Beginner Advice

Posted by: Anonymous

Beginner Advice - 04/23/05 03:06 PM

Hey guys I'm new here, and I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this but we'll see. I want to start training in MMA. I have to wait until next month since I'm moving and I was just wondering what I can do to get into better shape for training endurance. I already lift weights and am in decent shape, but I lack endurance and footwork. Also, I want to know if it's better to choose a style to start with like say Boxing, muay thai, or BJJ and then move on to others later, or to start with 2-3 styles from the beginning. Finally, if anyone knows of any good gyms in San Franciso I'd appreciate it since that's were I'm moving to for work and I don't know the area too well. Any help will be appreciated thanks.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Beginner Advice - 04/24/05 10:52 AM

get a good skipping rope. learn to be light on your feet with that. skipping improves endurance like crazy. also run as much as you can. and cycling is good too. doing these things will start to take off any body fat so if you do have some muscle you should be good to go.
i would say maybe at first its better to focus on one style. say learn muay thai striking so you have a good base to learn the basics? then spread out. you can evolve a style to how you like later on anyway..