Ever get sick of teaching?

Posted by: McSensei

Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/13/05 06:07 PM

We, who teach, all know of the tremendous feeling one gets when seeing students progress. I took a class two weeks ago where I could actually see the improvement happening before my eyes. Times like that are what make it worth it for me.
I do not get paid to teach, so it requires times like these to make it "profitable".
Unfortunately, of late things have been getting me down and
I've been thinking it may be time to stop.
The main thing that is affecting me is irregular attendance by some of the students.
I have 2 prolapsed discs in my spine and sometimes train and teach in some discomfort, so it more than annoys me when I hear excuses like, "I had a sore throat" or "I've got a blister" and such like.
Recently we've had some warm weather and the number of students that missed classes saying it was too hot, AAARGH!

Am I expecting too much for people to make a committment to get to training regularly?
If someone was to invite me somewhere at a time when I'd normally be training, I'd say no and try to arrange a different time. Most students would rather forsake their training it seems to me.
Out of the 20 or so students I have only between 10 and 15 show each week. Out of those only about 6 are there every week and it's quite often the most senior students absent, recently.
Is this normal for other dojos?
I would be interested to hear some figures for other clubs.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/13/05 06:24 PM

You have to appreciate that most people see Martial Arts as a hobby in the beginning. For some of us, at some point, martial arts stops being just something we do, and becomes part of who we are. For the vast majority though, it remains a hobby or they quit.

As teachers, we have to remember that not everyone sees it the same way, frustrating though that can be. And we can only hope that, in our lifetime we inspire a handful of students to love it the way we do.

As for the question in your title, my answer is no, I never get sick of teaching.
Sharon
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/13/05 06:33 PM

McSensei -

I am sure you are aware that MA training is a cyclical thing to many people. When I was a full-time instructor, it was not unusual for weeks to go by with very low attendance at times, and then classes would start to fill up again.

There was not often an obvious rhyme or reason to it. Certainly people go on vacation, business trips, get injured, bored, etc...

I agree it can be a teeth-gritting ordeal to deal with whiners. There were days when I was ready to just have the whole class do pushups the entire time because a few people did not want to give their all.

I would not take it personally. However, if you are at the point where you feel YOU may not want to give it your all, it may be time to consider a change.

Edit to answer the original question -

No, I never got tired of teaching. Just all the injuries!
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/13/05 07:16 PM

McSensei,

The short answer is yes, I have been tired from teaching. But I get over it as class progresses. I too teach pro bono, but get my other classes for free. So I generally teach 2 classes per week. And find the same thing...some nights are weaker than others. But I understand that people are people and if they are paying for instruction (not to me), they can do whatever they want...or not, in the context of coming to class. I also understand that people are busy and I can't blame them for wanting to get some money first, before thinking of the dojo.

The problem is that I do this after work and go directly from work to the dojo...and this means usually 8-10 hours at work and sometimes no lunch..and no supper for me until 10:30-11:00PM. Evening classes are 6:30-9:00. People cool down and ask questions and work out a tad bit after class. I won't ask students to clean up...so I vacuum and clean the mirrors and then pack up and leave around 10:00 PM sometimes a bit earlier.

So, if it's for one or for ten, my obligation remains the same to the student (s). I also recognize that I am human and get frustrated and tired myself...but I always try to put my game face on.

Qustion for you, McSensei, how long have you been practicing and how long teaching? Just wondering how you felt when you were a student and how long has it taken you to feel this frustration?

By the way, I have degenerative disc disease in my back along with a herniated disc...so I understand the back issues.

-B
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/13/05 10:52 PM

We have a rule that is set from the beginning. If you miss three consecutive classes without prior notice you are out! We teach for free and have certain expectations.There have always been and will be circumstances that we can work around,but there's no reason for no call/no show.
If I get tired and need a break,I take one.I have other people that can cover for me. I've enjoyed teaching ever since I started 5yrs ago.It's been a good experience of learning.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/13/05 11:19 PM

It largely depends on your focus. Are you looking at these people as your "students" or your "clients"?

