better forms.

Posted by: funstick5000

better forms. - 08/02/05 01:15 PM

many people on here use the mantra 'imagine you are fighting real opponents' when they talk about practising forms/katas but does anyone know of anyone ever bothering to have someone else do the attacks which the the kata/form defends and blocks?
Posted by: Christie

Re: better forms. - 08/02/05 01:27 PM

Quote:

does anyone know of anyone ever bothering to have someone else do the attacks which the the kata/form defends and blocks?

Yes I do, as a white belt, my instructor did that ... and you know what, it really helped. At first I didn't even know it was a form I was doing. The instructor just attacked and told me what moves I should do when he did the attack. Because of this I look at forms completely different, this outlook helps me to have a better understanding of my forms because this how I was taught to look at them right from the get go.
Posted by: harlan

Re: better forms. - 08/02/05 01:29 PM

Isn't that bunkai?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: better forms. - 08/02/05 01:33 PM

Bunkai used as a learning tool, impressive.

Re: better forms. - 08/02/05 01:34 PM

Quote:

Bunkai used as a learning tool, impressive.

what is bunkai?

Re: better forms. - 08/02/05 01:38 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunkai read that.

Re: better forms. - 08/02/05 02:27 PM

so its the 'proper' term for imagining enemys then.

Re: better forms. - 08/02/05 03:51 PM

I guess you could say that. But it's got a lot to do with interpreting other applications of techniques. For example a block can often be used as a grappling move. In certain cases, I have been sure that a technique in a TKD pattern was a throw or armlock and have been told by my instructor that it is most certainly a block. Everyone has their own interpretation as to what a technique means, the process of discovering these is the thing which I am talking about.
Posted by: sunspots

Re: better forms. - 08/02/05 03:53 PM

In my school, we sometimes do kata with "attackers," especially with the beginners. It seems to be a good reality check for them, showing them that kata are not just dance routines. It also helps them with realistic positioning.
Posted by: GungFuTy

Re: better forms. - 08/03/05 04:28 PM

In class I try to always explain possible applications of movements within a form. We have also done forms with attackers. Everyone says it really helps them visualize when practicing in the air. Another good way to improve forms is once you have the movements down practice them at variable speeds. I do forms slow for technique, foot work, stances etc.....once that is complete practice the same thing at slightly faster speeds. This method works well for me.
Posted by: Christie

Re: better forms. - 08/03/05 09:48 PM

Another way to improve forms is practice movements speratly, outside of doing the form. For instance in my kicking series I kept having a problem with the double side kick (low then high) when doing it with my left leg (after coming around from doing it with my right leg). So I isolated the part I was having problems with and practiced it over and over again for at least 20mins (which isn't really that long). I can do it now, better then I could before, I don't lose my balance.