developing better height on kicks

Posted by: Anonymous

developing better height on kicks - 08/10/04 12:46 AM

im working on trying to get more height on mainly my roundhouse kicks. what kind of things should i be doing? i can already get them to about what would be neck/shoulder level on me and im 5'10. thanks.

Re: developing better height on kicks - 08/12/04 03:24 PM

squats help alot. about 100 to 150 a night.

Re: developing better height on kicks - 08/13/04 09:18 AM

to increase hight with your kicks you should do passive and dynamic stretching. kicking regularly will increase your flexibillity any way. try and stretch after a cardio work out when your muscles are fully warm especially hamstrings and adductors (inner thigh) if you stretch regularly and try and progress gradually each time you do it, depending on your current flexibillity you should be able to do the splits in about 2-3 months. focus pad training with a partner is also good, get your friend to hold a focus pad at a medium level, kick it- then raise it each time-pushing your limits. remember to never passively stretch a cold muscle and do not force a passive stretch or bounce on it (balistic) set your self a goal and go for it-thats how i did it.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: developing better height on kicks - 08/13/04 09:24 AM

Squats build strength, not flexibility,(at least in the sense of kicking height). Where did you come up with that Konbonwa44? n/m
BTEN, do more dynamic leg raises to the front and side for a warm up. Then just keep working on your kicking. I suggest doing relaxed stretches for your legs on a daily basis. You might also want to consider researching Isometric stretching, as this will make it possible to achieve maximum flexibility without much of a warm up.

[This message has been edited by DragonFire1134 (edited 08-13-2004).]

Re: developing better height on kicks - 09/25/04 05:16 AM

Go to the home page then go to stretching and there are articles there that will help you.

Re: developing better height on kicks - 09/27/04 09:57 PM

* Splits *

you have to increase your flexibility.

Re: developing better height on kicks - 10/05/04 08:47 AM

try 15 reps of front,round,side and back kicks as many reps as you need to optain max range (3-4. Twice a day as if you think splits will achieve it alone it wont happen, kicks always rely on mucsles that strech but also muscles that pull against the stretch try crunchs first then leg raise then abbductor raise, remember a strong core leads to a srong limb

Re: developing better height on kicks - 11/11/04 12:20 PM

I use a stretch I like to call the crane's stretch. It has gotten my roundhouse up to 7'3"(though I am 6'2, lol). Plus it allows me to apply a full force sidekick to face level, without having to chamber my body back, giving me a far more stable base. From relaxed stance, lift one knee and grab the middle of your foot. Then keeping your body upright, extend your leg upward to the side. Hold for 30-60 secondsand do it several times a day. Try to bring it above your head and make sure the leg is fully extended. You will see a drastic improvement to both the height, and the speed of your round kicks.