how would other instructors handle this student?

Posted by: sunspots

how would other instructors handle this student? - 09/28/04 03:53 PM

Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I would love some feedback from experienced instructors as to how to handle one of my students.

I am a Blue Belt in my style, and instruct the Juniors and Beginners in my dojo. Most of them are great kids, and we have a lot of fun. Gets a little crazy sometimes, but they are learning.

I have one student who is proving problematic, however. I have NEVER seen someone with less physical coordination and muscle tone than this kid (Age 11). We work basic blocks from a horse stance, and somehow he manages to get his whole body into a simple inward block. His spine seems to be like jello, and he somehow ends up glancing at the ceiling when throwing a simple forward punch. After 6-8 months I am still trying to explain the concepts of "straight back, head level, look at your target."

Figuring that he's gonna be the target of choice for schoolyard bullies, I had another Blue Belt work with him on a bag on his punches. The student, ("J" for privacy,) was punching the bag, and my fellow Blue Belt ("A") was standing behind it, lightly tapping at J. when he let his head guard down. Well, A. went to tap J., who flinched and caught a fingertip NEAR, not IN his eye. (Didn't even leave a red spot.)You'd have thought someone had shot his dog and insulted J's mother. Hand and feet protectors went flying in all directions, and he ran for the door screaming for his mom to get in the car, he was quitting, they were going home,etc. Mom grabbed him and it took her, A., and I all three to get him stopped, and wrestled to the ground to find out what exactly had happened. While we were "talking him down," he was hiding behind his mother's leg like a three-year old, and it took 15 minutes to get him calm enough to speak clearly. Turns out J. "doesn't like to hit people, or to be hit."

Sifu spoke with his mom after I had explained to him what had happened, (He was teaching another class at the time.)telling her that if this is how J. reacts to being hit, that M. A. is probably not where he belongs. She and J. think he can get over it, and he keeps coming and cheerfully doing things wrong, while I wait for the next meltdown. This kid will wander away while Sifu is talking to him, gets distracted by dust in the air, and loves to tell me about video games when we are working on kicks.

I hate to give up on a student, since my Sifu never gave up on me, but this kid is what Sifu calls an "energy vampire." I get exhausted trying to keep him on track and learning, and it takes time from students who are really more suited to M.A.

I realize that ultimately, it will be Sifu's call what to do with him, but I'd like to hear any thoughts experienced instructors have.
Posted by: kenposan

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 09/28/04 08:45 PM

Wow, that sounds like a tough cookie. Kids are a strange bunch in general and this youth appears to be more challenging then most. Having not met the kid I can only offer this:

He sounds a bit socially backwards with poor impulse control. This may be related to a variety of factors: ADHD, Autism or Ausberger's, mild MR/DD, or maybe just plain personality traits.

If "J" thinks the kid is workable and is willing to commit the time and energy needed (and Sifu agrees), then go for it but in it for the long haul. You have a lot to overcome. Be patient and work on things in small segments. Pick a couple of areas to focus on and hit them hard. Attention span and dojo ettiqueteappear to be a good place to start. It's okay to talk about video games, but not during drills or instruction.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by kenposan (edited 09-28-2004).]

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 09/29/04 01:32 PM

Thanks, kenposan, for your reply. I am just trying to take it class to class with this one, and keep working his basics (stances, posture, etc.) until he gets it. He may be a white belt for a very long time.

The student in question does seem to have some social issues, but they aren't ones I am familiar with. My 16-year old daughter has ADD, and couselors/doctors are thinking maybe mild Asperger's, but she never acted out like my student does. Perhaps it's a matter of degree.

Anyway, we have class tonight, so here we go again... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 09/29/04 07:30 PM

Kenposan has it right, based on your description of the kid's behavior, it sounds like he has Asperger's Syndrome. This is a Pervasive Developmental Disorder characterized by extreme social awkwardness and isolation, with poor gross motor coordination. Temper outbursts are common, even over mild provocations. Cognitive abilities usually fall in the normal to low-normal range. These kids are your stereotypical "nerds". They prefer playing video games, working on a computer, collecting bugs, etc. to socializing with others. We have a young man (now 16 years old) in our dojo with Asperger's. It was rough when we started, but his parents were patient and understanding and supported our efforts with him. He takes a couple of psychotropic medications, which have definately helped him control his moods. The combination of the meds, the firm but compassionate support and the parents have helped this kid attain a brown belt in Shorinkan karate. However, karate may not be your student's cup of tea. Just do your best like you have done, maybe learn more about Asperger's Syndrome to help you help him on his journey. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by budobrubbie (edited 09-29-2004).]

