Technique Efficiency

Posted by: rrbraxton

Technique Efficiency - 03/14/05 07:45 AM

I need assist in understanding how to make (traditional ju-jutsu) grappling techniques work more effectively on a much larger opponent. Say for example a 185lb man vs an attacker thats near the 285-300 mark. I understand the effectiveness of "atemi" and the point of "happo no Kuzushi". It seems with a stronger or more larger person throwing or takedown seem much more difficult...Is this due to the fact that my opponent knows my that my "atemi" is not coming full force..or is it during practice that my attacker can effectively resist because he much bigger and stronger and able to resist? Or is that just some techniques do not work on bigger opponents?
Your responses are appreciated.
Respectfully...
RB
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Technique Efficiency - 03/14/05 05:51 PM

I think the answer lies in more practice... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

But, yes, some techniques will not work, or are harder to apply on a larger person. E.g. o-goshi. If done the "traditional" way, you will find it very hard to load a 300lb person on the small of your back. You would have to adapt the technique somewhat.
Posted by: Naome_na_Hoiche

Re: Technique Efficiency - 05/10/05 01:58 AM

I am not to familiar with ju-jitsu but this may help.
- Begin with a quick Ippon 12 strike to the lower abdomen (where the bottom of his rib cage meets only flesh) on his dominant side, quickly begin to apply the Koto wrist technique (but do not follow all the way through) Use it to pull him forward and off balance. Then apply basic physics by steping beside and slightly behind him, placing your centre of gravity above and behind his. This should allow you to bring him down by sort of "falling" then apply a basic submissive grapple. -
Strength is good but it can easily be countered with speed. This combination (if applied accurately and quickly) might catch him off guard and weaken him, allowing a submissive grapple to be much easier to apply.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Technique Efficiency - 05/10/05 02:25 AM

Yes, some do, some don't. But I think the main difficulty is that you are trying to apply a technique "statically", i.e. uke is just standing there waiting for you to execute the technique. This is what we call "learning mode". Unfortunately, there has to be some level of cooperation from uke when in this mode. So uke must react to a *fake* atemi to the face, as if you were really intending to hit. Unfortunately, most people (black belts included) just stand there and blink at you - expecting you to hurt them and therefore *make* them move. We call this "practice mode", where you already know the basic technical movement and are practicing on your timing and execution.

Ideally, you'd want to get to "training mode", where you both know the technique and can feel the instant either of you resist, change direction, or change attack. This means that uke is attacking properly, and prepared to either take the ukemi or execute a counter, or reverse the technique.

Never get these 3 modes confused.