Which one to choose?

Posted by: Anonymous

Which one to choose? - 03/21/05 04:11 PM

Hey all,
I go to UC Davis and I have been interested in martial arts for quite some time. I have never had any formal teaching, but I have read numerous books on BJJ and NHB submission wrestling an have trained some with my friends. I finally decided to get some real training cuz on campus we have many different martial arts clubs, but now I am stuck pondering which martial art to focus on. I practice some Krav Maga at home cuz it is pretty easy to practive on your own, but I am really trying to decide between Hapkido and BJJ. I want a martial art that I can advance in, and I really love BJJ, but I also want to be trained in standing/sparring situations and the BJJ club almost exclusively does groundwor. I'd like to do both, or BJJ and kickboxing, but I only have time to choose one right now cuz I also go to school. What do you guys think?
thanks
Charlie

Re: Which one to choose? - 03/21/05 04:30 PM

To be honest, I find grappling to be more handy. This is because I have studied a striking MA. Seeing as how you are studying a striking MA at home, perhaps it will assist you more too. Btw I do not suggest trying to teach yourself an MA, it requires hands-on learning. Taking up boxing can easily compensate for the lack of strikes in BJJ.

If you want a more well rounded MA, perhaps consider Japanese Jujutsu or Hapkido. I believe both contain a combination of striking and grappling.

When it comes down to it, it's up to you. Go with what feels right. At least to start with. Later you can pick up another MA if you feel the need to. Many schools allow a free first lesson. Go to the free lessons for all the MAs you are interested in and see if you enjoy them.

Re: Which one to choose? - 03/21/05 06:43 PM

Thanks fot responding. I think that I will go with BJJ becuse that is what I am most passionate about and I am already good at using strikes. Also, I understand that it is not really a good idea to tech yourself martial arts. That is why I decided to join a class because I reached the end of my progression quite quickly when I ran out of people that were willing to practice with me. (they all got served). However, I am a firm believer that studying the concepts and principles of the arts on your own is a very good supplement to the hands on training you recieve in a class. And if you put them together you are better off than if you try either seperately.
Charlie

Re: Which one to choose? - 03/21/05 07:31 PM

Glad I could help. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] I agree that supplemental material allows us to more quickly round our experiences in the MA.