2 month training

Posted by: Anonymous

2 month training - 07/21/04 05:49 AM

My name is trevor, i am a complete newbie to the MA world. im enlisted in the army and scheduled to ship off 5 oct. i would like to learn some martial arts by then, but i was wondering if it would just be a waste of my time, would i be able to learn anything useful in that 2 month period of time?
Posted by: JohnL

Re: 2 month training - 07/21/04 07:33 AM

Nothing of value.

Your time would be better spent on physical conditioning.

JohnL
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 2 month training - 07/21/04 09:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
Nothing of value.

Your time would be better spent on physical conditioning.

JohnL

[/QUOTE]

Huh???
JohnL, I couldn't disagree MORE!
Mastery in the martial arts, ANY art, is a matter of well established FUNDAMENTALS. The most important lessons are learned in the first few months of training. Everything after that is an expansion and elaboration from that base...but without a SOLIDLY established foundation...you can only build so much.
You won't master anything in the first couple of months...but you can learn the fundamentals and be practicing them while in the service. BESIDES: There are thousands of people who train in the martial arts in the military. I have several friends who studied overseas while deployed...earning several belts. You may find a style that you wouldn't otherwise have had exposure to!! What's more, with all of the Martial artists IN the military...I don't doubt you'd be able to find MANY knowledgable and skilled martial artists to workout with and learn from.
Begin your journey now, Keep learning...
WORK HARD
PAY ATTENTION
move forward!

Papa John