The means for motivating either group is exactly the same. However, how you motivate yourself to deal with either group is quite different.

Sometimes it's easier to simply change your perspective and how you are approaching the "problem".

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/14/05 06:46 AM

Sorry McSensei, I missed the bit where you asked for figures.

I have around 98 active students. about 60 of them train every single week (except vacation/illness etc). That figure drops to around 40 in the summer holidays. out of that 60, around 30 train between 2 and 4 times a week.
Sharon
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/14/05 10:14 AM

McSensei,

I've been teaching amost 52 weeks a year (4 classes 2 youth 2 adult) for about 27 years and have never gotten tired of class.

I only allow 25 members in the program and the average attendance is as you experience.

But I turn out qulality students at as great a pace as a commercial program 50 times my size.

What I've found is karate can be a very part time development, and what is most important is that students don't stop training even if part time. The real issue is long term development. If the student stays with the training over the years they develop the same skills at times to a greater extent than larger programs.

This does not mean full time training does not have advantages, for it certainly does, but full time training does not guarantee the person will stay training 10 or 15 years either, and in the long run it's time that is the most important thing, IMO.

Our students live in a world that is constantly trying to dissuade them from training for multitudes of reasons. We're not living on a small island with only walking for transporation available to most. Our lives involve so many other factors, and if you're teaching youth, they are at the control of their parents and their activities.

But each class is a way to learn how to communicate the art more effectively, to understand what the students do know, what they've still to learn, how their learning process works, it has infinite potential.

And sometimes nobody shows up, and sometimes class is filled to the gills, and sometimes its continually changing.

One of the ways I deal with reality, is I make each class a unique experience never to be repeated, ever. And make the students understand when they can't be there, they're likely missing an experience that will not occur again. And it is the accumulation of those experiences that bulid their skill.

Teach who is there, experience that class fully, and let time pass.
Posted by: 1973

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/14/05 12:25 PM

I did classes for years and probably will again someday but right now just a few private students. Some days you don't feel like teaching front stance (or anything else) again for the upteenth millionth time. But I'm stll excited about martial arts. If you're in pain it's understandable that this will diminish you're enthusiasm.You may want to consider that now may be the time to start making certain demands of the students you elect to teach. Don't go overboard, but sit down and figure out what do YOU want. A large group with average interest? A small (or large) but very dedicated group, etc. Then what will I (reasonably) require of the students to weed out the ones that don't fit the type of student you want to have. Be prepared to show them the door, nicely, and don't accept just anyone who wants to train. In our enthusiasm to share our art and knowledge we often accept those who may be better off with swimming lessons or something rather than MA. Society has been teaching people that they should be rewarded with little or nothing required of them, sorry, not in my class. This may sound harsh or military-ish by todays standards ( what little they are), but you will only get from the students what you ask of them. As a teacher you give too much of yourself, time and talent, NOT to demand something back. Those students who can't give it to you will usually let themselves out. My opinion.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/14/05 01:37 PM

Well said, 1973.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/14/05 04:07 PM

The percentages of dedicated students appears to be universal. People just have so many options nowadays. But don't let it bother you. If all who started MA had our dedication, there'd be more sensei than students.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/14/05 06:27 PM

Thankyou all for your posts. As you can probably tell, I don't want to be teaching if my heart isn't in it. That would be doing a disservice to the students that are dedicated.
The idea of three misses and out sounds good, however, that is not my decision to make as I teach for an organization, it is not my own club.

Butterfly,
In total I have trained for 8 1/2 yrs. and started teaching 4 1/2 yrs ago.
The club IS a bit of a McDojo in the sense that they recruit door to door and they use low grades as instructors disguised in black and white belts. (hence my username)
The saving grace is the quality of instruction available to the higher grades.
Another moral dilemma I have is what would happen to the students if I quit. I could be replaced by some 4th kyu with no real knowledge to impart. I've already been told by some they would leave if I quit.

