythym in sparring is asyncronous and non-repeating... more like Jazz.

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/21/05 06:21 PM

have you're own jazz band in the corner of the dojo, bassist with a pork pie hat and a smoke looking half asleep, a trumpeteer who's always squinting cos he's probably blind but no-ones ever asked and a crazy old drummer.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/22/05 11:51 AM

Quote:

Does it increase the level of danger?

Must not reply, must not reply, must not reply......aaargh......How on earth can music increase the level of danger?.......Bugger.....I replied! Damn, damn and double damn!

Re: Sparring to Music - 08/27/05 05:59 PM

Cheers Kintama,

I haven't got the CD yet but I'm going to now I've read everybody's replys. I think it will definately help my students develop rhythm and timing. I think the speed of the music on the CD is 148 bpm, a bit faster than jazz but less motivational than Eye of the Tiger! On my fifth week at my school and it seems to be doing well so far. They started to learn to spar on the fourth week (one step) and are progressing to free sparring so I'm expecting the numbers to drop a little. (they did at my old club - seems everybody suddenly realizes its a contact sport!) I've got 30 ish students now so should be set for christmas cards!

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/11/06 08:07 AM

I know this is a really old post but at the time I entered it on the forum I got a nasty computer virus and haven't been on here for ages. Wanted to revive it again! I still havent tried the sparring to music thing yet, but was talking to my chief instructor who came to grade my club yesterday and it came up again in conversation. Apparently one of our other chief instructors has had great success with it so far but our other instructors are divided as to whether to use this method or not. Some of our more traditional instructors say that if it wasn't neccessary for thousands of years then its not neccessary now. More modern opinions agree its not neccessary but we should move with the times and try it.

As for it being more dangerous I meant from a health and safety point of view. it may be difficult to stop the loud music if I need to give instructions!

Thanks to any new input or exerience of trying this!!

Rossko
Posted by: trevek

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/11/06 09:14 AM

Capoerra is sparring to music. Thai boxing has sparring to music, Pehlivan wrestling is done with drums and zurlas.

Why not kick ass to Abba!

You might find some hard hip-hop is useful.

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/11/06 10:36 AM

Thanks Trevek,

I actually didn't think of it like that! Not sure about Abba, need lots and lots of bpm's!
Hip Hop eh?

Rossko
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/11/06 01:50 PM

I've actually produced some music that I intentionally composed for sparring. I wanted to see if I could put it on and get a reaction from people. It's true - hip hop tracks do work incredibly well and I believe this is because the bass pound coupled with the slightly dragging beat causes the body to relax, yet raises concsiousness. I believe this is why it is so popular in urban areas - where people need to be totally aware of what's going on around them, yet they still need to go with the flow and relax to cope with the stress.
I'm no scientist though, I could just be makin stuff up
Posted by: schanne

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/11/06 03:03 PM

Music in the Dojo.....what the?! Sorry, very old school. Got to run my ballet class is starting , can't be late were working on toe point shoes tonight, oh... it's such fun!
Posted by: Revanus

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/11/06 04:36 PM

Was that an insult? how dare you! You just forced me to use my home-made super-evil lasercannon!
Naah, just kidding.. I don't have a super-evil lasercannon.... but anyway, music sounds interesting. But one should not depend on it to get the adrenaline flowing. Sparring should be un-rythmical after my opinion, then the opponent won't have a clue about when you are going to go head-on, side-to-side or whatever. Anyway, i think it's a good motivator when training alone!
Since i'm a newbie here i shouldn't try to lecture anyone, just making an opinion

Sayonara green banana!
Posted by: trevek

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/12/06 08:48 AM

I believe that some styles of hip-hop are related to capoerra rhythmns (supposedly where breakdancing developed). I think it's possible to get cappoera music mixed with HH. maybe some African or Indian stuff mixed with electronic beats couldbe good because of the erratic rhythms.

As for sparring being non-rhythmical, I feel part of sparring is to be able to break your rhythm to confuse the opponent (that's how it works in cap)
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/12/06 12:57 PM

Now you're talkin!

