Faster

Posted by: specter

Faster - 06/13/05 01:48 PM

I have been doing TKD for a while now and am doing pretty good at it. but im not all that fast and i need to get quicker. the only problem is i dont know how! i dont know much about any excercizes that work speed. I know more about the strengthening excercises since they are easier to find. does anybody have any ideas? id appreciate any help you all can give me.

thanks in advance,
specter
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Faster - 06/13/05 02:58 PM

Simple repetition with good form will help with your speed.

Get out there and spar, too!
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Faster - 06/13/05 05:44 PM

Hey there,
I am not a kicker but I think what applies to punches applies to kicks( they are all muscles after all).
The way your punches become faster is this.
When you are throwing a punch you are using more than one muscle to throw that punch, what happens is that one muscle contracts while the other one relaxes. The more repitition, the easier it is for your muscle to know when to contract and when to relax. In the beginning though you have to do everything relaxed in order to feed your muscle memory.
So:
Lots of repititions,
Stay relaxed all through the movement.
Do not lock your joint/over extend because you will hurt your leg,
Do not put any power unless you are kicking something solid caue that will also hurt your leg..

Also I forgot to add...
The elastic tube/rope thingy that you use for resistance training is fantabulous for gaining speed and power.
Go to the strengthening forum and I m sure someone will be able to explain better how to use the tube thingy!
Posted by: 1973

Re: Faster - 06/14/05 12:55 PM

If we're talking kicks what helped my speed was the stationary bike with resistance built in or a regular bike for that matter since summer is here. For punches push-ups and bag work. As stated repetitions and form are important so there is no wasted motion and using the wrong muscles which will decrease speed, and of course flexibilty is also needed. These may or may not work for you. Since each person is an individual laboratory you will probably have to try some different things to see what helps YOU. But when you hit on the right formula you should see some kind of results within a reasonable time, say 6-12 weeks or sometimes sooner.
Posted by: ChangLab

Re: Faster - 07/05/05 01:06 PM

Hacky sack will help alot for speed, balance and accuracy.
The mechanics are different as you are trying to keep a ball/bag off the ground using only your feet.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Faster - 07/05/05 01:13 PM

Lots of activities will help martial artists,but the most effective is practice at what you are trying to get good at.Hacky sack will help you get good at hacky sack.
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Faster - 07/05/05 08:48 PM

Go to your instructor and ask him/her how to improve your speed. If you hear generic answers like "just relax" or "don't tense up" without being shown how to do it most likely they don't know how. A good boxing coach should be able to increase you speed in a couple of weeks.

Kevin
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Faster - 07/06/05 12:18 AM

The thing I realized about the the 'elastic tube/rope thingy' is the resistance is not even and consistant throughout the punch. with higher resistance being at the end of the punch. the place where you really want speed increase is at the beginning of the punch.

Low-weight reps is a good start. punching slow with uniform speed holding a 1.5 lb weight in each hand. Do that for 15 minutes and then stretch. another 15 min. and stretch. put the weights down and punch, now it feels faster, but most of that feeling is illusion...but some of it is not.

It's important that you don't punch full speed with weights...unless you want to learn what hyperextention feels like.
Posted by: Foundation

Re: Faster - 07/06/05 02:57 AM

Quote:

The thing I realized about the the 'elastic tube/rope thingy' is the resistance is not even and consistant throughout the punch. with higher resistance being at the end of the punch. the place where you really want speed increase is at the beginning of the punch.

You know power = mass*velocity, so you want the most speed at the point of impact for power, for just speed it's the average speed of the punch that counts I think, it's true that the acceleration will be mostly in the beginning of the punch, but the resistance will improve that too.

Quote:

punching slow with uniform speed holding a 1.5 lb weight in each hand. Do that for 15 minutes and then stretch. another 15 min. and stretch. put the weights down and punch, now it feels faster, but most of that feeling is illusion...but some of it is not.

Is this so? I'd say you'd punch higher since the resistance is to the floor, which makes you adjust your punch upwards.
It's true that due to the law of slowness (sorry can't translate this better, but it's a law that states that any object wants to keep the speed and direction of movement it has, like pulling a tablecloth underneath plates, without the plates falling off the table), but that won't be that much, also it means you need more power to stop your punch, which may result in a slower/weaker punch anyway. Even at slow pace.

Maybe I'm just ignorant but at the moment I can't see any benefits to punching with weights (perhaps when you punch when you're on your back, punching upwards?)
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Faster - 07/06/05 02:10 PM

you don't read too carefully.
I said you want the most INCREASE in speed (ie acceleration) at the start of a punch...not the total speed.
whats faster? a car going from 0-70 in 10 sec. or a car going 0-60 in 3 sec? you are saying the 70mph car, I'm saying the 3 sec car.
You are talking power, I'm talking impulse.

punching with weights, I mentioned its a good place to start (it's builds the strength needed in the right places to support overall speed), it's not an all-encompasing method of increasing speed..just an added exercise to what has already been suggested.

specter wanted ideas, I'm giving some of mine that I have actually trained doing. take it or leave it. believe me or not. try it or guess.
It amazes me how people can feel justified in making an argument based on speculation.

Quote:

I'd say you'd punch higher since the resistance is to the floor, which makes you adjust your punch upwards.

Even as a guess, this is rediculous.

Quote:

law of slowness

??? not familiar with that law...or that the common-sense law that says anything moving slowly is not moving fast? lol
readup on Newton's Laws of Motion to find out what you are talking about.
Posted by: Foundation

Re: Faster - 07/06/05 03:50 PM

that thing of the law of slowness is literally translated from Dutch to English, and I wrote with it that it's probably incorrect and I specified what I meant, but if you want a more accurate description:
Quote:

Newton's First Law of Motion:
I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

Why wouldn't you punch higher if you just used weights? It's a proven fact that when people are in a room where gravity is lifted for a while, and they are asked to press a button for a repeatedly, each time performing the movement, and when gravity returns, they push below the button, and when they're used to that movement again, gravity is lifted again and they push above the button again. I just figured that'd be the same with a punch since you also extend your arm forward to a target, but it's possible punching is an exception, although I can't see how.