Private Lessons

Posted by: Anonymous

Private Lessons - 07/11/04 10:42 PM

How many of you have private students that do not attend group classes? How often do they train with you? Do you teach them your basic curriculum or customize the sessions to address their requests and needs?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Private Lessons - 07/21/04 11:00 AM

I've got one student who can't come to the general classes, but he's dedicated enough that I teach him for 3 hours a week privately.
He has a Black Belt in another style, as well as a Brown Belt in yet another...
but he saught me out for instruction and is a good student. I enjoy our time together.

Yes I modify what I teach for him. I specifically ask him to show me what he's been doing for years... then I use what I know from the arts I've studied and now teach to modify his existing style. This way I can expand on his knowledge/skill and experience w/out having to start all over.
SURE: I had to adjust some of his basics and teach him some new ones, but once I did... he's taken off like a shot!

Papa
John
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Private Lessons - 07/21/04 11:56 AM

I don't offer private lessons as such. If I have a commited student who is struggling or lacking confidence in a certain aspect of their training, I either go to their house or they come to mine for a couple of hours.

Occasionally a group of students hire a hall to practice and I go along too, but they pay for the hall between them.
Sharon
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Private Lessons - 07/22/04 10:50 AM

Good Morning Fletch1:

A private lesson is a group class in MUCH smaller detail [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]! In private lessons, they do not get the group dynamic, but single one on one attention to areas which require improvement and honing.

Many do not attend group classes, but at some point they must even for a brief time. You need the experience of working with MANY others to find new questions, and considerations which working solo.. does not provide.

How many times, how long, depends on the two of you. How long can you be EFFECTIVE as their teacher in the 5 hour lesson, right [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Jeff