hard to get back into it

Posted by: DINAMO788

hard to get back into it - 05/07/05 05:29 PM

hi everyone, this is my first post here

i used to take tae kwon do for a few years and got the belt b4 black belt(half red half black with the black on top) but then i stopped becuase our main instructor is lazy and only cared about money and he made the only good instructors leave.

i also when to this small class with this russian guy(i'm russian too) and we did a little more real fightingt but it was kinda just a russian group learning some basics. all in all its been liek 4 years since i've last practiced any martiala rts and to my suprise, i've realized that i lost it. i still remembebr everything but i totally lost my fexability.

i know if i juss stretch and practice everyday then i can get it back but, i'm one of those people that cant really stick with a set scheduale.

any way for someoen liek me who is a little lazy to get back in the game.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: hard to get back into it - 05/08/05 01:35 PM

Just stick to it! Imho the martial arts are like riding a bicycle, you can't forget them. Last time I studied TKD formally was 3 years ago but I can still do all the moves (I never stopped stretching). Just stretch and you'll be fine.

P.S. Ragnarok is a really fun game. I used to play on UKRO.

Re: hard to get back into it - 05/10/05 12:17 AM

i'm thinknig bout jeet kun do, but i dont want to go back into a building with a bunch of other peopel and random skills lvls and train as a group again, that didn't seem effective to me.

is there any other way to learn it seriously other that getting private lessons?
Posted by: wbbfan

Re: hard to get back into it - 05/10/05 12:46 AM

First, on behave of every one who has every taught a class let me say I am sorry for your bad instructor. Most aren't like that. But there are some of them around.
The belt you had was a pome belt.(SP?) A junior black belt.
The test fro black belt is the same, you just weren't old enough at the time to get your BB.
I really know what you are going through. I was in a martial art befroe TKD. And was regularly active afterwards. It was a few years, and I had a bunch of trouble getting back into the martial arts. I didn't have the time, or space to practise daily and it was tough getting back into shape. And now, I am looking to go back to MAs once again and will face the up hill fight again. But now I can make it easier. There are two ways to get back into shape.
1) The hard way. Just jump back into it. You'll be very sore, and will get discouraged. But if you tough it out, eventually ou will get back into shape.
2) The easy way. Train extra. Since training at home would be hard with your difficulty following a sched, try doing it at the training area. Get there early. And talk to your instuctor. Ask him/her how early you can get there, and how late you can leave. Ask what types of stretching, and work you should do. Mostly practise what you practise in class. Kicks, stances, etc... As you get into shape, kick higher, harder, faster, and do more reps. If you have 2 classes a week, and get there 15 min early and leave 10 Min late, you can tack on 50 Min of training a week. Then when at home, stretch while you watch tv. Stretch when wake up, and before you go to bed. And walk when ever possible. You don't have to run, or even jog. It will make worlds of difference. Good luck.

Re: hard to get back into it - 05/11/05 05:38 PM

ur a good person wbbfan but not everyone is like you. i was old enough to get my BB and i am still in good shape. all i need to do is tretch and i can get back in it, the problem is my own lazyness. i assume most of you being serious martial artist have little tolerance for lazyness but that is the only thing keepping me back. i have to work on it myself but my lazyness is such a bad habit that i'm to lazy to stretch regularly and consistantly. i didn't test for my BB becuase u have to do 100 pushup, 100 sits, and break a board with your fist doing a normal punch, while holding the board urself. i was too lazy to practice pushup/sit ups and to lazy to train breaking the board too. and one allt he good instructors left it kinda fizzled outta me and i stopped. alll i need to do is stretch i think and i can get back into it and i'm the only oen whoc an force me to do that so, sry for kinda wasting ru timeing thinnkig i was unable to do it but i can, i'm juss a lazy Bas****.

