Now were cookin

Posted by: rrbraxton

Now were cookin - 08/31/04 08:21 PM

Hello,

"Olman" forgive my accertiveness!
IF someone asked you a question, would'nt you expect some kindof inteligent answer?
And by the way thanks for your response.
"I claim to be no-one other than to gain spirit and knowledge through Martial Arts...
Body, Mind, Spirit..A life long crusade.

Once again,

Respectfully

Rickmesiter aka grasshgopper :'}
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Now were cookin - 08/31/04 10:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rrbraxton:
Hello,

"Olman" forgive my accertiveness!
IF someone asked you a question, would'nt you expect some kindof inteligent answer?
And by the way thanks for your response.
"I claim to be no-one other than to gain spirit and knowledge through Martial Arts...
Body, Mind, Spirit..A life long crusade.

Once again,

Respectfully

Rickmesiter aka grasshgopper :'}
[/QUOTE]

Rickmesiter,
If someone asked me a question, would'nt they expect some kind of inteligent answer? You haven't been here long Have you?
The short answer would be no.
As for the other forum members there are some with a depth and breath of knowledge about the arts that is remarkable. I can't remember what I had for lunch. It could be that no one has that specific knowledge of that subject.
Good luck. On your quest you may expect to encounter many things. Trolls, Slayers of grammer, and young ones residing in grottos under their Guardians rec rooms. Intelligent responses? maybe, maybe not. Be patient if it's a lifelong pursuit that you're on, you will get your answers.

[This message has been edited by oldman (edited 08-31-2004).]
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Now were cookin - 09/01/04 02:27 AM

Meister...I have been following this for a few days now and was going to stay out of it, but maybe its time I add my 2 cents. On these message boards, one of the biggest thing I have found is that semantics and language are two big factors in people arguing or not understanding one another(except for the damn trolls and keyboard warriors)Many people talk about the same things only call things something else. When asking for an intelligent answer, you opened up pandoras box, as sometimes its hard to get an answer at all, and even the ones that don't directly answer the question sometimes enlightens. I have been on this board over 2 years, and am proud to say I have pissed some people off and made them leave, but it was they were spreading bad information and trying to invoke arguments. I think your mind and heart were in the right place, but understand there have been people who have come on these posts and basically told everyone they were stupid and that the writer is brilliant. There are some people who have trained for 20 plus years, others for 2. In this type of forum its hard to know who is who, and what is real. Many times the guard may go up, just by the way the persons message sounds. So that is what you may be up against.

I use to train in Japanese arts, and Okinawan arts and knew the Japanese terms for everything Martial,but in the past 6-7 years I have gotten into the Hawaiian arts and have not used my Japanese much and am not sure the strategies you wanted. I looked them up and found what I already knew.There are several 'interpretations' of strategy too. Here is mine:
Action-Re-Action-Counter Action
Now I don't know the Japanese terms for this but it is one of the strategies we employ. Basically, any military strategy can be used in training. Look at ranges................The Samurai sent in the bow men with arrows for long range attack. Today that is the Air Force with long range bombing, in training your long range weapons kicking. Next came the spear man, today its our mechanized fighting tanks and such. In training its striking range. Then the foot soldiers-our grunts, and your shorter range weapons, locking and grappling. So there are strategies in each level of this. There are also strategies within the ShuHaRi process, which includes fighting as your Sensei showed, fighting with the knowledge of others, and finally your added knowledge to the fight. ShuHaRi teaches the eesence of strategy as well, and this may help as well, once you see the strategy here. As an example one of my Sensei liked to stand and fight, his Sensei taught him how to do this and when. That same Sensei taught me to lock and go to the ground, when and how. Then my Sensei and I shared strategies till we both were gaining strategies from one another, and had a different battle plan. So there are all sorts of strategies, Ninjitsu has many of their own. Just because we can't answer your question, the way you want, doesn't mean we can't give you an intelligent answer. Remember that any answer may be the answer to the next question

Re: Now were cookin - 09/01/04 11:33 AM

Lou Sensei,& Oldman sir,

"No excuses"
Up front I need to applogize for the comment
in regards to anyone's inteligence. How pompus that was that>Pandora's box is a perfect anolgy. Point was well taken sir and a good one at that. Guess I'm a little green at this forum bis...

Any-how:

To continue, if I may in my 24 yrs of military service MSG (retired) U.S. Army.
My military training and schooling, Military
Intel, Army Security agency, OPNS NCOIC, 1SG, Seargent's Major Academy, Battle staff training....etc.etc..Quincidentally My martial arts career dates back to my KARATE backround while stantion in Japan x 2 yrs plus, and I Am still at it I might add but enough about me. Yes, of strategy's their were many. from a military perspective.
If, I do however compare the "Martial meaning Military" concept I always felt that in the Army Things were more direct and very Competent at allowing you to gain as much knowledge as possible, all the things to make you a better soldier was their.
This seems contrary in the Martial Arts, its seems that the more that's hidden from you the better, everthing seems to be to tied up in politics, to much ego, often to secretive.
However, these opinions are just mine. Yes,
mayby I'm over-anxious in my desire to learn more. Must mean: reching 50 yrs young puts pressure on my desire to soak up more info,
dunno? Thanks for allowing my opinion.

Respectfully,

Rickmeister
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Now were cookin - 09/01/04 02:12 PM

I admire your quest for knowledge and in no way was I talking down to you, rather trying to explain the results you were seeing from your post. I am avid believer in no matter how old you are, there needs to be a quest for knowledge. I admire you for wanting to still find information with all your experience. I too am in my early 50's and I seek information more now, than I did in my 20's. Today though, with the state of the arts, and the new age students who want the knowledge(and rank) but will not sacrafice anything for it, it makes communication sometimes difficult. One of my Sensei has equated gaining knowledge with walking through a mine field.(you probably understand this more than I)as there are so many chances to get blown up and less chances not to. But once you get that morsel of knowledge, it makes going through the mine field worthwhile. So I say to you,keep seeking the knowledge, it is our greatest battle.
I also agree with your analysis of strategy in war, vs the Martial Arts. There are many drawbacks in the arts to getting information you want, you just ran up against one of them. Organizations, styles and narrow mindedness makes communication and learning between people sometimes difficult. I think ego and lack of respect for what others have gone through is a major problem. As an example,alot of Aiki arts talk about Karate being easier to learn than Aikido and talk of how many years it takes to acquire skill in Aikido. They have never seen Bunkai and have never tried to relate a block to a choke. This type of thing is what kills communication and the learning process. A superior attitude. In this case both arts have much to offer, and studying both can accent either one. So it indeed becomes a challenge to accumulate information without some interior motive questioned. I try as much as possible to be a 'student' as much as a Sensei. This has led to people treating me like a white belt or a beginner. For some reason, older people and higher ranks are not expected to seek information, and people view this as a weakness. Again, knowledge equals power, so I just continue the search, just like the surfer seeking the perfect wave.

Re: Now were cookin - 09/02/04 08:12 AM

Lou Sensei,

This forum has just gotten better!
Uraaahhh...The greatest battle indeed!
I commonly relate knowledge to aquring
more tools to work with in my Tool Box.
Agreed, my quest for knowledge has not
yet diminshed as well. If I may call you
lou, our conversation has been very plesant
and I thank-you for your advise. I guess I
will continue to throw questions out their,
without comment, if they get answered great,
if not, oh well. Taking about wave's even they bear sinificance. A good book to read
is called The Waveman by Christopher Bates.
One of my fav's. Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger is another good one. See, I'm
on to another topic already.Well gotta go...
stay in touch sir, and thanks again.

Respectfully,

Rickmeister