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 09/29/04 08:15 PM

Here's a suggestion, do as you will with it.

Take video of J in class, and later show it to him and his mother together. Maybe if he sees himself and sees his own behavior, he will be motivated to change his attitude. Most people are quite humbled when they see/hear themselves.

I'm not saying this is the solution. Look into medication and psychologists and all that stuff too.

[This message has been edited by Foolsgold (edited 09-29-2004).]
Posted by: Toudiyama

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 09/30/04 04:49 AM

I would probably advice him to do some Judo first, get used to contact without being hit

This is the exact reason why I think contactsports aren't suited for selfdefence, most who need it, do not like to be hit at all

Also maybe some tag-sparring where only the body is a target might help him with his fears of being hit, eventually, the head could be a target
The problem was he was hit from behind and that scared him the most I think in sparring, especially tag sparring if not done at full speed will allow him to see what is comming end get used to being hit
Posted by: Reiki

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 10/03/04 10:22 PM

Break his work down into tiny steps for him.

He is obviously having trouble processing the whole thing and needs to feel like he is succeeding, so making tiny progress steps will be easier for him to feel like he is doing something.

Agree about him needing to see what is coming at him before it hits him.

Sounds like he has some form of ADHD or a similar condition. Keep the stuff simple and short and focussed so that he is paying attention. Get him to show you how good he can do something very simple. Next time make it a bit harder until he is slowly improving.

We do an exercise with punch drills aiming for the kids to keep their guard up well all the time. Those that do not keep the guard up properly get pressups and more pressups while the best ones get a reward at the end.

Make it very simple at first with just a jab and a cross, keeping the guard up well. Do say 10 sets, if u see kids dropping their guard start again at 1 and keep repeating until they can make the 10 sets.

If they continually fail to keep their guard up then they do 10-20 pressups which will help to strengthen their arms anyway!
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 10/04/04 04:14 AM

I have a student with asbergers syndrome. He also had compulsive obsessive behaviour regarding hand washing (literally HAD to do it every 15 to 20 minutes. There were and are some severe family problems that have a huge affect on him.

He has been training for around 6 years and is now 15. He passed to brown belt (3rd kyu) a few months ago.

When he first started training a couple of other instructors told me he would not last 3 months. His school teacher told me "he will never be able to do it"

It has taken longer than most to reach this level, but so what? He enjoys his training, his body control has improved tremendously and he feels a real sense of achievment (something lacking in most other areas for him). I truly believe that if he sticks at it he will go on improving and gaining confidence.

Don't give up on this child unless he really is taking too much time away from the rest of the class.
Sharon
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 10/04/04 06:18 AM

Sorry, just re-read my reply and realised that my last paragraph sound like an order [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

I meant to say in my opinion, you should not give up on this child unless....etc.
Sharon

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 10/06/04 11:34 AM

No offense taken, and I appreciate your input. I am not going to give up on the kid unless it develops that other students are being shortchanged. I think I am going to try videotaping J, Sifu does it with other students sometimes. It IS an eye-opener sometimes. It was for me!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

And I think breaking down tasks into the smalles possible units will be helpful as well.

[This message has been edited by sunspots (edited 10-06-2004).]

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 10/07/04 10:01 AM

Talked with Sifu, he approved the videotaping, and will bring in the camera for me to use. He is also frustrated with J's progress, and is willing to try a different approach. We'll see how it goes...

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 01/09/05 08:21 AM

Good Question, I learned alot reading the replies, and your post provided alot of information, but keep in mind there may be some hidden issues you have no way of knowing about. His lack of coordination, may work itself out, he could be late developing. kids go through spurts, maybe he was a "latchkey" kid and stuck inside playing video games after school. Inappropriate reactions could indicate some past histor of abuse. So there may be alot of obstacles well beyond your ability to overcome. I mentioned a few possibilities, just as examples of why there are no blanket solutions. But like kenposan said, work a a few simple things until he masters them. I think his coordination will improve with some simple exercises like leg lifts, pushups, and situps. Jumping rope is probaby beyond his currect ability.. If you can bring the student up to the level where he is keeping up with the other students, and mastering the basics. You will have learned what a teacher's real reward is. And maybe your sifu has made this your task to help your progress. Granted, parents bring the children in to learn the lessons Martial Arts training provides childresn, and it's an old tradition in the orient, but they beat the kids there to get their attention. So you have certain limits how to deal with the lack of respect and disruptions his behavior causes. I know this isn't much help. Just be patient, try and give alot of positive reinforcement. and I would suggest keeping a journal of every class you keep. Because you will learn more from that activity, and will help you in the future than you could imagine .

