dojo flooring

Posted by: Kintama

dojo flooring - 07/18/05 11:23 PM

Just curious as to what types of indoor mat/floor people train on. It would be ideal for a dojo to have both mat and hardwood, but square area in smaller dojos usually don't allow for any practical combo (unless you go with a folding mat), so it needs to be one or the other. In the past 10 years or so, mat flooring has really come a long way. Remember the interlocking square puzzle mats? then, there was the pad with cover like a huge pool lining, slippery as hell with sweat on it.
The common seamless cross-linked polyethylene foam with vinyl/polyester covering is half decent. but what are the brand new technologies that seem promising for durability/traction/cost/etc. ? anyone have good/bad experiences with X type or Y brand?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: dojo flooring - 07/18/05 11:44 PM

Grass,dirt,the occasional sticker(hate those things!)
Ideally I would like hardwood flooring wih some 20'x20'x1 1/4" wrestling mats.
I would appreciate advice on this too. I am looking at spending about $6-800 on this size mat.I've loked on ebay for a while,but the shipping kills me!
Posted by: eyrie

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 12:00 AM

The ONLY surface worth training on is tatami.

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 07:05 AM

tatami? you may as well roll on a cheese grater! lol

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 07:44 AM

Nah, the cheese grater is used for suwari waza

Seriously, as a training surface, nothing beats tatami. It's hard wearing, and just plain hard (in winter it feels like concrete). Apparently some of the newer materials that try to emulate tatami aren't too bad, from what I've heard, but compared to tatami....well, there's just no comparison.

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 10:14 AM

I must be thinking of the wider pitch tatami used in certain rooms of houses in Japan.
I wouldn't think profuse sweating would be too good for it. how about the smell of sweat built up in the weave for years? I associate tatami in Japan with formal and dining areas...not with gyms. although Akido might use tatami now that I think of it, but those guys don't need to sweat right?

In any event, it's an idea to consider but I'm pretty sure I can't afford the good stuff, real or synthetic tatami.
Posted by: oldman

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 10:56 AM

I chose to use puzzle mats from Zebra. They are working out well so far. Firm enough for kicking, soft enough for grappling. No hard throws though.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Posted by: Christie

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 11:16 AM

That picture looks like its someones personal home basement and even if it isn't I wish my basement had that!!

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 12:13 PM

I remember pics of your basement dojo...very cool. please excuse the barrage of questions: how thick are the puzzle mats? are they hard to clean or slipery?
am I seeing that right? each mat square is about 32 inches?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 01:37 PM

In Scotland, I have the privellage of training on real tatami, imported from Japan. It's a little harder than an artificial mat, more like hitting the ground without padding.

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 01:43 PM

Kin,
The mats are 1" thick and I meter square. The surface is not porous like some of the other puzzle mats. I don't have a problem with them being to slick. I was concerned that they might be too soft and cause torsion on the knees while kicking but I'm able to pivot without sinking in or sticking. They come reversible either red and blue or black and grey. I vacuum them and mop them occaisionally without to much water. The are made with a EVA closed cell foam that does not soak up moisture. During the Kansas "Monsoons" I sometimes get water around the edges in the basement. The one pet peeve is some size change with temperture shifts and the little puzzle edges stick up a little. It's more an asthetic peve the functional peve.

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 02:21 PM

I see. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about getting a sample square of a few different types. The one you described sounds ideal...by the way this is for a home basement....haven't got the measurements yet. but something like a 15x15 area.

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 09:39 PM

Just curious oldman, what do you mean by "no hard throws"?

PS: I'm trying to ascertain if the alternatives to tatami are worth the investment, in terms of durability and price.

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 10:10 PM

I forgot to mention, I think I paid about $19.00 a piece. The delivery charges sting a bit.They will send samples. they are good for seeing texture and color but you can't really get a feel for the density of the larger pieces.

