Need some good advice.

Posted by: Anonymous

Need some good advice. - 11/11/04 02:43 PM

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me in what kind of direction i need to go to open my own school. I take BJJ and i have talk to my instructor about it and he is all for it. (sinc where i live i have to travel an hour to any other BJJ school) And I am going to college for a AA degree in Business. But i still dont even know how to get things started.....??????
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Need some good advice. - 11/11/04 07:06 PM

Start with a business plan. Determine your costs and your break-even point. Things you need to consider:

Rent- you'll probably need to sign a lease. Can you afford that?

Utilities- may be included, maybe not.

Advertising- you need to find students, what's your approach going to be?

Equipment- big start up cost, especially since you are going to need lots of mats.

Fees- what are going to charge and how many students do you then need to cover your expenses? Are you teaching full time or part time?

Competition- are there other schools nearby or are you the only game in town? Most people won't travel more then 3 miles to train (read that in a MA marketing book once, don't know that it's true 'cause I have on several occasions).

Merchandise- are you going to sell stuff? If so, you will probably need some kind of vendors license.

hope that helps and good luck

Re: Need some good advice. - 11/12/04 06:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. But one more thing. Tell how do you get a vending license???

Re: Need some good advice. - 11/17/04 10:58 AM

I recommend two books to help you out. The first is "Martial Arts Instructor's Desk Reference: A Complete Guide to Martial Arts Administration" by Sang Kim. It is a very good guide to the intricacies of starting and running a martial arts school.

The other is my own work, "Martial Arts Instruction: Applying Educational Theory and Communication Techniques In the Dojo" which will help you retain and motivate students.

You can find both on Amazon.com.