What martial art styles should I consider?

Posted by: Anonymous

What martial art styles should I consider? - 01/13/05 07:17 PM

I hope I'm not wasting my time, or anyone else's for that matter by asking this. I've considered learning some form of martial arts; I'm 14 and thought it'd probably be better to start before adulthood. Anyway, I want to find a style the utilizes the staff and equally uses strength and speed. If you wish to ridicule me, do so, but I will counter, and thank you to any who help.

Re: What martial art styles should I consider? - 01/13/05 09:37 PM

if i were you, i'd start off with something just empty hand, then worry about using a bo staff or another weapon later into it. most martial arts you'd look into would involve strength and speed... what kind of thing do you want to learn? and how do you think you'd use it?

Re: What martial art styles should I consider? - 01/13/05 09:54 PM

I want to learn how to effectively fight with a staff, and there is really no use other than to pursue an interest of mine that may become something more. I'm about 6' tall and 150lbs., I have a good amount of strength and an ok measure of agility and balance.

[This message has been edited by Father Blink (edited 01-13-2005).]

Re: What martial art styles should I consider? - 01/14/05 10:01 AM

well if you want to look into something with a staff, i'd suggest looking into something like jodo, it uses a jo staff. i'd strongly suggest though that you start with something empty handed then start focusing on weapons training as you get further into the martial arts. just look around, do some research, and i'm sure you'll find something you enjoy. i hope this helped some, and good luck!

Re: What martial art styles should I consider? - 01/14/05 05:57 PM

Thanks, I was thinking of researching first, but then I thought to get an idea of a more specific style for my interests, thanks for your help. And I was also wondering if there are other martial art styles that use a long staff, or if that would come later with weapon training.

[This message has been edited by Father Blink (edited 01-14-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Father Blink (edited 01-14-2005).]

Re: What martial art styles should I consider? - 01/24/05 02:43 PM

See the Which MA post that I replied to earlier. I hope that I summed it up pretty well.