to plan or not to plan

Posted by: Anonymous

to plan or not to plan - 07/18/04 06:07 AM

I can see whow watching the students and yousing drills can help correct mistakes in the lesson. But would yousing planners work to help performance?

Re: to plan or not to plan - 07/18/04 03:38 PM

I think planning can be an effective tool (yes I like using that word [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] ) to help focus on getting something out of training sessions.

'Plan' to spar ... using one arm

'Plan' to spar ... against multiple

'Plan' to spar ... upright

'Plan' to spar ... on ground

I think planning 'in general' is good. I think too detailed can become bad, as in you plan specific combos for the entire class. This can give bad habits of doing the same combos all the time.

Plan on switching up the combos ... and you get more out of it. Hope that makes sense.

Humbly,

[This message has been edited by Italian Monk (edited 07-18-2004).]
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: to plan or not to plan - 07/19/04 01:54 AM

I like to have a loose plan before every lesson. I usually don't stickk to it absolutely, but I prefer to walk into a class with a rough framework for that lesson.
Sharon
Posted by: JohnL

Re: to plan or not to plan - 07/19/04 07:40 AM

When teaching I always have a plan for the lesson.

It may be as simple as having one concept or refinement I want to put across. I'll have 2 or 3 thought out ways of putting this across but will vary this as the lesson progresses.

If you have no plan, or no particular reason for teaching what you're teaching, then why are you doing it?

JohnL

Re: to plan or not to plan - 07/19/04 02:18 PM

I always have some things in mind. It is usually a matter of narrowing down the concept that I want them to grasp. I often want them to learn so much that I run out of time while still teaching. I never go in with a blank check, rather I often go in with too much planned. I have found that I have to be flexible, cause I never know who will show up. As soon as I get a really good drill planned, I will not have and even # or something and it will blow it all to heck. But, that does mean that I can play if I want to even things out!

Re: to plan or not to plan - 07/21/04 10:13 AM

PLAN PLAN PLAN....short term and long term.
But remain flexible and open to change as the need presents itself.
Plans are projected parameters, not a rule.

Papa
John

Re: to plan or not to plan - 07/25/04 05:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Papa John:
PLAN PLAN PLAN....short term and long term.
But remain flexible and open to change as the need presents itself.
Plans are projected parameters, not a rule.

Papa
John
[/QUOTE]

I like this way of thought in planning [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Humbly,
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: to plan or not to plan - 07/28/04 03:11 PM

I was going to take over a woman's class for 10 weeks, so I drew up a plan for the whole period. Each week had a similar structure: a different kick, bag work with a different strike, some kind of self defense, etc. This was I was assured of:
1. not being repetitive
2. going into more detail for the selected technique
3. offering a wide range of instruction.

Things went very well, and I never had to wonder what topic I was going to next.
Posted by: schanne

Re: to plan or not to plan - 07/28/04 04:02 PM

Ever hear of the "Five P's of Planning"?

Perfect planning prevents poor preformance.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]