Donation or Aid in Solo Training

Posted by: yorik17

Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/18/05 08:57 PM

Hi. Name's Cory. I'm a huge martial arts fan and have been solo training for about 4-5 years, but haven't made any great progress, but have earned a reputation at school as a martial artist... But I don't get cocky of it. I admire and would like to learn any weapon forms, but am best in bo, katana, and nunchaku. Forms wise, I am into kung-fu (chin dan), tae kwon do, karate, ninjutsu, and jujitsu, but love all forms and would like to learn many... I learn from movies, VIDEO GAMES, suprisingly, but just for kendo which I have found is pretty accurate, and what little bit of reading I can aquire. I can't afford classes or books and was wondering if anyone has any old books or movies that they can't seem to find a place for that I could borrow, or read/view and then return. I'm also greatly interested in Japanese culture and architecture, if that...even...yeah... But seriously, any aid in my training would be greatly appreciated... If anyone has any interest in this, e-mail me at yorik17@hotmail.com If shipping is a concern, I'll do my best to aid in that if anyone wishes to send anything...
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/20/05 09:08 AM

With your talent, I'm just amazed that you haven't opened your own school and started your own style yet.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/20/05 09:26 AM

Quote:

Hi. Name's Cory.

Hi Cory.

Quote:

I'm a huge martial arts fan and have been solo training for about 4-5 years, but haven't made any great progress, but have earned a reputation at school as a martial artist...

Not exactly sure how that would happen.

Quote:

I learn from movies, VIDEO GAMES, suprisingly, but just for kendo which I have found is pretty accurate

I have found this also, like when I land a 15-hit combo with my 50-pound, 12 foot sword, it takes away at least half of my opponent's health points, and I'm on my way to a FATALITY.

Quote:

If shipping is a concern

No, but I have other concerns.

Quote:

I'll do my best to aid in that if anyone wishes to send anything...

You can't afford your own books, videos, or classes, but you can help pay for shipping to and from you?

Quote:

also greatly interested in Japanese culture and architecture, if that...even...yeah... But seriously

Not really sure where that came from...even...yeah...but seriously...

Quote:

any aid in my training would be greatly appreciated

That's an intersting proposal, my suggestion would be to find a qualified instructor in your area, good luck.

Joel
Posted by: specter

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/20/05 05:55 PM

JoelM is right yorik, find a qualified instructor somewhere. i remember a post of yours from a while back when you were asking advice with your problems finding a school that you could afford and there was some really good advice that you were given. im wandering why you havent seemed to follow any of it? For example: oldman suggested that you learn wrestling or boxing at your school saying "how does your dad feel about you being an "athlete" instead of a martial artist. another person recomended the YMCA. they provide training for cheaper price. someone else recomended that you clean up the dojang in exchange for training. that sounds reasonable. Another person asked if there was a university or college in your area because there are many martial arts clubs in a university. (especially if there arent many other MA studios around)and they usually offer training to non students. at my brothers university they have all kinds of MA clubs (cuong nhu, kendo, tkd, 3 different karate clubs and maybe more) i live near the university of south florida and theres an aikido club that i think offers free training there. i know you dont live near these universities in particular but they are good examples of how that might be something to look into. So there are plenty of good ideas to help you with this: wrestling or boxing at school, the YMCA, college clubs, and making a deal with the head of the dojo. if you tell your problem to the head of the dojang (whatever dojang there might be for you to go to), im sure he'll help you with a problem and strike a deal or something. why havent you tried any of this? it seems as if your problem hasnt changed yet and as if you havent tried any of these. if you really try and express your problems to head or member of a dojang somewhere, im sure one of them will try to help. why dont you pay one of those dojos a visit?

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/21/05 04:13 PM

origionally by Leo_E_49 on another post of yours:
Search the yellow pages and google.com for schools in your area, often local community centres (community halls?) will have cheap or free lessons taught by hobby-ist Sensei. These guys are often good because they aren't doing it for the money. My advice is don't be picky, if you can't get Shaolin KungFu for example but they have Shotokan Karate on the cheap somewhere, take it up. Most arts are about as effective as one another, there's no best art.
=========================================================

thats a good idea too. theres plenty of great ideas for how to get an instructor who can help and getting decent training. why dont you try them? you need training from a competent instructor, NOT yourself and NOT your friends.
Posted by: yorik17

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/21/05 08:55 PM

Thanks for the sugguestions... I tried searching for other schools in the area with yellow pages (and found a number for a center which had an address which didn't exist!), but how do I search for instructors? Also, I tried to offer my services to a center as a janitor/ gardener in return for instruction, but they never took up the offer. Also, the YMCA in my area teaches jujitsu, and its EXPENSIVE, believe me. About $150 for 3 months. Does anyone know of an instructor in the area of Parkersburg, WV? Maybe someone could help me search...? Sorry if this is making anyone think I'm a lazy bum, and I'll probably be quoted on this. (Joel?)

Also,
Quote:

Hi Cory.

Hi Joel.

Quote:

Not exactly sure how that would happen.

Through friends who I've sparred with.

Quote:

I have found this also, like when I land a 15-hit combo with my 50-pound, 12 foot sword, it takes away at least half of my opponent's health points, and I'm on my way to a FATALITY.

I was meaning basic sword stances... You're quite the smart one, Joel.

Quote:

No, but I have other concerns.

Oh, other than having a fetish with quoting?

Quote:

You can't afford your own books, videos, or classes, but you can help pay for shipping to and from you?

Yes, through my dad's buisness in which we ship constantly, we get a discount. At least I think so... Besides, its not too much anyway, is it? That and I was just showing that I was wanting to help if anyone needed it as a kind gesture, but I'm guessing that's not your forte.