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 01/09/05 11:16 AM

A couple of people above said Asperger's and I would agree too. Nice description above. I have an adult with Asperger's syndrome in our special needs adult class and he does very well and enjoys and learns from the class. I had a child with Asperger's that I was seeing privately that after he passed his yellow belt test, we put into the regular class. Goals need to be modest. The most valuable things you might be teaching him may have to do more with safety awareness. The rest may be an opportunity to main stream, get some exercise and fun and improve coordination. Striking drills may need to be avoided with any other kids. He may need to do his drills in the air or only with an adult.
Posted by: senseilou

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 01/09/05 07:42 PM

I am seeing this from another side. My first impression is that you said you are a blue belt. Not putting you down, what you have done is great, but I don't think you should be handling the situation. You still have things to work on yourself, and only have limited experience dealing with students on a regular basis. Sifu/Sensei should be handling this problem in my opinion. I think it is asking an intermediate student a bit much. Training beginners and juniors is trying enough, but you don't have enough experience to deal with a student with special needs. In the years of teaching, an experienced Sensei may have found little tricks or ideas to handle such situations. as exampled by Wado Woman. Its honorable and great you asked for help, but I think Sifu put you in a tough place. One of the best byproducts of teaching is learning yourself. If this student is taking your time away from others, and slowing your progress, you need some help. How can you develope your teaching style with this added pressure. I am not saying the student should be neglected, or not trained, but I think this is a Sensei/Sifus job or a senior student. They will have more experience to deal with the problems this child has. I am sure with the right guidance the student can learn Martial Arts and have it help him. I had an ADD student with some bi polar problems as well. I finally had to take him out of class and do privates, with him and his dad to get a foundation and a base to work from. He was taking too much time away from other students and was a terrible distraction. He just couldn't or didn't want to work with others. Instead of giving up, I put him in an environment that I though could teach the discipline and keep him on task. He constantly had his dad and I keeping his focus on training. I still haven't got him in regular class, he's still too disruptive around other klids, but we are trying to intergrate him a little at a time with his dad on the floor as well. Dad is progressing so we give him a bit more and he can help at home too. I have another mother in the kids class for a socially backward student, but he is out growing it and moving on. Mom should be able to stop soon if she wants to. Just some thoughts for you.

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 01/10/05 03:19 PM

Senseilou,
No offense taken. It IS a difficult situation.
I am teaching for a couple of reasons, one being because it seems to increase efficiency in in school. While I teach the beginners their basics in the early class, Sifu can give extra help to others in the later class (the one I learn in)who come early just for that reason. Students in our style are also required to have some teaching experience as they move up the ranks, and it seemed silly to have Sifu teaching left and right when others needed more advanced help, so this is part of my training. (Sifu will stay late after the second class to help me with whatever I need, so I don't feel I am missing anything.)

However, neither Sifu nor I expected to have the student in question in our ranks, and we are both learning as we go. We do the best we can on any given day with J., and hope. Often we split the class, and Sifu will take some of the kids, and I will take some, so that the kids can get more personal attention. (Much easier to work with 4 students than 8, especially beginners whom I want to get off on the right foot, and mixed ranks!)

The question of J. may be a moot point, he hasn't been in class since before Christmas.

I appreciate all the responses to this post, and will continue to welcome any suggestions or ideas. I want all my students to feel that they are getting good training, even if I am a lower rank.

sunspots

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 02/13/05 10:59 AM

i find that treating youngsters - even those with behavioural disorders - as young adults works very well. i jump on them for even minor infractions, but REALLY jump on them with praise when they do something - ANYTHING - right. You've got to show them that you are capable of positive reinforcement right off the bat, so that they get a lift in spirits and can latch onto that psychologically...

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 02/14/05 04:34 PM

I agree, bobmax. It's become my philosophy to dish out correction with a spoon, and honestly earned praise with a shovel. Everyone likes to know what they are doing right.

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 02/17/05 11:56 AM

i think giving up on a kid with this many social and physical problems could be very streesful for him. I think that persaveronous will give both of you something to be very proud of.

