Becoming a better student

Posted by: jc4199

Becoming a better student - 08/02/05 01:23 AM

Becoming a better student.

Any tips or pointers on becoming a better student.

What would like to see your students do and what would you no like to see them do?

I know that this is kind of of a lame and generic Question but I know some of you out there can help.
Thanks
Jc4199
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Becoming a better student - 08/02/05 01:33 AM

Every student comes to a particular style with whatever he has. This means that there will be good students who get it right away and...not so good students who need more time to get it.

In any case, the best that an instructor can illicit from his or her students is the best that they can do and consistant trying to be better.

A teacher is not known by the best student...there will always be a "best" student despite the instruction. What a good teacher is known for is inspiring those of lesser abilitites to improve themselves.

-B
Posted by: GaryHanson

Re: Becoming a better student - 08/02/05 04:28 AM

Hi Jc4199
Being fairly new to MA (karate) myself, I also want to become a better student.
Due to my astronomical age <47, big sigh> I do struggle with learning, and I need much more time than the younger students.

I have made certain rules for myself in order to become better.

a) I attend my karate classes at very regular intervals.
b) I try to eat properly
c) I attend gym at regular intervals
d) I do stretching at home
e) I try to remain positive
f) I accept my slow progress

Could any of you experienced MAs give us some feed back please ... Is there anything else one can do to become a better student?

Gary
Posted by: GungFuTy

Re: Becoming a better student - 08/02/05 10:36 AM

Gary,
I think that you are on the right track. Students who consistently practice in and outside of class just progress faster. Don't be too worried about your comparing your learning speed to other people in the class. We have a tendency to see our own weaknesses. So the last one on your list is a very good one. Stay positive, and have fun ...you may be progressing faster than you realize.

P.S. Some students who seem to be progressing through learning techniques and forms quickly may often find that other aspects of there MA suffer....stay balanced, and continue to work on the core principles of your art. That’s my advice.
Posted by: cory

Re: Becoming a better student - 08/02/05 11:41 AM

becoming a better student is simply this, practice in the morning and at ight, know why your doing what you are doing. me, i am developing my own martial art involving the Iron Palm. i practice, train, focus, and direct the chi, focus the energy through the needed areas, train your moves to hit with power by inhaling as you move, and exhaling focusing energy as you attack. by doing this you should become a better student, all you need to do is stick with it. if somone bruises you, you make them bleed, they make you bleed, you break their bones, they break your bones, you take their life. hope this helps. liquidfire90@hotmail.com
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Becoming a better student - 08/02/05 12:11 PM

Quote:

Becoming a better student.

Any tips or pointers on becoming a better student.

What would like to see your students do and what would you no like to see them do?

I know that this is kind of of a lame and generic Question but I know some of you out there can help.
Thanks
Jc4199

Two things:

Listen.

Ask questions.

Do this and you will learn quickly.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Becoming a better student - 08/02/05 08:28 PM

Two things:

Listen.

Ask questions.

Do this and you will learn quickly.

Absolutely agree with that. Here is part of a speech that I give my students from time to time.
Don't just turn up here and train, take it home with you as well. Don't just take for granted what is being taught, question it. Question me, question yourselves, question everything. Start your minds, your bodies will follow.

At the end of every class I ask for questions. Very few people come up with one. They always think of questions a day later. If you think of something you need clarification on, write it down so you don't forget to ask.

Also a jujutsu white belt.
Posted by: 1973

Re: Becoming a better student - 08/04/05 05:13 PM

Here are a few things:
Attitude- nothing replaces it, and it's the short word for some of the advice you've already gotten.
Have some patience with yourself.Some things will take a certain amount of time, even with diligent practice and talent, give yourself that time and reduce any frustration with any (seeming) lack of progress.
I've found it helpful with students,that when they learn something new to review it if not physically then at least mentally within 12-24 hours and you will remember it much better and likely have a couple questions for next class. If you wait two or three days to try and practice/remember it, you usually won't do as well.
Practicing technique is important but don't ignore your physical fitness training such as strength, cardiovascular, balance etc. sometimes if your having technique difficulty the answer is improving physically and technique improves. Good question though, seems only a good student would ask this.
Posted by: PierrePressure

Re: Becoming a better student - 08/11/05 12:56 PM

I'd say something that has been really important for me (as a student) is to not beat myself up if I don't get it or if I'm struggling. I thought I had overcome this problem, but I recently learned three new techniques, and apparently I hadn't. One of my instructors quickly pointed it out to me, and I have begun to let it go. Getting frustrated and beating yourself up will only hinder you. Stick to it, and remember that the moves in martial arts are unlike (probably) anything you've ever done before. That's what I keep in mind .