Bad teaching Vs. Good teaching...

Posted by: Anonymous

Bad teaching Vs. Good teaching... - 04/08/05 05:45 PM

The question rages on what is the best kind of trainer (I say trainer as a general term, instead of Sensai, Sifu, Arjan, etc.) to look for, and what is the worst. Some say it is the soft, quite, everything you do is right type. Others say its the hard-headed, everything you do is wrong, you have to earn my respect type. And there are those (like me) who think it's a good mix of both that makes a good trainer.

Watch this video...and tell me whether or not you would train at this guys gym, and whether or not his training method is productive in the least.
http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=Links&file=viewlinkinfo&id=92

Let me know if the link doesn't work.
Posted by: Shadowfax

Re: Bad teaching Vs. Good teaching... - 04/08/05 06:22 PM

That guy needs to be arrested.

I think a good trainer is one who tells you when you have done something that isn't right, and who also tells you when you have done something that is right.

And I think a good trainer is one who gives you what he says he will give you - - i.e. if he says you will learn self defense, and then teaches you how to point spar really well, he is not a good trainer. If the same guy says he will teach you to win tournaments, but what he teaches you will not be applicable on the street, then he's a good trainer.

Re: Bad teaching Vs. Good teaching... - 04/08/05 08:19 PM

Agreed. The best is also the one that can verbally tell you how you are doing better than the rest. The best doesn't necessarily have to be someone with tons of experience, just the one that can verbally communicate the steps in a technique the best.

Ex. We are all very capable of tying our own shoes, but if you had to verbally tell someone how to do it, using a step by step process, naturally you would have trouble doing it. Great psych experiment our teacher showed us in class.

Ex.#2. Tiger Woods has a coach, but that coach certainly isn't as good as Tiger at playing golf, he IS good at verbally communicating whether Tiger is doing good or bad, and what he is doing wrong.

This could also relate to 18yr old Senseis...

Re: Bad teaching Vs. Good teaching... - 04/08/05 11:50 PM

First off, definitely that guy should be put away for a while.

I'm a student instructor in my kwoon and am learning to teach. I couldn't imagine being so insensitive to my students that I'd throw an escrima stick at them and then continue to beat them up because they were (I guess) having trouble with their practicing. First off its bad morals and second bad for business. I realize that maybe in ancient China they might have done something like this, but it doesn't help the student at all.

Teaching is a difficult thing to learn to do, as paradoxal as that sounds. My teacher is having me first demonstrate the technique, and then add words to that to help emphasize those points. A good teacher should be willing to demonstrate what the student is doing wrong as well as not only the correction, but how to correct it. They should be jacka$$es that push you past your limits, but also give compliments (sparingly, of course). Firm, but fair. They should demand respect, but also give their students respect. That aspect especially is what the guy in the video was definitely lacking.

I might have missed something, but hey, I'm just learning this position. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Oh yeah, I'm only 16.

[This message has been edited by Fang Sha Long (edited 04-08-2005).]