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 02/17/05 02:49 PM

I was willing to continue working with him, but I believe he has quit of his own accord. I have not seen him in several months. If he returns, we will try again.

So now I try to see what lesson there was for me in this situation. Patience, tact, kindness all come to mind. There may be others I haven't figured out yet. But J. was/is a valuable part of my journey at any rate. I hope that I had at least some positive impact on him...
Posted by: wbbfan

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 05/12/05 01:13 AM

If he wants to learn, then try. It must be really hard. I've known a few students who were like yours. But they never lasted more than a month. If he continue's to train, he will either leave or get better. If he gets like that that easy, than he wouldn't be able to put up with much more with out improving. That said, if he doesn't start to get better soon he shouldn't be aloud to stay. As you mentioned, It's just not fair to the other students. What happens if some one taps him accidently while controlled sparring, And he brakes down, the other guy would feel terrible. No matter how small, or accidental the contact was.
Posted by: rockleewannabe

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 05/15/05 09:56 PM

haha, that kid sounds like me a fair bit, personally I won't wander away when someone is talking to me, but I will look around

sounds like the kid's got an overactive mind, and he needs constant things to keep him occupied, if his mind is on one thing, you should notice a definite improvement over a short period of time, if he can talk while practicing kicks, even if he does badly at both, it means he's got a skill just a few have, multi-tasking

if you can use your mind at the same time as your body it's something to be encouraged, if he's around again try to encourage him to focus more on martial arts, but you never try to appeal to him about it, you simply act in a way that will catch his attention more, simply showing that you can break 40 bricks with one finger or something amazing won't do it, you have to have him interactively trying harder things that he can do well and learn easily enough, that he can put his mind to and get success at fast

at least that's how I work, and I understand that martial arts is all about dedication, but I've personally gotten bored of the basics

I'm rather certain he feels the same way I do, that when you learn a set of basics enough, you should be able to move on, so that you can learn how the basics are important to the more advanced parts, on your own

if he sat down and started sleeping I'd be worried about him not wanting to learn

the problem is that you're not giving him enough material to learn, try to blow his mind and I'm sure he'll focus on you better then all the other kids

for instance, sometimes I become extremely hyperactive and nothing will attract my attention for more then 10 seconds, however, it leads to amazing feats of skill due to an extreme usage of brainpower, it'll take much less time for my brain to work through an issue then normal

I was playing with my friend at pool, I normally almost lose to even him, he's not too good himself, however I was hyper one day, and amazingly, well... I got 5 balls in in one turn, and in the other game as we only played two, I hit a ball in, bounce the cue ball off it, hit another ball and got it in, without paying too much attention to this

but my accuracy was on par, whereas usually I'm the worst player

simply put, he's bored and you're going too slow

but there's other people in the class I recognize, so sometimes it's a challenge, you don't want to give him special treatment I'm sure, but I've been on the receiving end of forced equality myself, and it's very hard to control yourself when this happens
Posted by: Gavin

Re: how would other instructors handle this studen - 05/17/05 11:29 AM

Hi all. This is my first post so I'd just like to say Hi first of all.....

Your student definately sounds challanging, and seems to have to some servere confidence issues. I read a quote the other day the said "Most Martial Arts classes are designed to weed out the weak spirited!", the article went onto to suggest that the weak are the exact people Martial Arts should be aimed at. It kind of got me thinking about my Martial Art and why our classes do not attract huge numbers. Locally we are known as an extremely tough system, sparring and applying our stuff hard. This has gotten to be a reputation we have become kinda of proud of.

The students we tend to get come through the door are often experienced Martial Artists looking harden up their training. Most of the people who come off the streets very rarely stay more than a month or two. As I said this has got me thinking.

Most people want to learn martial arts so as not to get hurt. When they first get hurt, it is a huge culture shock to them, and completely the opposite to what they wanted to originally achieve. The approach we are now starting to take (I can't confirm whether it's working coz we've just started)...is to slowly build up their defensive skills as a priority over teaching them to attack. The theory is that once they have the confidence to slowly parry and evade techniques we can start working in progressively harder techniques and increase the intensity of their stuff so that they can become accustomed to and confident with the idea that they might (and probably will) feel pain during their martial arts experience.

I am also in agreement that you shouldn't have been left to handle this at your stage in the game. Practicing a Martial Art and teaching it are two wholely different ball games! http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
smile
Posted by: JohnL

Re: how would other instructors handle this studen - 05/17/05 01:20 PM

Hi Gavin

When newcomers visit the site, if they put a link to their website I always try and have a look.