Victor,
Do you not find it really frustrating when you teach a class
something really unique and the following class you wish to make reference to it, look around and realise that most are blank faced because they weren't there?
I did this recently and if I had hair, I'd have torn it out.

I have felt like this for some time now and thinking those hours spent preparing classes and time teaching, I could be
doing Judo (recently started again after doing it for a year at school) or jujitsu or just more karate. At least I know I
would be there week in, week out.
Please excuse the rant and thanks again for all advice.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/14/05 07:24 PM

McSensie,

Take heart, you are just as human as the rest of us. And as far as your frustration and desire to leave, go where you mind and heart tell you.

I will say that I have been in the unenvialble position of considering staying for the benefit of those who are being taught as well. And it is not fun...

As far as teaching, I am wondering if you can go from a week to week plan so that the classes during any one week can cover a main idea with expansion of concepts and techniques related to the section being taught? This way, if someone comes all during the week, they will get the "Full Monty" so to speak, but if someone misses a day or two (if this is something that can be covered in the course of 5 week days), that individual won't be entirely lost and will at least be able to make the jump in getting instruction.

-B
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/14/05 08:08 PM

McSensei,

"Victor,Do you not find it really frustrating when you teach a class something really unique and the following class you wish to make reference to it, look around and realise that most are blank faced because they weren't there? I did this recently and if I had hair, I'd have torn it out."

No because it's never lost, I always document what I've taught when I do something new. My first interest is my own journey.

But I learned very early you have to distance yourself from your students. O'you must teach to your fullest, but you really can't control how they learn or any of the variables that are in their hands.

And even though they don't show signs of remembering things, your unique examples layer into their lives and you'd be surprised how years later they bear fruit.

I early on saw instructors leave teaching for exactly the same frustrations you're experiencing. How about having 100 - 200 dans move on and leave you? If you look at things that way it is disheartening.

But when your teaching your also training yourself, and enhancing your ability to communicate. Karate neve has been a constant thing, if you love what you're doing you enhance your own ability to communicate as you teach, regardless of whether the students percieve it or not.

From a communications circuit point of view, you can't control how what you say is percived at the other end. All you can do is keep communicating.

Lets take a real world issue, away from karate. Everything you do is creating communication circuits with others. You might make a harmless, or humorous comment to a co-worker from the other sex (pick any one of Samuel R. Delaney's 56 sexes you wish), but if they perceive it as harrassing, it is harrassing, to them, whether you intended it that way or not.

When you share you're in the same boat. Step here, punch like this, etc. Will they get it? The longer you do it you learn to develop long term goals, or you'll move on, IMVHO.

And if you think you have problems, think back 100 or so years. The instructor didn't even have a technical vocabulary for karate. The Oki. Hogen term for everything translattes 'put your hand here'. It was all hands on instruction.

Personally I think this is why a lot of karate was not taught. The instructor realized the student if they didn't share decades of work on their art, didn't have the where to all to really learn those answers. So instead teach them simpler, appropriate karate. It may have been too frustrating to share more? Of course this last is just speculation.

I've been training young people for 27 years. In that time 100% of those who stay into dan training leave me. As much as they do in karate, their life is more important. Family, school, work, etc. Believe me your efforts sharing do make an impact, but it may be 15 years later when they show up on your door and remind you of something you can't remember that you realize what you really did.

It's just there often is no short term 'reward', unless the cycle is where there are short term rewards.

But hey, what do I know?

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/14/05 09:34 PM

Quote:

But hey, what do I know?

From what I read here and in many past posts,you know and share a lifetime of knowledge.(that's what!)

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/15/05 10:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

But hey, what do I know?

From what I read here and in many past posts,you know and share a lifetime of knowledge.(that's what!)

I'll second that.
It is apparent to me that you have forgotten more about karate than most of us will ever know!
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/16/05 08:26 PM

Great post Victor!
Enjoyed the reference to Samuel R Delaney and communication.

IMHO The journey, the learning and the teaching are all intertwined, and I think you can't have one without the other.

