defining burnout

Posted by: sunspots

defining burnout - 04/26/05 03:15 PM

I am looking for responses from instructors on this one, please...

How would you tell if a student is getting burned out and in danger of quitting? What signs would you notice that signaled this to you?

My own instructor and I recently had some friction on this point. I ahd been training 4 nights a week before a seminar/tournament weekend, and apparently was showing some stress during these events. Afterward, I felt o.k., but my teacher is pushing me to take some time off.

I think that as long as I am working with enthusiasm, and making honest efforts to improve, not making lame excuses for not being there or working half-heartedly, that I am o.k. I have my moments of frustration, like everyone, but I get over them.

I have nothing but respect for my teacher, but maybe I just don't see what he is seeing in me. Any insights would be appreciated.

respectfully,

sunspots
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: defining burnout - 04/26/05 04:27 PM

Burnout can be a catch all phrase for alot of different symptoms. It can be physical and or emotional. The physical can be handled easily enough with rest. Being unwilling or unable to rest can be symptomatic of other problems.

Often you hear people say things like " I'm addicted to martial arts". Many times they are. Addictions serve the purpose of providing pleasure or avoiding pain, either physical or emotional pain. Addictions to say traing or shopping can be called process addictions. Training can release both adrenaline exciting us or endorphins ( endogenous morphine) relaxing us. The behavior of training can help us to feel safe and in control of our lives and our world. That control is for the most part an illusion.

As an instructor the question is, is the student using training to embrace life and reality or are the usnig it addictively do avoid developmental stage or disquieting feelings.

As with any addictive process we build up a tolerance for our drug or behavior of chioce and need to increase it's usage.

We can develope an addiction to our own body chemestry. The adrenal gland that produces adrenelen grows to meet the demand and can cause symptoms such as insomnia and anxiety. It can also lead to a diagnosis of ( Hypo Adrenia) or adrenal exaustion . This causes extreme fatigue and can be co morbid with depression.

Burnout can also come when we are no longer able to use our illusions to prop up our flagging self esteem by working harder , winning or succeeding in the way we have in the past.

Take it easy for a while if you can. If you can't, take it easy for a while longer. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: sunspots

Re: defining burnout - 04/27/05 10:19 AM

Thank you, oldman, for that reply. I had not considered some things that you brought up. Perhaps it's time for a little "retreat" and some deeper thought on the subject.

respectfully,

sunspots