Texas Matsumura Orthodox

Posted by: Anonymous

Texas Matsumura Orthodox - 07/02/04 01:33 PM

I have noticed while browsing through the different topics on these forums that there are alot of people looking for a style with a true history behind it. Currently I am trying to see who all in Texas and surrounding states would be interested in attending classes, if my father was to start up another studio. Currently he is a 6th degree black belt in Matsumura Orthodox Shorin-ryu. A. Lee Manis (My Father) had the honor of learning his martial art from Hohan Soken when he was stationed at Okinawa serving in the US Special Forces during Vietnam. Other students of Kesei during his time included kesei, and Kuda.
From what I have seen with other karate studios, people use the promotion system to keep people attending their classes. I guess if people recieve a new color belt every month, they feel they are actually learning something? This has never been the way that my father operated. Any kind of promotion that you could recieve, would only be given to you if you earned it.
During lessons there is no type of father son relationship. In his class you learn to do what is being taught to you, and you learn to do it right. If you do not preform what is being taught correctly, you will not advance to a further stage in training.
After reading these forums, I see that people are looking for the real deal training, and I hope to help by throwing the idea across my fathers desk if there are people who would be interested in taking courses.
I guess go ahead and post a response if you would be interested. If we get a few people that would be dedicated students, I dont think my father would have a problem teaching.

[This message has been edited by TraJik (edited 07-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by TraJik (edited 07-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by TraJik (edited 07-08-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Texas Matsumura Orthodox - 07/03/04 07:04 AM

Hohan Soken was Fusei's teacher, not his student!

C