right or left stance?

Posted by: Alex89

right or left stance? - 04/26/05 03:17 PM

Well, my friend has a lot of problems deciding which stance he should use. He prefers punching with his right hand( his strongest hitting hand, and kicking with his right leg (also more stronger than his left). I tried to help him, but now i'm confused. What stance should he use, Right or Left? When I say right stance i mean that his right leg is in front.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: right or left stance? - 04/26/05 03:40 PM

What about use both? Eventually his left punches and kicks will improve.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: right or left stance? - 05/04/05 12:25 PM

Why not both? If his right side gets chewed up, he may want to switch to protect it. Most people fight almost exclusively with a dominant side, and I think that's a mistake.
Posted by: Inuyasha

Re: right or left stance? - 05/04/05 06:27 PM

its better to have both but if it was up to me it would be the
left........
Posted by: MattJ

Re: right or left stance? - 05/04/05 07:53 PM

I agree 100% with Ironfoot. Learn to fight on both sides.
Posted by: -Kagemusha-

Re: right or left stance? - 05/04/05 09:10 PM

That's the whole philosophy behind Jeet Kune Do, learning to have no weakness. I agree that your friend should learn to fight both sides, but not until at least 2-3 montsh of one side, then have him switch for 2-3 months to the other side. If you are doing them both at the same time, its often much harder to juggle learning them both, and learn them both with correct technique. Learn northpaw, or with his left hand facing foreward first, then the other way.

Although, if you are planning on self-teaching it all, i would heavily advise against it. HEAVILY.
Posted by: BulldogTKD

Re: right or left stance? - 05/17/05 08:38 PM

One word BALANCE....
Posted by: SteveB

Re: right or left stance? - 05/18/05 04:59 PM

I normally fight with my left side forward. In the past when I have had an injury to that side and I wanted to protect it I switched. When the injury would heal I was always a better fighter as I had more options until I reverted to the left forward.

I have two left handed students in class now and they clean up in class as they have the advantage of “fighting backwards” to everyone else’s stance. Learn both.

SteveB
Posted by: Inuyasha

Re: right or left stance? - 05/18/05 08:47 PM

New word of the day: ABADEXTRIES