Tips for a newbie

Posted by: Anonymous

Tips for a newbie - 02/10/05 03:05 PM

Can any one help me, im intrested in doing MA, not for sport or to keep fit more so for looking after myself, im only 5'2 so yeh im short ass, so i need a art which will be most effective for my height, any tips guys???

Re: Tips for a newbie - 02/10/05 04:12 PM

Grappling styles like brazilian jujutsu, sambo or judo are good for people with reach disadvantages.

They allow you to get in close to the opponent, limiting the amount of damage inflicted on you.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: Tips for a newbie - 02/10/05 04:27 PM

Classical close quarters systems, such as okinawan karate and many chinese systems can be very effective for a small person.

As many will say, see what is in your area and go from there. You may not be able to be too picky; any ligitimate system will give you what you need.

-Al

Re: Tips for a newbie - 02/24/05 10:32 AM

well theres not many clubs for me to choose from, i have the choice of doing
1, kickboxing
2, Tai Boxing
3, Tae Kwon do
wich one would be the most suitible for me

Re: Tips for a newbie - 02/24/05 11:00 AM

If you're saying what I think, kickboxing and Thai boxing are both Muay Thai kickboxing from Thailand.

Take the TKD. Kickboxing is more knock-out strikes and blows while TKD is a rounded, more defensive art.

Just my opinion, however.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

Re: Tips for a newbie - 02/24/05 09:30 PM

yo I'm a small guy too (5'5). I choice an art that was good for my abilititeds. Well I went to the yellow pages and found this wing chun place and man was it great. You got to find out yourself what do you want to do. Go to diffrent clubs and ask for 2 free class ands geat a feel............

Just a suggestion.........

*Inuyasha*
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Tips for a newbie - 02/25/05 10:03 AM

I would go with Muay thai, then kickboxing.
Avoid TKD, unless you just want fitness and plan on competing in the Olympics some day.

Re: Tips for a newbie - 02/25/05 10:16 AM

if the kickboxing instructor has had boxing experience,...like a boxing art with kicking thrown in...that is good, id go with him...if not, i might do muay thai, then kickboxing...i personally dont recommend TKD if ur concerned about self defense and combat