What do you teach first?

Posted by: Anonymous

What do you teach first? - 07/07/04 12:10 PM

Just wondering what all you guys teach first to a brand new student, as far as discipline, technique, "lessons"
Posted by: sunspots

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/07/04 12:36 PM

Some formalities and etiquette, such as how to adress those of higher ranks, bowing on and off the mat, etc. Then basic stances and blocks.

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/07/04 12:41 PM

Thanks for the reply, but other than basic formalities you say stances and blocks, right?
Posted by: JohnL

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/07/04 02:03 PM

How to make a fist.

This comes from years of seeing senior grades who have never hit anything, do it incorrectly.

JohnL
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/08/04 02:43 AM

Before the lesson proper, the first thing is to make sure they are performing the warm up excercises safely. Most newcomers do not know how to do sit ups safely for example.

Once that is over, like John, I also teach how to make a fist first. It is amazing how many people will put the thumb INSIDE or have it sticking out. Many have the fist too loose or bend the wrist. And my pet hate is people whose gis sleeves are too long and they hold the sleeve in the fist.
Sharon

[This message has been edited by still wadowoman (edited 07-08-2004).]

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/08/04 02:51 PM

Yes, stances and blocks are the first things I teach. The positioning and blocks can be useful as defense before one learns offensive moves.

However, I completely agree with John L and Sharon that correct punching is a critical point, and we try to get to it as soon as the students have the blocks down reasonably well.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/08/04 03:01 PM

Sunspots, I agree that learning to block/evade is important. However, since most of the basic blocks are done closed fist, I teach them to make a fist first.

It is my experience, that if they practice the blocks with an incorrect fist, it is harder to correct and takes longer than if they are shown a correct fist from the start.
Sharon

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/08/04 04:10 PM

I try to ensure the mindset and thought process is right before showing too much to someone.

I instill concepts of awareness and mindset and continue to do so throughout training.

I then show 'footwork', creating base, root, flow, evasion and such (adapting stances)... allowing them to throw and defend first ... and while ensuring they are learning for the right reasons.

We then go into 'blocking', more of defelecting and angles ... and tie it into the footwork (as it all flows).

Then begin with more 'offensive' applications, beginning with the fists and kicks .... and continue to go over and tie everything in ...

From there ... we further our path ... of the arts [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Humbly,
Posted by: mark

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/09/04 03:42 AM

1st thing to teach a student is how to part with large sums of money. Especially this month as I have a holiday booked.

2nd is the safety rules and training principles ie: levels of contact, not locking joints out,tapping out etc.

mark

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/09/04 02:37 PM

Sharon, good point, I guess I hadn't thought of the hand position in the block. Using an improper fist to block something could cause just as much injury as using it for a punch...

I stand educated and will be more aware in the future!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Sifu always says if the students learn to do things correctly from the start, we won't have to break bad habits later.

[This message has been edited by sunspots (edited 07-09-2004).]

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/18/04 05:18 PM

Good points on the fist, I find that a problem area as well. I do begin with stances and footwork first, along with safety precautions and such (breakfalls..). I think that safety is very important, and humility must be here somewhere too. Thanks for the replies.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/18/04 07:27 PM

In our dojo we start off the newbies as follows:
Dojo ettiquite
Proper warmups and stretches
Making a correct fist
Stances, blocks and simple punches & kicks
Grappling positions - breakfalls etc
Single stick work drills
Basic footwork and punching drills
Yatsukos

Re: What do you teach first? - 07/21/04 10:25 AM

My first lessons are always:
1. Private, one on one, lessons. (three of them)
2. Free.

In the first one I teach footwork/stances, proper breathing and two blocks.
In the Second one I teach Two kicks, Two strikes, and two basic joint-locks.
In the third I take those things that I've taught in the first two and combine them in specific ways that lead the student to know 6 different, very effective, self defense techniques as well as helping them combine them in new ways that show them that with what little they've gained in just three lessons...they could acomplish a lot.

ALSO: At the end of the 3rd private lesson, I TEST THEM! If they don't pass, they can't attend my school!!!! No kidding. I've turned a few away, but most of the time...once I tell them this rule: THEY FOCUS/Pay attention and work hard.
It's impressive to see them impress themselves. This early confidence and the enthusiasm it gives really serves them well too!!!!!!
PLUS: My students KNOW that not only did they chose my school, but that I "accepted" them in.
Turning people away hasn't made me the most popular instructor in town! But I'm consistantly turning out loyal students that represent the school and their classmates (family) with excelence and dignity!!!
Papa
John