shadow boxing?

Posted by: DINAMO788

shadow boxing? - 07/08/05 01:06 AM

i've been hearing the term shadow boxing a few times and i'm nott oo sure what it means. sounds liek juss doing like combinations or juss punchs/kicks by urself but i'm not exactly sure one what it is.

can someoen tell me what it is and why its useful

thx
Posted by: butterfly

Re: shadow boxing? - 07/08/05 01:13 AM

Dinamo,

What you have stated is exactly right. However, the benefit depends upon what you are trying to do. Generally,
you would want to practice on keeping good technique, while improving muscle memory and movement. You are trying to visualize actually attacking and defending against an imaginary opponent.

Unlike kata, this is not prearranged movements, but very organic and can be focused on the use of a few or several techniques that you wish to get down or improve upon, before actually using them against a responsive and resisting opponent.

Shadow boxing can be as hard or as light as you like, aerobically speaking. But in all that you practice, you must keep proper form and try to evaluate the techniques that you are doing.

This, in my opinion, is one of the fundamental solo excercises that you can do to improve your performance.

-B
Posted by: DINAMO788

Re: shadow boxing? - 07/08/05 01:19 AM

ok thx. i actually non voluntarily do it, but not seriously or properly, juss for fun i swing my arms around and mebbe throw in a kick or two

and wats kata exactly, is it like a form(by form i dont mean art but liek a set sequence of moves)?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: shadow boxing? - 07/08/05 01:25 AM

Yes, kata is another name for forms (generic). In Korean styles this would be Poomse or Hyung. Meanings are the same, the movements and their various interpretations can be different from style to style.

-B