Teaching a deaf student

Posted by: Chatan1979

Teaching a deaf student - 07/14/05 08:23 PM

I recently had a man who is deaf enroll at our school. I have never instructed someone who is deaf. He has had a lot of previous MA experience so he seems to pick up things fairly quick. I try to keep things simple and slow so he can follow movements. Im just looking for any tips that anyone may have that could help me out. Im going to ask him to bring a notebook to class so i can give him notes after class. thank you for any input
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Teaching a deaf student - 07/14/05 11:09 PM

Learn basic ASL.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Teaching a deaf student - 07/15/05 08:59 AM

In addition to learning basic ASL, meet with your student to develop short hand signs for your basic drills such as kumite or self defense drills which would not be common vocabulary in an ASL dictionary or things you would learn in an ASL class. Kumite #1 for example, might be "K" with a twist motion, followed by the number "1".

Without any sign language, observe the following: (1) when speaking to a group of students, always face the deaf student full face regardless of who's question you are anwering. This feels awkward until you get used to it. Point to the person you are addressing while facing the deaf student. It helps with lip reading. English is only about 60% lip readable.

(2) Don't talk with your back to a window or door that lets the sunlight in. When you do that, you are standing in your own shadow and you can't be lip read.

(3) Keep your head still when you talk and don't exaggerate vocal motions.

(4)If your student wears hearing aids, keep background noise low and position your student in the quieter parts of the room. Hearing aids magnify all sound without selecting voice. Your ears selectively pay attention to voice which is something hearing aids can't do.

(5) Always negotiate with the student on how to maneuver around a communication problem.

(6) If possible, suppliment class time with private time. I don't know the rank of your student. You say he has some study. Would it be appropriate for a Jr. Black Belt to volunteer some time once a week? This would expand awareness for the JBB and help fill in gaps. It also helps build relationships in the school.

Good luck. I applaud you and your effort.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Teaching a deaf student - 07/15/05 10:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I will start doing just a brief private one on one after classes with him to right down pointers or notes on what we did during that class and to answer any other questions he may not have been able to express during the class. Thank you again.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Teaching a deaf student - 07/16/05 10:04 PM

I Know both asl & english sign language,But It's not realy the signing that needs to be learned,It's the body language as well that'll help you & the deaf person you're communicating with.

Btw You're doing everthing right so far,But give a hint or show that instrucing him is bothering you,Just show him the techniques & treat him as if he's just one of the guys.