Walk Tall

Posted by: senseilou

Walk Tall - 04/27/05 03:25 AM

A voice from the past!!!! First I want to thank everyone for their nice words and thoughts and for those who took the time to privately e-mail me. I appreciate all the good wishes and the not so nice ones as well. As my Sensei says, "if people are talking about you must be doing something right." Well everyone is not going to love you anyway huh?
While I have been gone I have been working on several projects,a book, a series of articles,a DVD series, my web page and others. One of my projects is now done and wanted to share with everyone what its about.
Those who know me know how much I dedicate myself to the preservation of the arts, and the pioneers of the past. Its my foremost goal. I have noticed in general a real shift in the Martial Arts practioner of today and those of say 10 to 15 years ago. A bigger difference in those who have 20 years or more in training. I have seen many examples of dis-respect, ego, and prejudice. Most people who have trained like to talk about what the Martial Arts offers, yet many times, that same person does not practice what they preach. They "talk the talk", but don't "walk the walk". They talk about what they have gained from the arts, yet don't act like they have gained anything.
I was watching a concert and was inspired by a John Mellencamp song "Walk Tall". Stealing Lance Armstrongs idea, I created a "Walk Tall" wrist band to serve as a personal reminder to "live the the Martial Arts" and act according to the tenants we have gained from our training. I am not going to go into costs and that sort of thing here. If you like the idea of wearing a message, you can check it out on my web site or e-mail me directly.. The wrist bands will be on the web site in a day or so.
I am real excited to try and send a message, and get people to be proud of what they do, and forget the ego, prejudice and boastfulness that sometimes accompanies training. If this doesn't turn you on its cool, I just wanted to offer this to some of you I know feel the way I do, and the wrist band is a way to express it. It is not a money making scheme, and you will see I am not trying to take advantage or make money, I am basically covering my costs, and so I can present ones to my seniors who feel its a good idea. Once again, this is just a brief stop back, but I will be glad to answer any personal e-mails. I wish all of you sucess in your training! www.yumedojo.net
"SenseiLou"
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Walk Tall - 04/27/05 07:14 AM

Welcome back my friend. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Walk Tall - 04/27/05 08:52 AM

Welcome back. How is/was Hawaii, and your book coming along?
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Walk Tall - 04/27/05 03:45 PM

Very nice to hear from you. Hope you are well and happy.

I think the wristbands are a great idea, and I will look further into it. I did go to a seminar once where the instructor, Benny Urquediz, (may he forgive me if I mis-spelled it) before doing anything else, had everyone take off their belts and put them away, so no one knew who was what rank. We were all just people, and it was great. No intimidation, and no egos.

Re: Walk Tall - 04/28/05 01:31 AM

Hi senseilou,
No offence but wristbands aren't my thing. I do like the concept though,I'd like a T-shirt!