I know when websites are put together there's a lot of pressure to get things done and sometimes there are errors that get corrected in due course.

However, the introduction page of your website has one of the best slips I've read in a long time. It says;

"We pride ourselves on teaching a pure combat system, as the original fighting arts were meant to be. We do not water our techniques down for competition, and will not teach anything that we believe will work in a real life confrontation."

I suggest someone needs to do a quick edit!
Posted by: Gemini

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 05/17/05 02:18 PM

I know this is an old thread, but it's a good topic. First, I would agree with Senseilou. At your level, you never should be put in that situation. It's no shot at you by any means, but you're talking about one of the most difficult situations that only someone with many years of experience would even have a chance at dealing with successfully. In my school, though I have been instructing for the past 2 1/2 years, even I'm not allowed to deal with "problem students". My sabumnim believes that there is no one who DOESN'T benefit in some way from MA's, but that doesn't mean that anyone can automatically be successful in teaching them. We've had 3 students in my school with such problems since I've been there. All 3 are still there and now treated as "regular" students.

The first problem was parental intervention. If the parents won't give COMPLETE control, he will not take the student because he says without it, there is no chance for the student to recognize him as the only authority. Second, if they agree but then sit in the students view crying their eyes out, it's just as bad. Now the student thinks there really is something to cry about. If he gets the support from the parents, the student knows Sabumnim is the only authority, and he is VERY strict with them. The longest I've seen these mental battles go on is 3 weeks. Then they follow him. It's an amazing experience and reminds me I have alot to learn. It's no picnic for Sabumnim either. It completely drains him mentally. As you, I also help in the class, but still under his direction. He focuses only on this student and I'll focus on making sure the other students doing what they've been directed to. By far the much easier of the two tasks.

Regards,

Re: how would other instructors handle this studen - 05/20/05 07:23 AM

Thanks, that's been pointed out more than a few times now....I've taken a bit of stick at the Dojo for that too! It's all corrected now! It's our first attempt at a site so I've been playing around quite abit! Thanks for spotting that rather embrassing typo!!!!!

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 05/20/05 03:13 PM

Just checking in again on this thread.. The student in my original post is long gone. But I think of him every now and then and wonder how he is doing in the rest of his life.

I learned from this experience that maybe this person just was not meant to be a martial artist. Not everyone is, of course, and maybe he is really great at something else. I would like all the students I teach to be wonderful, but I need to see them all as individuals.

I learned that I can't "fix" people.

My Sifu has mostly relieved me of teaching duties for now, so that I can concentrate on improving my own skills and being ready for my Brown Belt test somewhere up the road. Underbelts still come to me for help with things, and I am glad to help them whenever I can, they are all my family. I hope to return to teaching someday, perhaps I will be better equipped to deal kindly and properly with the "problem students."
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 05/26/05 04:32 PM

There are many issues involved in the situation which you describe. Some are severely inter-related, yet many may stand on their own two feet (as the saying goes).

Teaching children is a difficult matter. Good students are by definition EASY to teach, the hard ones are what seperate the professional teachers from the amateur instructors.

Some children may not be ready for what we do, many possibly?! You cannot spend all your time with those who are causing you issues, nightmares, problems. If you do, everyone else suffers. If the behavior is a danger, obviously you remove it/them.

If the problem is maturity, well that too is beyond your scope. You get a few minutes a week to cope with them, for good or bad, it is only a few moments time. The queston becomes, do you believe this child is helpful or harmful to what you are doing, attempting anyway?

Contact of any type WE are responsible for ultimately. Its why you must be extra vigilant with whom someone partners. Some kids are a dangerous mix. Others too giddy, or too whatever the case might be. Moniter and intervene if its a bad match.

Your instructor is not in the same room you are supervising? Even so, speak to him/her and lay out your concerns, fears with the challenges you are facing... ultimately no matter what we offer here, it will be the two of you who will succeed or fail, and our help will not in the end matter too much.

Keep them, drop them <shrug> you must pin down the most important issues and iron them out first. After that, the smaller ones are less alarming I would suspect... In the final analysis the boy you describe if you can figure his challenges out, will make you a far better teacher. Thrown out, and the opportunity is lost.

Its my opinion, I could surely be mistaken...
J
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 05/26/05 04:40 PM

J came to "us", or at least ~your child~ has some evil twins around ; ).

