advise me! go on!

Posted by: Anonymous

advise me! go on! - 08/10/04 07:51 AM

Hello all, I am hoping that some of you can advise me as to what would be the most useful form of martial arts for me to start to learn on my own through a book or instructional video.

My situation is this- I am in my early 20s and I was an athlete in high school. I am still in ok shape and am fairly strong (I do a lot of farm work and heavy lifting) or at least I thought I was until I agreed to do some Tai Chi exercises with my Mother. She had started doing exercises from a book for her arthritis. Basically I realised I have no suppleness and that the strength I did have was uncomfortable to use.

My mother has long since given up but I am progressing through the book and teaching myself the Small Circle Form. I have been literally amazed at the benefits to my overall health and particularly my mental well being. This has led me to want to continue developing my physical and mental self through martial arts and I have been trying to research different styles on the internet.

The problem is at the moment I live in a remote area and cannot attend any classes until July next year when I will be moving to a city. When I do move I will start being instructed but I would like to start learning before then. I will keep doing Tai Chi but I also want to learn something that involves speed and more rigourous movements.

Basically I would like your advice as to which martial art would be best suited for my situation and if any books/dvds in particular would be useful to me, there are so many out there it is very hit and miss.

My main aim is to increase my health and well being and to increase my confidence. I have no desire to learn anything competitive and no interest in fighting for fightings sake.

Any advice you could give would be most appreciated. thank you.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: advise me! go on! - 08/11/04 03:11 PM

Because you're just starting out and have youth and strength, I'd advise starting with a grappling art, be it Brazilian JiuJutsu or Judo or Aikido. The question is who would be your training partner? Hard to grapple with yourself.

Re: advise me! go on! - 08/16/04 02:19 AM

Due to the potential lack of training partners and the potentially short duration of "solo study," I would recommend one of the many wonderful Karate arts. Be it Korean, Okinawan, or American. (or any others I am not aware of.) This should allow you to begin to work on your speed etc. but be forwarned, when you *do* go to an actual school with an instructor, he/she will probably have many little "suggestions" on how you might do things differently.

Re: advise me! go on! - 09/16/04 03:54 PM

Yeah I think Badger is right karate would be best as there is a vast amount of info and books on it which would make it easier for you to gain knowledge in it, plus when you move- it is more likely that there will be a karate class in the area, yes they may do things slightly different or you may find you have to adjust slightly but at least you should build a good base and you body will be better prepared.

karate also has kata's which is good for solo training and fitness and does have fast, rigorous movements. try shotokan karate, it's a strong-powerfull style with nice kata.

kata names from white belt to black:-
Kion, Heian shodan, Heian Nidan, Heian sandan, Heian Yondan, Heian Godan, Tekki shodan, Bassai dai.

If you have any questions or need advice on techniques just e-mail me.

Good luck,
Charlie.

Re: advise me! go on! - 09/24/04 10:55 AM

law