Eryie,
My mats are thicker than the ones at our school. An Akikai branch practices there. I have to say as a striker / psuedo grappler I don't fall real well so "I" wouldn't want to take a big hip throw.I added a 5/8 carpet pad underneath for a little extra koosh. It is comerable to the Zebra combo mat. You can get 1.5 " from other companies.

Re: dojo flooring - 07/19/05 10:19 PM

Cool. So in other words, it's a pretty firm surface to fall on, and if you don't know how to breakfall, it would hurt. Cool. Sounds like my kinda surface! I don't like to "bounce" off the mat or sink into it.

How would you rate it as a training surface compared to tatami? (If you've trained on tatami...???) Across the dimensions of durability, density, and hardness.

At $19/piece that's very cheap! If you included shipping charges, what would each mat work out to?

I can't get Zebra (or Swains) mats here in Oz. Acromat in Oz makes something comparable (for the gymnastics arena), but it's almost as expensive as real tatami.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: dojo flooring - 07/24/05 09:24 PM

The ONLY reason I purchased the house that I just purchased is because of a 20' x 30' "floating" hardwood training area.

The prior owner taught yoga and pilates in the backyard and had a custom area built. Perfect new dojo!!

If you are not familiar with the floating floor, it is hardwood flooring on little rubber gimbels. Often used in healthclubs and professional basketball courts.

It is awesome!! Unfortunately the rest of the house is not much

Page

Re: dojo flooring - 07/24/05 09:44 PM

I have seen those...I'm jealous.
Quote:

Unfortunately the rest of the house is not much

you use the rest of the house?
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: dojo flooring - 07/24/05 11:53 PM

Oldman,

How do you clean them? Ammonia solution? Bleach?

Re: dojo flooring - 07/25/05 08:38 AM

Clean them? I currently use Pinesol. I would like to try the cleaning product Zebra sells but at $35.00 a gallon I havent been able to bring myself to buy it. Any recomendations?
Posted by: sunspots

Re: dojo flooring - 07/25/05 03:31 PM

Fletch and Oldman,
We have the same type of puzzle mats in my dojo, and I am in charge of cleaning them. I find that a good vacuuming once in awhile takes care of a lot. If the mats need to be mopped, I use a little Pine-Sol or similar stuff in warm to hot water, and try not to get the mats too wet.

If someone should bleed on the mat, we use Lysol disinfecting wipes, (like you get for the kitchen) to kill any bloodborne pathogens. Seems to work quite well.

Just my $.02

sunspots

Re: dojo flooring - 07/25/05 04:07 PM

The smell of pine makes me feel like a Lumberjack, and I'm O.K.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: dojo flooring - 07/25/05 06:24 PM

"I work all night and I sleep all day" or is it the other way around?
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: dojo flooring - 07/25/05 11:17 PM

As damaging as this can be to the mats, you might want to consider bleach for cleaning up blood. Chlorine is one of the few chemicals proven to kill the HIV virus. Ammonia is also good for cleaning blood, but it also will degrade your matts over time. The important thing is to not leave any fluid of any kind on the mat after you clean blood.
Posted by: shotokanmaster

Re: dojo flooring - 07/26/05 11:02 AM

wat would u guys rate tatami?like how good of a training area is it?
Posted by: sunspots

Re: dojo flooring - 07/27/05 03:07 PM

Bushi-no-ki,

Good thought. I will do some further checking into the bleach, maybe test a little out-of-the-way spot to see what it does to the mats. (I wonder if the manufacturers thought of this, and made the surfaces tougher?)

We also have a Black Belt who is working toward being an emergency medicine physician, I will consult with him about possible contaminations, how pathogens can spread, etc.

Thanks for the reminder,
Respectfully,
sunspots

P.S. Are you by chance going to the Internationals this weekend in Long Beach?

Re: dojo flooring - 07/27/05 04:27 PM

just as a reminder...don't use pinesol to clean tatami.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: dojo flooring - 07/27/05 05:40 PM

There is an excellent product available from medical supply houses called Tor-HB.