I enjoy every sessions challenges, even when it all turns to custard there is a lesson there for us to learn from.

And if I get a bit frustrated I just look at our head instructor and get inspired again.
Posted by: japgirl

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/17/05 02:28 PM

My bf is getting tried of teaching kids under age9 with the attention span of a cheese sandwitch(sp), and fat, balding, mid-life crisis, white-guys to use a sword. Just because he's 16 it doesn't mean that it's easy! In other words have a age limit!
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/17/05 02:40 PM

Japgirl,

Please take it easy on us middle aged, bald guys. I've been studying martial arts for over 25 years (I lose count.) I have been considering taking up the sword too! I guess I shouldn't come to your class? I don't think I've had a mid life crisis yet, my life is a crisis most of the time!
Posted by: japgirl

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/17/05 05:48 PM

I'm talking about people with no background with any like this. Then theirs the ones who think the weapon makes the man. Ex. I watch my Bf teach his class and a bunch of suburban, fat, unexpericed men came through the door with real swords. Roger(my Bf) picks up a 3 foot bamboo stick, telling them to bring it. THey did, then they went through the big window. But that wasn't the end, Roger took the swords and scared them. He beat them with a stick of bamboo! Roger gets mad when the unworthy handle weapons.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/17/05 06:28 PM

Japgirl,

How does Roger judge who is worthy or not?
Sharon

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/17/05 08:15 PM

Are you suggesting I throw my unworthy students out the window?
My dojo is 2 storeys up in a church hall.
I might have a little difficulty explaining that one.
The broken stained glass window, the bodies on the ground, some impaled on the railings below!!!

BTW, just how do the unworthy become the worthy?
Posted by: Crash

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/17/05 08:46 PM

There is a phrase that goes around in our dojo: "twice a week martial artist" some people only show up twice a week and don't bother to train at home and that's fine if they understand that this is all they will amount to: "a twice a week martial artist". But at the same time if they only show up once in awhile, and don't work hard or train at home and then they're arogant enough to complain that they aren't improveing, and can't win in sparring sessions and they ask why, that's not fair to the instuctors or the other students who barely miss a class and train at home as well.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 09:02 AM

Quote:

BTW, just how do the unworthy become the worthy?

i think japgirl means that the guys who come in thinking they're all macho with real swords who don't have the patience to start with a bokken are unworthy, people want to just be able to do things instantly so the ones that are ready to put the time and effort in as you should are the worthy ones.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 09:33 AM

No offense taken. What is Bf? I'm not familiar with that initial.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 09:47 AM

McSensei - your last post had me surpressing a burst of laughter at work that almost made my head pop.

back to serious:
I think there are 3 main philosophies...
- A Sensei looks at teaching as a job for money.
- A Sensei looks at teaching as the next level of their MA career.
- A Sensei does not distinguish teaching from their own training.

If someone can get sick of teaching but not get sick of training...perhaps they aren't ready to teach? I'm guessing.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 10:19 AM

Since teaching and learning are not restricted to the martial arts, if I may, I would like to add my pennies to the pot.

Related to work, you come to accept the idea of training, and retraining. You see it as investing in the person, but also something that strengthens/feeds into a larger entity. The workforce, the workplace, a community...the dojo? I very much enjoy training others...but they have to be receptive. It is a joy when you get that rare student who is quick, able, and becomes a dependable part of the whole. I enjoy giving and sharing, and the dynamic that is created and heightened energy that permeates a workplace when people are performing and happy.

Then you get the users. At some point, attrition/turn-over of workers/students and poor quality (bad attitudes) takes a toll on the trainer, and diminishes the larger group/entity.