Quote:

Not really sure where that came from...even...yeah...but seriously...

Now your just being an ass... I was just wondering if anyone had those kinds of things, too.

Quote:

That's an intersting proposal, my suggestion would be to find a qualified instructor in your area, good luck.

Thank you...

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/22/05 11:27 AM

oh. sorry man. i guess its a little harder than i thought. well. what abou the university MA club idea? maybe instead of practicing MAs you can spend this time physically conditioning yourself for when you DO practice MAs and can be trying to get better grades so that you have more options for college. i know that if my brothers school(the university of florida) has a lot of MA clubs, its rival school(florida state) should also have a lot of MAs being as FSU competes with UF in everything. i know they have a cuong nhu club. maybe you should go onto google and look at the websites of different colleges and see what MAs clubs that they have to offer. id suggest moving out of you area. it sounds like they dont give a whole of options in terms of martial arts practice there. maybe theres something else you could think of... but im sure that eventually youll get into the MAs though... just give it time, and thought. until then try to physically condition yourself to with exersize. if anyone else has any ideas feel free to post them. good luck with your search for a good school man. ill think about if theres anymore advice or help i can give you. and by the way, no, i dont think youre a lazy bum. just keep trying. and seriously try to look into the college idea. im sure if you search around you might find a place you like. and if you leave and go to another place, you wont have to do what your dad says so much and might find a good enough job to help pay for classes since youll be away from your dad and wont have to help out with his business. i know what its like to be in this position. when i got into the martial arts i would ask my parents so much to help me and theyd say they really wanted to put me in a class but they didnt have the money. luckily , my dad got promoted a few ranks and became a seargent first class and started making more money. itll get better eventually you just have to find a way. thats all.
Good luck man!
-specter

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/22/05 11:50 AM

Quote:

Hi Joel.

Hello again.

Quote:

Through friends who I've sparred with.

People, even friends, can be mistaken. My meaning was that having had no personal instruction in the martial arts, I would venture to say you are more of a "fighter" than a "martial artist." But this is arguing semantics and I have been wrong once or twice in the past.

Quote:

I was meaning basic sword stances... You're quite the smart one, Joel.

Learning sword stances from a video game and learning 15-hit combos from a video game are no different, THEY'RE FROM A VIDEO GAME!!

Quote:

Oh, other than having a fetish with quoting?

Yes, the fact that you should focus more on getting real training than trying to continue training on your own.

Quote:

Yes, through my dad's buisness in which we ship constantly, we get a discount. At least I think so... Besides, its not too much anyway, is it?

You "think" that you get a discount on shipping and you don't have a clue as to how much books/videos/etc cost to ship. I'm not claiming to know either, but you should do a little research on that.

Quote:

That and I was just showing that I was wanting to help if anyone needed it as a kind gesture, but I'm guessing that's not your forte.

Not all the time, no.

Quote:

Now your just being an ass... I was just wondering if anyone had those kinds of things, too.

Being an ass just comes naturally to me sometimes. If you were wondering if people were interested in those things as well, why didn't you say so? I honestly couldn't understand what you were getting at. You sounded like a 7-year old who got distracted by a shiny object.

Quote:

Thank you...

You're welcome...
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/22/05 12:23 PM

Can I be a bit of a prick here?

Thank you...

Money does not fall out of the sky, you are not born with it (always), it does not grow on trees. SO.......

How do other people afford training....?

Oh yeah....! THEY GET A JOB!

How hard is it to get $50 a month????

Here's a start....
If you sell your playstation and your videogames, you will probably be able to afford the first 3 months just from that.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/22/05 01:18 PM

http://yp.yahoo.com/yp/Parkersburg_WV/Recreation_and_Sports_Martial_Arts/8120454.html
http://members.tripod.com/marvin26101_1/
http://www.advancedbkj.com/parkersburg.htm
http://www.usgyms.net/west_virginia.htm
http://www.webspawner.com/users/snapdragon269/index.html

Just a few to get you started.

As far as I'm concerned, where there's a will there's a way.

However, if you don't study under a qualified MA instructor with and against other students in a proper class, you aren't going to learn properly. Think of it like learning a musical instrument. We can all pretend to play a guitar by moving our hand up and down on the strings. But to produce music you need to be taught how the guitar works, how to use it and how to read music so you can understand other people when they talk to you about music. (Unless you're some kind of prodigy which most people aren't) The same with MA, you can go through the motions and do something that looks like MA but unless you know the "why" and "how" of it and have been trained by an instructor who knows the mechanics of the techniques, it's only a pretty dance.

I emplore you to seek proper training. I am glad you are so enthusiastic and I hope that you progress far when you start properly training in MA. There is no real excuse these days not to learn MA in a Dojo if you really want to, because MA is so readily available.

Btw, from what I hear about the states, $150 for three months is relatively cheap! Certainly worth saving up for each month.

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/22/05 04:04 PM

150 dollars for THREE months of training? thats like 50 dollars a month! thats pretty cheap! the cheapest that i know of around my area is 83 dollars a month for 3 days of training each week. Cory, maybe there could be to pay for it. is there some way you think you can convince your dad to let you get some sort of job that wouldnt interfere with helpibg his business? how long do you have to help your dad? do you think you could organize some sort of schedule?
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/22/05 10:46 PM

$150 for three months is only $50 a month. Around my neck of the woods that is on the cheap end, as most schools run around $75+ a month.
Posted by: Foundation

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/23/05 06:53 AM

Quote:

I have found this also, like when I land a 15-hit combo with my 50-pound, 12 foot sword

You have to admit you want to be able to do that

Re: Donation or Aid in Solo Training - 06/23/05 09:02 AM

But that's besides the point.