meditation

Posted by: Anonymous

meditation - 12/01/04 11:21 AM

hello everybody, i am new on this site and im a blue belter in TKD, but i still have some problems i will like to know if TKD has anything on Meditation, if "yes" please i will like to know how to go about it(problem really is i cant focus).And also i have problems counters and speed please im impressed with the way you guys find answers to other questions.pls find a solutin to mine. thk you
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: meditation - 12/02/04 11:24 AM

Hi Alfred,

I'm not really sure what you are asking.

are you asking if there is medication available to help with your TKD or are you asking if a grading examiner will take account of the fact you are already on medication?

If you are asking the former, the answer is no, stop looking for a quick fix and keep training. If martial arts were easy, we would all be brilliant at it and there would be no challenge. If you are asking the latter, then yes, a good grading panel will take into account any medical problems you may have.

If it was neither, my apologies for missing what you were asking.
Sharon

Re: meditation - 12/02/04 11:41 AM

think you missed the post there sharon,

i think alfred was asking if there was meditation practise in the art of taekwondo,

as for that i cant really say, the best you can do is ask your teacher, - you may find that one teacher will teach classes with meditation, another may not.

when i used to practise hapkido (another korean art) my main instructor never taught meditation, there were some breathing excersises etc

our secondary instructor would occasionally take the classes and at one stage set up an extra day for us to train with her outside of our regular schedule, she taught us with meditation and standing breathing exercises, danjun breathing etc

if you really want to learn meditation, you may have to look outside your art for it,

hopefully someone else will post something good fpr meditation, ill be watching myself to learn

Re: meditation - 12/02/04 11:43 AM

Sharon-

I believe he was asking for assistance with meditation, not medication. I have done a little meditation training way back when, and actually found it very helpful and relaxing. Cant say that i have done it for some time now. Mostly we just sat down, cleared the mind and did very slow, controlled breathing for about 15 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Re: meditation - 12/02/04 09:40 PM

meditation, medication. I practice both.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: meditation - 12/03/04 01:20 AM

So sorry Alfred, I did think it was a strange question, but we do get a lot of strange people here......including middle age ladies who can't read [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Sharon

Re: meditation - 12/03/04 01:50 AM

thanks everybody, Meanstreak, i will try out your breathing excercise and see if it will work out for me.

Re: meditation - 12/03/04 09:31 AM

alfred007,
In our school we begin and end each class with seated meditation. It is reffered to as "Tung shin Tung il". It translates roughly to "mind, body, together" I enjoy the practice very much. The practice of meditation has a long history in the arts and different approaches both spiritual and secular. As with any discipline there are no quick answers. The disciplined practice of meditation can increase focus but it certainly doesn't solve every problem. It can help you realize that problems come and go just like our thoughts and moods. I still have lots of problems just like you,and well what the heck, now you and I have something in common

oldman