No, the child you describe is very common experience. High maintence, needy and something malliable <sp.?> still able to be easily formed. Find a way to reach them, and you get an excellent student. If they truly quit, it is unfortunate but we cannot force them, if they choose not to stay, to work! Hopefully we keep far more than lose and of those we lose, hopefully will return someday, truly ready the second time.

J
Posted by: Shotokan_Nut

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/22/05 09:35 PM

I think a hard approach should be taken with consent of the parent. We have something in our dojo called the bull ring. (where the students form a ring around the person and push him around until they get a rise out of him) This is a sort of "kill or cure" method and should not be taken lightly as someone may get hurt or the person may just give up the classes in fear. Another method is gradually introducing contact to him. Individual padwork starting with light hits with the whole class(so the student doesnt feel a spectacle) to build his confidence up or even shadow boxing. i dont know what to do about posture so i cant help you there. hope this helps
Posted by: Galen

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/23/05 08:32 AM

Quote:

We have something in our dojo called the bull ring. (where the students form a ring around the person and push him around until they get a rise out of him)

Now that I have had a little time to digest this statement, Ill try and respond as calmly as possible.

This kind of training / teaching method is, without exception, the most irresponsible kind of barbarism I can imgaine.

Look at your own terminology..."push him around".

God in heaven...I cannot imagine this kind of cruelty in a professional setting of any kind. This speaks to me of a head instructor so drunk on his own power and arrogance that he feels bullying people is an effective way to deal with an issue.

Parental consent?? Please. Most parents know nothing about the martial arts, and an instructor would have an easy time convincing them that this is an acceptable method of instruction.

Believe me, I am as hard core and demanding as instructor as you are likely to meet, and this is so far out of the realm of acceptable teaching methodologies, I cant ever begin to voice my anger and distaste.

And what is worse, is coming here and advising a blue belt to try this medieval insanity on one of his students!!

Please...abandon this nonsense. Its teaching at its most depraved.

Galen

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/23/05 08:47 AM

Quote:

This kind of training / teaching method is, without exception, the most irresponsible kind of barbarism I can imgaine.

Oh come on Galen be fair! Ever since the bears and wolves became extinct, us Brits have had to find other ways to amuse ourselves! They won't even let us hunt down lone foxes anymore.....something about using a pack of 50 dogs and a herd of horses is cruel? Bloody liberals!

Shotokan_nut, seriously I'm in agreement with Galen here, Martial Arts are designed to build people up not to humilate them in front of a crowd. I think you've either misunderstood the purpose of this exercise or your instructor has some serious issues!

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/23/05 07:11 PM

The bull ring is a highly safe exercise. Do you think we just attack the person in the centre. Parents agree with the bull ring as the child may find himself in the same position with playground bullies. The bull ring employs gentle pushing of the student in the middle, and also that is why i said "kill or cure" because i wont deny that it is a very controversial method of teaching.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/23/05 08:56 PM

I think that method of training was started in the 80's with a highly feared org called "Cobra-Kai".
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/23/05 09:29 PM

Quote:

I think a hard approach should be taken with consent of the parent. We have something in our dojo called the bull ring. (where the students form a ring around the person and push him around until they get a rise out of him) This is a sort of "kill or cure" method and should not be taken lightly as someone may get hurt or the person may just give up the classes in fear. Another method is gradually introducing contact to him. Individual padwork starting with light hits with the whole class(so the student doesnt feel a spectacle) to build his confidence up or even shadow boxing. i dont know what to do about posture so i cant help you there. hope this helps

this really confuses me so i'm gonna have to clear it up or it will nibble at me and i won't be able to sleep.

if someone 'rises' whilst in the bullring is that a good thing or a bad thing? do you want him or her to lose it and start attacking everyone or do you want them to stand and take it?

to me your standard bully target goes into martial arts to learn to defend themselves from being circled and called names and pushed.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/23/05 10:09 PM

I tend to agree with Galen and Gavin on this. I don't think the thing to do with someone who has confidence issues is subject them to (possibly) such a humiliating and degrading experience. The best thing to do would be to set aside some private time to work with such a child on their confidence. Other than that, other reasonable options have been stated.

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/24/05 07:53 AM

Quote:

The bull ring is a highly safe exercise ... i wont deny that it is a very controversial method of teaching.

Can you not see the contradiction in this statement?? If it was safe, it wouldnt be controversial!!!

And what is your professional, scientific basis for that statement?? How do you know its safe, when it is so obviously rife with potential psychological danger??