I take one student at a time, and teach them everything I know. I have had great students, but after the past two, I have decided not to take on other students. 'Sick of teaching' really equates to 'sick at heart'...sick of being used.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 12:00 PM

bf=boyfriend
Sharon
Posted by: japangirl

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 12:01 PM

YO its jpagirl. To answer the question ROger didn't learn in a class like most of us did. Roger's philosophy is that weapons should be used to protect people. Those that use weapons to harm are therefore are not worthy. His Master taught him that a weapon in any form to be used correctly, the user needs to be worthy. When one uses a weapon to harm not to protect, need to be stoped by any force nessecary. Don't throw people out windows unless your on the ground level.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 12:27 PM

16yr old guy who is sick of teaching kids and throws bald,fat ,middle aged,suburban guys out windows for not being worthy. Now I see what martial arts are all about.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 01:12 PM

Don't throw people out windows. You'll get sued, in this case they admitted to making the first move. They had to pay to get the window fixed.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 01:45 PM

Admitted to making what first move? Was it a sword fight? If someone "makes the first move" it's ok to teach them a lesson by throwing them through a window? What exactly does your boyfriend teach and how long has he been training?

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 01:55 PM

Only if they have weapons. To be honest Roger could of done alot worse to them. And to be fair hes not the only one that has thrown people out windows in that school. The school is actually closed until anger management requires set by the state can be reached and renonvations finnished.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 02:07 PM

lol. I have to admit J-girl, you had me believing you at first.
Does Roger-chan have a website? I'm up for seeing a pic of what a cowboy-samurai-ninja looks like. I'm visualizing snakeskin boots, katana, long bow, and huge beltbuckle that doubles as a shuriken.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 02:17 PM

*puts on goggles,wading trunks,rubber gloves,and a smock.*

What did you say!
Anger management!!!

Maybe this should be moved to 'tales and stories!'

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 02:34 PM

I'm going to post on the tales and stories soon. ROger's site got taken down. He's a Asatruer(norse religion) and his site became a meeting grounds for white-supremists. So Roger had it taken down. Their's a videogame called comboy samurai for the playstation. As for the anger management, the "victim" deserved the beating. But Roger wasn't the beater.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 02:42 PM

Stop it.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 02:49 PM

Thanks, I'm a little slow...

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 05:44 PM

Quote:

I'm going to post on the tales and stories soon. ROger's site got taken down. He's a Asatruer(norse religion) and his site became a meeting grounds for white-supremists. So Roger had it taken down. Their's a videogame called comboy samurai for the playstation. As for the anger management, the "victim" deserved the beating. But Roger wasn't the beater.

What an absolute load of small round objects.
Sharon

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 05:46 PM

Quote:

Only if they have weapons. To be honest Roger could of done alot worse to them. And to be fair hes not the only one that has thrown people out windows in that school. The school is actually closed until anger management requires set by the state can be reached and renonvations finnished.

*sniff, sniff* what's that........ horses? pigs *sniff sniff*...... no, it's bull $h!t
Sharon

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 05:53 PM

Sanchin, Kintama,
Please, please stop.
I had to go to the dentist today and my mouth is quite sore.
Reading this lot isn't helping.

Anyway where were we..?
Oh yeah..
Kintama,
"If someone can get sick of teaching but not get sick of training perhaps they aren't ready to teach."

There maybe something in this, if you mean on a psycological level. Incomplete training and subconciously wanting to concentrate on myself, maybe?
It's certainly something to contemplate.

harlan,
"sick at heart"
Good phrase. This, I think in my case, is probably closer to the truth. The students turning up when it suits them, while I am there showing my committment to them is hard to take. I guess I just care more about them than they do themselves.
BTW thankyou for the PM but I couldn't work out why you didn't just post it on here?

One other factor has just been removed though.
On Saturday 16th my club had it's "national tournament."
For the past 2 months all I have been told to teach by my senior instructor is competition techniques.
Now it's passed and I can get back to the real stuff.

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/18/05 06:05 PM

J-Girl,
To pay for these windows would bankrupt you...your family...their neighbours...and anybody they said hello to once!
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Ever get sick of teaching? - 07/21/05 02:19 PM

I would suggest we make another forum. "Tall Tales"and Stories. Jgirl could be the moderator!

Page