I don't think you want to give a rythm to an opponent - that would be a big no no in sparring. But, if you can keep it inside you and work with it in ways that aren't visible to anyone, you have an advantage IMO. But like I said, my whole life has revolved around music, so that's just me.
Frankly, I always need background sound.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/12/06 03:47 PM

It can actually have another benefit. I have heard of Systema classes where instructors blare death metal at unberably loud levels while practicing. The idea is not to have music you enjoy while you are training, it is to teach you to ignore unimportant peripheral distraction while in combat. Focus on the rhythm of the fight, not the music, so to speak... It sounds like a good idea, if you pardon the expression.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/12/06 04:01 PM

Quote:

The idea ... is to teach you to ignore unimportant peripheral distraction while in combat.

I thought that was what the parents in the waiting area were for? Granted I think most kids have that skill mastered by the time they are 2

Laura
Posted by: theoldone

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/12/06 04:06 PM

You can actually silently "dictate" the rhythm of your opponent in setting up for an attack through subtle footwork, body movements, timing, etc., etc.

It's like you're playing a nice, soothing tune on the CD player for your opponent to relax to; he relaxes into the rhythm, then bam! the music suddenly changes to heavy metal.

Or it's like you you're listening to your favorite tune, all relaxed, nice and easy and then your mom yells at the top of her voice. "Junior! Get your b*tt into your room and clean up that mess!"

Quote:

Now you're talkin!

I don't think you want to give a rythm to an opponent - that would be a big no no in sparring. But, if you can keep it inside you and work with it in ways that aren't visible to anyone, you have an advantage IMO. But like I said, my whole life has revolved around music, so that's just me.
Frankly, I always need background sound.

Re: Sparring to Music - 05/12/06 04:48 PM

You leave the post for 12 hours and it goes bonkers!! Where were all you lot when I was bored yesterday!! Thanks for all the positive opinions about music. I'm definately going to try it out. Not very often I don't think but definately soon!

[It's true - hip hop tracks do work incredibly well and I believe this is because the bass pound coupled with the slightly dragging beat causes the body to relax, yet raises concsiousness. I believe this is why it is so popular in urban areas - where people need to be totally aware of what's going on around them, yet they still need to go with the flow and relax to cope with the stress.]

Never thought of that but I guess thats an interesting way to put it, probably got a point. I thought dance music originally was a good idea purely because of the beats per minute, but now you've changed my mind. I'd try to get a copy of your CD but Chicago is a long way to send it!

[Sparring should be un-rythmical after my opinion, then the opponent won't have a clue about when you are going to go head-on, side-to-side or whatever.]

Totally true but many people seem to agree that good fighters can dance (I cant so I'm obviously a bad fighter-don't hurt me) because they've got rhythm. Bruce Lee was a ballroom dancing champion wasn't he? When he was younger? Anyway its just for some inspiration and motivation. Welcome Newbie and thanks.

[I have heard of Systema classes where instructors blare death metal at unberably loud levels while practicing. The idea is not to have music you enjoy while you are training, it is to teach you to ignore unimportant peripheral distraction while in combat. Focus on the rhythm of the fight, not the music, so to speak... It sounds like a good idea, if you pardon the expression.]

Obviously more to it than motivation then! So many hidden reasons why it might be a good idea to try it. Does anyone think that it might be a wierd advanced sparring session with slow music on? Kind of forcing you to either spar like tortoise or go against the noise in your ears?

There are probably as many cons as pro's but I'm definately going to give it a try. It seems as if the people who have commented in a negative way on this post haven't given specific reasons why it would be a bad idea (read as "please put cons!"). They've only disagreed to the practice on the grounds of it not being traditional!

Rossko
Posted by: vashtheblade

Re: Sparring to Music - 11/10/06 02:23 PM

The greatest sight is always seen when focusing on something else. Music helps relax some people and it improves there ability to do something
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Sparring to Music - 11/10/06 06:00 PM

Hello Rossko:

For what purpose would you use such music? If you do choose music stick with the instrumental music and nothing with lyrics. Sparring is difficult enough, why make the process louder ?

Jeff
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Sparring to Music - 11/10/06 06:11 PM

I can think of no better way to train than with music going in the background. The music is normally rock because I have it dialed into a rock station. However I'd listen to variety of musical genres for training purposes and have; anything from techno, to Middle Eastern (Indian) music. It's all good.

-John
Posted by: karate_popo

Re: Sparring to Music - 10/07/07 08:42 PM

we play music at our dojo.. i started with my sensie at a self defense class in college where we played music and i got used to it.., then at his private dojo, we listen to classic rock , and rock.. it is not too loud.. just something to kill the silence.. i know it's a bit unorthodox, but there has never been a problem with it