This kind of bullying (and you can dress it up any way you like - its still bullying) can have a profound impact on anyone, let alone a child.

I might, repeat MIGHT be able to make peace with using this methodology on an adult. At least adults are supposed to have free will. If an adult doesnt like the exercise, they have the option of walking out.

Kids, on the other hand, have no such option. They are at the mercy of the authority figure that the instructor represents.

You can defend it all you like. For kids, this is absolute and complete madness. For my part, I am done talking about this. I dont use these words lightly, but this topic sickens me when I think about the potential damage you could be doing with this.

Galen

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/24/05 04:16 PM

this is my own little test to see if teaching martial arts the hard way is acceptable. I can see that it is not. The whole concept of the bullring is entirly stupid not to mention emotionally scarring to the person involved.
Yes i did indeed read it on a cobra kai website and wondered whether it would be accepted as an idea to introduce people to conflict. I myself think the idea is barbaric and totally uncalled for. I hope that me toying with your feelings for surveys sake has not angered you and if i have. I give you my most humble apologies. Thank you for your views on the matter

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/24/05 04:21 PM

I find the "Bull Ring" idea absolutely barbaric and cruel. To take someone who has come to me for HELP, and subject them to that sort of emotional (and possibly physical) brutality is not only unethical, but would get me stripped of rank and honor and not-at-all-gently thrown out of my school on my butt. Stuff like this is what makes kids come to school with shotguns, in my opinion.

On the other hand, what Shotokan Nut said about gradually introducing contact seems INFINITELY more effective and productive.

Just my $.02

sunspots

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/25/05 06:58 AM

Quote:

We have something in our dojo called the bull ring.

Here you implied here that your Dojo actually trained using this method.

Quote:

Yes i did indeed read it on a cobra kai website and wondered whether it would be accepted as an idea to introduce people to conflict.

Here you basically admit that you made the whole thing up.

Shotokan_Nut, I hope you don't take this is wrong, but I think you're quite young. There are a lot of very experienced Martial Artists and Instructors, most of which will be happy to entertain any sensible questions regarding MA's that you may have. Making stuff up like this wastes people time, anoys them and will cause people to ignore everything you post, regardless of whether its good or bad.

My advice to you my friend, is first and foremost, if in any doubt ask your Sensei first. Things that you read on the web can be completely misunderstood as the person you learning from isn't present to see if you've truely understood. Your instructor is present. Also, the simply truth is that some things read on the web isn't always true, some people make things up (I refer to the case in hand) to make themselves out to be more than what they are, again if in doubt ask your Sensei.

Here you don't need to make stuff up to impress people, this will just show you in a bad light, as will speaking on a subject you don't know anything about. Asking honest sensiable questions will get you everywhere.

Hope that made sense. Oh, and in case I didn't mention it, if in doubt speak to your Sensei!

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/25/05 11:14 AM

Quote:

this is my own little test to see if teaching martial arts the hard way is acceptable. I can see that it is not. I hope that me toying with your feelings for surveys sake has not angered you and if i have. I give you my most humble apologies. Thank you for your views on the matter

Gavin has spoken most eloquently, and with a great deal of insight. I, being a little less tolerant, am not quite so forgiving.

I see one of two possibilities here.

1) you do have a bull ring, and are reacting to the negative feedback by trying to make it sould like you dont, or,

2) you dont have one and were indeed making the while thing up

Which it is makes no difference in how I am reacting. Either way, you have lost your credibility, at least with me. I wont pretend to speak for anyone else, but from now on, I will look at every post you make and wonder if you are being truthful, or if you are making it up with an ulterior motive in mind, or if you will back peddle in the face of negative feedback.

A little advice, if I may. This is not a face to face discussion with close friends. This is an anonymous forum, where the ONLY thing people have to judge you in is the face you present here.

Take care that you present a face that you will be prepared to live with.

Galen

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/26/05 04:57 PM

Ok to be honest.
I first saw the "bullring" on The Next Karate Kid being taught by The army Colonel (Jack Nicholson). I genuinally wanted to see the reaction of the posters on this website but not for survey reasons, for me to see whether anyone agreed with a harsh way of teaching students.
Im 16 and am 9th Kyu in Shotokan (orange belt)
I dont have anything like this in my Dojo and if anyone tried it i would just leave and never come back, and report the Sensei to the English Governing Body.
Im sorry i opened my mouth now because i understand how passionate you all feel about MA teachings

Sorry

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/27/05 03:00 AM

Galen, I was having a minute of weakness - usually I'd be all over this one like a rash. But, I have faith in little Shotokan_nut, I feel one day the force maybe strong with this one!

