Terror in the Skies-Again

Posted by: senseilou

Terror in the Skies-Again - 08/27/04 03:17 AM

There is a great article on the homepage about terrorists on planes again. I'd like to share another aspect of this. As trained Martial Artists, we have an obligation to our community, state and country. One of my Sensei called to tell me that he wanted me and all his senior students offer to train pilots, flight attendants and sky marshalls for nothing, and work it into our training schedule. He made it a point to tell us this was not a volunteer job, he was telling us to do this. Not wanting the wrath of my Sensei I got on the phone to offer my assistance. This was right after 911 and before the new requirements about cock pit door or sky marshalls employed. One airline told me point blank they didn't need my help, and would appreciate not telling employees that I would train them. I asked if they were doing any training for them and the answer was none of my business. I went in person to talk to a higher authority and once again told to stay out of it. I had to travel the October after September 11 and after getting on the plane told the attendant that if there were any problems I would be here if they needed me. The attendant said just stay in your seat, they didn't need any help. My point here is with all the talk about ailine security, if you can beat the system on the ground, the sky was open. When I got back I tried again and pleaded with the airline to let me help, but to no avail. I tried 2 other Airlines with the same result. Since that time I have several flight attendants who have come for training. One in particular didn't come out and say it, but hinted that there had been instances on some flights that training would have been a nice thing to have. At one point telling me that many a time she is scared to death by actions of people on some flights. Still today they do not have a physical training for any of their personnel. Once again I think we didn't learn the lesson of 911. As the article points out, there seem to be events in the sky that are not publicized. I am not talking about racial profiling, I am talking about having people in the air who can neutralize or just help in case of emergency. There was a major incident with a drunk passenger who went after the attendants and made all sorts of threats and was trying to open the airline door. Danger comes in all forms, and I think the airlines need to be better prepared and give their employess some peace of mind while doing their job. Flight attendants use to be a glorious job, today, with peoples attitudes, and the threat of terrorism, they should be recieving hazadous duty pay.
Posted by: CanuckMA

Re: Terror in the Skies-Again - 08/27/04 09:48 AM

With all due respect, what did you expect?

Airlines have their own procedures and in comes a perfect stanger telling them that they will train their crews?

I think it was unbelievably arrogant of your Sensei to even suggest this, not to mention reckless from a liability standpoint. If anybody took you up on the offer and then got hurt trying to do something, you could have been sued.

The artcicle is mostly fiction. The description of how she was able to observe that many people that accurately over the entire body of the aircraft is fantasy. The part about the flight atendant confirming the presence of Air Marshals aboard is also fiction. The only true part is about the men. They were a band on their way to perform at a wedding.

[This message has been edited by CanuckMA (edited 08-27-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Terror in the Skies-Again - 09/18/04 11:51 AM

Good points there Lou, it seems that they want to pretend it doesn't exist and it did not happen. I am sure airlines have thier precedures and all that but there is a good saying - shrewd is the one that has seen the calamity and avoid it. perhaps it should be 'screwed' is the person who does nothing about it!

I was told the other day by an air steward I know that they are now recieving self defence training which was a company desision. at least that is something.

personaly if something was going on, I could not just sit in my seat and wait for it to happen, you would have to bring out the leathal stuff-no mercy.

lets hope that the inflight movie is under siege 2!
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Terror in the Skies-Again - 09/18/04 01:34 PM

An Oklahoma Teenager Is A High-flying Hero

A Southwest Airlines flight bound for Tulsa was detoured to Dallas Sunday night to deal with an out of control passenger.

One of the passengers who stepped in to get the out of control flyer under control again is 18-year-old Bryan Golemon of Cushing.

Bryan is a high school wrestler and used his wrestling skills to help the flight crew and other passengers. The stewardess, she was standing right next to me and I said I'm a wrestler and if you want I can have him down in about ten seconds, she said OK.

They got the restraints on the man and the FBI took him off the plane in Dallas.

Southwest Airlines and the other passengers are thankful for Bryan's willingness to help.-KOTV newsite

The flight crews are grateful for any help when needed, the Upper management just doesn't want to be legaly responsible.