Self Teaching Muay Thai

Posted by: Anonymous

Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/01/05 05:45 PM

Does anyone think that it is possible to learn Muay Thai, or any other martial art form multiple dvds, and use the art effectively?

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/01/05 06:37 PM

No. Not without prior experience.
Posted by: Shadowfax

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/01/05 06:37 PM

No.

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/01/05 07:36 PM

I wouldn't say it requires as much in-dojo training as Karate or BJJ, but you need at least some fundamentals, don't you think?

- Op. Skinny Ninja
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/01/05 09:51 PM

No

JohnL
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/02/05 01:27 PM

Nope!

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/02/05 06:24 PM

Bad idea.

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/02/05 07:24 PM

Yes...........

WAIT!!!

I mean NO, NEVER.

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/04/05 12:03 AM

Could someone explain to me why this would not be possibLE. I mean what if I have like a weeks experience, my own bag, and a sparring partner?

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/04/05 12:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by -Kagemusha-:
Bad idea.[/QUOTE]

why?

Re: Self Teaching Muay Thai - 04/05/05 10:04 PM

Coming from personal experience, no one...and I mean NO ONE can teach you like someone who knows what they are talking about.

My background is in Western "American" Boxing, and as a young brat I figured what they do can't be that hard. So I bought a bag, hit it around a couple of times for maybe 1-2 hours a night. I even had a sparring partner...who was really just my best friend and we pummeled eachother, no skill invovled...just a brawl. And even to this day, that is the biggest mistake I've made in my MA career. Because when I finally decided to go to a gym and take lessons there. I realized that everything I had learned was wrong, (obviously) and I dont know if you know or not how hard it is to relearn something that you've been doing wrong for about a year. It took me a lot longer to adapt to all of the things I needed to change, I still ended up fairing alright...but it took me a hell of a lot longer without a doubt than most people who started with me.

Hence, self training=bad idea. Not just for that reason, but you cannot deny the feeling of a gym, the atmosphere. The people you train with become your brothers. The people you can call in a rough situation and you know that they'll be there when you call. (and they can fight, you would know from experience.)

Going to a gym is the best decision I've made thus far, because it started in boxing...then I realized that I had legs (who knew) so I started Muay Thai, which I am still practicing today...along with Filipino Escrima, Jeet Kune Do, Grappling, and Submissions. You can try all you want to learn any of that stuff on your own...but it's a terribly bad idea.

Just my opinion, you are the one who must make the decision at the end of the day.