This will kill any contaminants, blood borne pathogens, fungus,etc.

It is inexpensive, mixes at 10:1 with water, and will not damage/leach your mats.

Also if a small area dries on your mats, it turns to powder.

Page
Posted by: Ronin1966

dojo flooring - 08/30/05 12:08 PM

What will be underneath the flooring you intend to put down? Will the floor have any kind of spring-back? Any chance you're putting the flooring on/onto a platform?

Jeff

Re: dojo flooring - 08/30/05 01:13 PM

no chance of that ...just a medium size house basement so the base is concrete. for now I'm using a cheap rug with a thin eggcarton foam cushion.

Re: dojo flooring - 08/30/05 07:56 PM

You could build a sprung wooden floor on the concrete base... Also ensures that the floor is level.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: dojo flooring - 08/30/05 08:26 PM

OK--- and now for a word from our resident curmudgeon.....

Can I make a (brief) case for using the floor wisely? I understand that people want a floor that is comfortable to workout on. I am not a huge fan of concrete. However, neither am I fan of indoor-outdoor carpeting-- the covering of choice for people wanting to moderate the temperature and unforgiving nature of concrete. In like manner, I am a real big refresh-air person but I would not run my classes outside unless I knew every square inch of the area for about 40 feet around.

My point is this, we can talk a lot about the sort of surface one would like to workout on, but the more we delegate responsibility to the surface and less to ourselves who are using the surface the more we can expect injuries, regardless of what we are using.

I had the dubious honor of training at a Hapkido school whose matting could only be compared with a room full of queen-size mattresses. At first glance it seemed to be a breakfaller's dream come true. Then I began to realize that my footing was compromised and most especially my turns. I also noticed that the class did not practice breakfalls since no matter how you fell you were going to get a cushy landing. Short-term bennies but long term dangers in my book.

My answer is a floor with the minimum resilience to take the impact that your art will dish-out. Want a sprung floor with a 2" mat? How about just the sprung floor? How about a sprung floor with a one inch mat? How about just the 2" mat and NO sprung floor? See what I mean? The flooring needs to reduce impact, but not take it all away entirely. (IMHO).

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: dojo flooring - 08/31/05 12:07 AM

I agree with the points you made. I was spending too much time thinking and planning and didn't want to fall into the trap of the construction itself becomming the workout
I just went to wal-mart and got a $20 carpet $15 1/2" foam and threw it down on the concrete. 35 bucks and 35 minutes later, I was into a kata and couldn't stop thinking...how the heck am I going to hang that bag? I'm a sap for taking on engineering problems that are beyond my capabilities which often end in disaster. I trashed the bag idea and I'm making a sage-makiwara.

I don't particularly like the carpet either, so I'm using it as an opportunity to experiment this new unplesant ground with shoes. turning more than 90 degrees on carpet with sneakers on, I'm finding 'interesting'.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: dojo flooring - 08/31/05 08:14 AM

OK-- if you are going to take that approach, try this.

Go to the local HOME DEPOT and buy twice the area in carpet padding. Make a sandwich by putting the first layer of pad down first, then the foam, then the second layer of pad then the carpet. I saw a floor cover built up out of as many as 5 layers of padding with the carpet over it and it accepted some pretty good breakfalls. Another possibility is to find a wholesaler of closed-cell foam in your area. Its the same stuff as in those folding mats but a whole lot cheaper when bought in bulk. You can still lay the carpet over the foam but it will tend to "walk" if you don't secure it somehow. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: MAGr

Re: dojo flooring - 08/31/05 09:10 AM

I didnt know flooring was such a hot subject!
If only your partners could see you now....talking about which cleaning product to use for your precious mats, when you dont even bother to take your plates to the kitchen unless you are allowed to throw the like shuriken!
Shame on you!

Re: dojo flooring - 08/31/05 09:49 AM

washing dishes is part of my sons' training...soap on-soap off.
lol