Shotokan_Nut....Apology accepted our young Shotokan friend. You've got to learn, so consider this one of lifes little lessons!

There's nothing wrong with asking questions about something that puzzles you, that's what this place is all about, the trick is how you ask the question. Just my take, but I'll try to give you an example of how, if I'd been you, I'd have asked the question:

"Hi guys, I was watching a Kararte Kid movie the other day and I saw something called the Bull Ring <insert description of Bullring>. I know its only a movie, but I was wondering if this is a good exercise to do in a Dojo?"

Gav
Posted by: webby

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 08/27/05 02:03 PM

i am not instructer!! but i would say try to keep him intrested in kata or patterns!! may i ask what M.A u tech??
Posted by: Dannyl_K

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 02/22/08 01:56 PM

Wow, I can't say I have a student to that extreme but I started teaching at blue belt too. There is a girl I taught that had ADD, but I don't let her use it as an excuse. She sounds just like your problem student where she seems like she shouldn't even be there (i.e. changes subject, doesn't want to hit/be hit)

I found that for as much as it made me want to punch the wall, I learned the most about teaching working with her because it tested my ability. All I could was tell her straight up if this doesn't happen, then this won't happen. (if you don't pay attention during belt test you won't get your next belt)

I don't bash them down (not saying you do too), but sometimes I have to stop and talk to them to let them know what I need them to do, and help them find what they want to do. (get their next belt)
In a sense I be there big sister and they'll listen to me.

With your student, he likes video games yes? Heres one I heard that hit the spot. I assume that he's played a few first person shooters.

So he starts talking about his video games - let him talk for a second and gather what he is talking about (probably his high score)

Ask how he got to his high score, it was my being good at it.

Explain that in video games, are they afraid to hit someone or be hit? If your favorite charater jumped out of the screen would he/she be passive and shy or hardcore and agressive? How the health bar in games is like there fight, and if you use a cheat code you can keep fighting forever. When there health is low you don't want to fight anymore.

Always keep your fight up. And that your teaching them to be hardcore and strong there video game character....etc"

I hope something like that works, you might have to reword so it fits to the age, but your talking about "his video games and your karate" attention caught and hopefully he'll keep that mind everytime he practices.
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 04/19/08 12:22 AM

OK Sunspots, it looks like you are in for a big learning moment with this kid. You have hit upon a teaching situation you shouldn't have to deal with until you are much higher in rank and experience.

But you want someone to get to the verb. What can you DO? It isn't like doing another skill like a side kick or a punch.

Teaching in such situations isn't about driving the student(s) as much as it is about steering.

Think, for a moment about my first wife. She was bi-polar and had emphesema. She died not believing she had either one. A bi-polar person can be maddening to talk to when they are manic. The point is that it was impossible for her to change so it was up to me to alter my response. Since she was incapable of changing her behavior, why would I be upset about it? Being upset about a behavior that can't be changed only results in one thing, you are still upset.

So, much as I hate to say it, the change comes from you. Steer, don't drive. Nudge, don't force.

Teaching this one is going to be like coloring outside the lines. Sorry, but the best verb I could suggest is to THINK outside the lines.

Good luck,
Jeff G.

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 04/25/08 07:25 PM

Not long after my orginl post, this student left our school and I have not seen him since, so the point is rather moot, but thanks for your input. He certainly was a learning experience.
Posted by: jeff_andle

Re: how would other instructors handle this student? - 05/04/08 08:32 AM

Quote:

Not long after my orginl post, this student left our school and I have not seen him since, so the point is rather moot, but thanks for your input. He certainly was a learning experience.

The point is only moot if you feel that neither you nor anyone else can learn from it or will face it (ohh, say yesterday)...

I have a school in which half (OK less that that I am sure) fit this description to a fair extent. Yesterday's beginner class presented me with an 8 year old white belt that I taught for the first time (I usually handle advanced and adult). The poor kid was all over the place and running back to mom. To her credit, mom was taking notes and pictures - apparently documenting.

We've made a conscious decision to relax "DISCIPLINE" in order to get long term self-improvement of this kind of student and we do have some success stories.

In the case of this more extreme situation, perhaps private lessons are needed for a while. I am wrestling with the time investment that would require.