RedMan or BlueMan Suits

Posted by: RangerG

RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/22/05 08:54 PM

Anyone have experience using these suits for one day female self defense classes.

Worth the one grand purchase price?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/22/05 09:05 PM

I went to a dojo one time that had one. They called it "bullet man" because of the shape of the head. However I think it is essentially the same as what you are talking about.

We didn't use it for a class, rather a few of us broke it out after class.

Some of the most fun I have ever had You can do anything, and I do mean anything to someone in that suit.

Full force groin, sternum, temple, grabs, throws. WOW

I didn't realize they were that expensive

Might be too much for the everyday dojo. But if you do alot of SD classes, and let regular classes mess about with it, It might pay for itself very quickly.

That would be a real "value added" component to any SD class and could be marketed as such.

If you can, Get one!

Page
Posted by: oldman

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/22/05 10:10 PM

I already told Ranger that I crafted one of my own. It is not as pretty as the RM or BLM. It is alot of fun to use. I have also found if you teach a class of ladies that are already familiar with each other they start to get competitive and reall crank it up.
Posted by: kenposan

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/22/05 10:39 PM

There is a difference between the RM/BLM and the "bulletman" gear. The bulletman gear is designed for full-force strikes and to my knowledge the RM/BLM are not. I have read stories of broken bones with the RM because ppl thought it provided more protection than it did.

In addition, the RM/BLM do not provide adequate head protection. Padded, yes, but the head/neck is still vulnerable. The Bulletman rests on the shoulders, not the head, allowing full-force blows to the "head".

My instructor fashioned a similar piece of head gear for a self defense class. Never got to hit it but I did wear it, it definately saves wear and tear on the neck while ppl try very hard to rip your head off!
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/23/05 12:24 AM

Thanks for that clarification Kenposan. It will be very useful to note those distinctions when determinig needs, especially for something so costly.

Page

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/23/05 07:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks for that clarification Kenposan. It will be very useful to note those distinctions when determinig needs, especially for something so costly.

Page

Yea, I agree. That's why I posted the question. Nothing like talking to the folks who have used the gear.

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/23/05 08:22 AM

I know what kemposan is talking about. When I was crafting mine I started with a football helmet. I covered the helmet with a dense 4" polyurethane foam covered with duct tape. One time before I crafted a neck brace (out of a pool noodle) I caught a right cross that almost took my head off like a bottle cap.

I know Tony Blauer produces a kind of body armor also but I've never seen it in real life.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/23/05 08:51 AM

I'd argue with the premise of providing a one day self defence seminar for women.

I don't care what suit you wear.

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/23/05 05:34 PM

Quote:

I'd argue with the premise of providing a one day self defence seminar for women.

I don't care what suit you wear.

A valid point. Sometimes you just cannot get people to attend organized MA classes, and even a quick one day class that covers do's and dont's..as well as some basic blocks and punches at least gives them somewhat of a fighting chance. I know it is not the best solution...far from it, but something in most cases is better than letting them be a helpless victim. At least it gets them looking in and under their car before they get in.... If that is the only chance we get to introduce them to MA...with the hope that they will follow up and train somewhere...in any form they wish.. is it not worth it to try?

Again I respectfully understand your point, and to a degree..agree.

G
Posted by: kenposan

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/23/05 11:16 PM

Blauer's stuff looks like it can take more punishment but I would still be concerned about head shots. Like it matters, I can't afford any of this stuff anyway.

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/24/05 05:04 PM

The story behind my question was that the dojo cannot justify a suit. I can afford to foot the bill for a red or blue man suit, but the bullet suit is a bit beyond my ability right now. I was going to donate it to the dojo if it would help with female defese training classes. I hate seeing the news every day about female victims, and I hope in my heart that some training...as little as a one day class..will help, and possibly lead to some of the ladies training in MA...any MA...any dojo. Everyone has a charity..or a cause..I guess this is mine. I know it may sound stupid to some, and I can live with that. It's just hits me on a gut level. Thanks for all the responses.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 06/28/05 05:42 PM

Quote:

Blauer's stuff looks like it can take more punishment but I would still be concerned about head shots. Like it matters, I can't afford any of this stuff anyway.

Blauer's High Gear is excellent but is not effective or appropriate for what we are discussing (protecting a padded attacker from full power strikes from a room full of "victims").

For this, I would recommend the Fist Suit over RedMan. Redman is made of the same injected foam that Karate Sparring Gear is. Hardly the definitive model for impact reduction.

There is always going to be a significant risk to the "attacker"'s head and neck unless you put one of those Globes over the head, neck and shoulders. There is a balance between safety and realitic training. Otherwise you would just pad them up and beat them like a pinata.
Posted by: mateo

Re: Fist and Fairtex - 06/29/05 11:42 AM

I think it all comes down to what the role of the man in the suit is exactly. The cops use FIST Inc. equipment (full suit) for training senarios but the attacker is trained and not passively taking shots.

We use the FIST fighting vest as a chest protector for full contact sparring at times and it is good for allowing a fellow to take shots while still being able to move around. You certainly can't stand there asking the fellow to do a set of turning side kicks on you without far too much intestinal jarring. When we we use it for a fellow in the 'Sitting Duck' position i.e. moving around and just taking shots we throw a Fairtex chest protector over it as it affords more protection and a hard leather shell which we feel is better in encouraging the striker to 'hit' rather than 'push' with their strikes.

KWON makes a chest protector which is 6 inches thick and you feel very little through but it is like striking a pillow, which we feel is not good for developing striking skills. Putting the fairtex chest cover over it provides a better surface to hit once again.

As for the usefulness of equipment for a one day self defense course I can't speak to that. I would hope that such a course would alert the uninitiated to the potentials for fighting back but and also the need for involvement in a course of a longer duration.

Re: Fist and Fairtex - 07/04/05 05:28 PM

Thanks for your post! I took a look at the Fist #333 and it appears to be what I was looking for, and within budget even with some additional options.

I do agree on the one day training.. I can only hope that one out of 20 will begin MA training. So far that is the ratio. I wish it was more.

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 07/05/05 09:46 AM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Posted by: MAGr

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 07/05/05 09:52 AM

LOL!!!

Oldman! stopit, I try to have aserious face on at work so that they wont know I am not actually working right now, and you are ruining everything. Its had to pretend you are working when uttering stiffled cries of laughter!

Re: RedMan or BlueMan Suits - 07/05/05 05:31 PM

ROFLOL...