althoughi could use some knowledge. i want to take up a more real fighting style that isn't so situational and wil actually work in a real situation. i was a few things on BL and they spoke a lil bout jeet kun do and how iuts instinctive and natural which i liek but i dont know too much else. TKD i dont liek becuase it is too situational and not very real. most of wat u learn are kicks and blocks and the only kicks u really woudl use in a fight u learn by orange belt(snap kick and roundhouse). nothing else will be effective, it juss looks good. i need something that will work but is also kinda fun and cool. i know street fighting will work prolly but i want something a little more gracful too and jeet kun do douns ok but if anoyne knows of more of wat tpye i shoudl take up, plz tell me

thx everyone
Posted by: Inuyasha

Re: hard to get back into it - 05/11/05 07:21 PM

Quote:

i know if i juss stretch and practice everyday then i can get it back but, i'm one of those people that cant really stick with a set scheduale.

Keep on training................
Posted by: wbbfan

Re: hard to get back into it - 05/12/05 01:03 AM

Quote:

ur a good person wbbfan but not everyone is like you. i was old enough to get my BB and i am still in good shape. all i need to do is tretch and i can get back in it, the problem is my own lazyness. i assume most of you being serious martial artist have little tolerance for lazyness but that is the only thing keepping me back. i have to work on it myself but my lazyness is such a bad habit that i'm to lazy to stretch regularly and consistantly. i didn't test for my BB becuase u have to do 100 pushup, 100 sits, and break a board with your fist doing a normal punch, while holding the board urself. i was too lazy to practice pushup/sit ups and to lazy to train breaking the board too. and one allt he good instructors left it kinda fizzled outta me and i stopped. alll i need to do is stretch i think and i can get back into it and i'm the only oen whoc an force me to do that so, sry for kinda wasting ru timeing thinnkig i was unable to do it but i can, i'm juss a lazy Bas****.

althoughi could use some knowledge. i want to take up a more real fighting style that isn't so situational and wil actually work in a real situation. i was a few things on BL and they spoke a lil bout jeet kun do and how iuts instinctive and natural which i liek but i dont know too much else. TKD i dont liek becuase it is too situational and not very real. most of wat u learn are kicks and blocks and the only kicks u really woudl use in a fight u learn by orange belt(snap kick and roundhouse). nothing else will be effective, it juss looks good. i need something that will work but is also kinda fun and cool. i know street fighting will work prolly but i want something a little more gracful too and jeet kun do douns ok but if anoyne knows of more of wat tpye i shoudl take up, plz tell me

thx everyone

Some times every one is lazy. LOL. Maybe not as lazy as you, but even serious BBs get lazy some times. You might be surprised just how hard it is to get back into it. Try stretching and doing a mini class. The stuff you remember, in simular numbers. It might surprise you. If not, and all you need to do is stretch, then your very lucky.
TKD isn't extremely practical. But it does have some good stuff after orange belt. When you become a black belt, you learn some throwns, and stuff that can really help if you every get attacked for real. But I understand your wanting a new art. I am looking for a new one too. Some thing more balanced. Good luck beating lazyness. It's a very very tough enemy.

Re: hard to get back into it - 05/14/05 11:54 PM

woo, i stretched and practiced for liek a half hour saturday. i kinda strained my muscles tho becuase i did the thing where i leaned against the wall and do a side kick or roundhouse in the air and held it. that was fun, lol.

i can do straight kicks liek snap kick and cresent kicks but i can do kicks liek side kick, hook kicks, and especially roundhouse kick. basicially anything were i dont kick straight.

got any good stretchs for that or juss the normal stuff(spreading ur legs and stretching tot he middle and sides, etc)?
Posted by: Prometej

Re: hard to get back into it - 05/24/05 01:40 PM

Make your training more interesting. Reward yourself after doing a workout. Try finding a friend to practice with so that you can push each other when you get lazy.
Something that pushed me when i got lazy was Bruce Lees movies.
And be happy that it`s just lazyness your problem. I`m having a constant problems with injuries for about 3 years.Imagine how that feels when your body is keeping you away from something you love. So be gratefull on your health and keep training.