Ideas for teaching

Posted by: Anonymous

Ideas for teaching - 06/30/04 07:04 AM

Hi,
I am a 1st dan in Shotokan and teach in the children's lessons 3 times a week. Problem is sometimes I think they get bored doing the same stuff over and over again. I try to introduce new exercises but I'm running out of ideas. Does anyone have new and different ways to approach karate for children? Cheers
Posted by: schanne

Re: Ideas for teaching - 06/30/04 07:37 AM

KrissyT, We just had a forum about this last week, the same question was asked and it had numerous post that will help you keep the kid's interest, games, and other fun things for the kid's. Your going to have to do a search? Try doing a search?

Sharon, do you remember what forum it was under?
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Ideas for teaching - 06/30/04 11:52 AM

Here it is http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002181.html

I think I stand alone here in the opinion that games for the children are a bad idea on the whole.

I save them for the last lesson before Christmas, after a big grading or as a reward for really good behaviour or some other achievement.

The rest of the time I stick to serious training (obviously making allowances for age).

My own personal view is that a lot of time training IS repetative and they may as well learn that sooner rather than later. If they find it boring, they shouldn't do it.

I know most of you will disagree, but it works for our club.
Sharon

Re: Ideas for teaching - 06/30/04 01:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by still wadowoman:
Here it is http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002181.html

I think I stand alone here in the opinion that games for the children are a bad idea on the whole.

I save them for the last lesson before Christmas, after a big grading or as a reward for really good behaviour or some other achievement.

The rest of the time I stick to serious training (obviously making allowances for age).

My own personal view is that a lot of time training IS repetative and they may as well learn that sooner rather than later. If they find it boring, they shouldn't do it.

I know most of you will disagree, but it works for our club.
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

Sharon, when I speak of games they incorporate all aspects of MA training "at a childs level". Usually those ages range from 5-8 years of age. I have to disagree with you on this one, are we talking about the same age ? PS ..thank you for the post.

[This message has been edited by schanne (edited 06-30-2004).]

Re: Ideas for teaching - 06/30/04 04:03 PM

Sorry Schane, we are talking about the same age.

I am not rubbishing you're approach or your opinion, it's just not the same as mine.
Sharon

Re: Ideas for teaching - 07/01/04 10:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by still wadowoman:
Sorry Schane, we are talking about the same age.

I am not rubbishing you're approach or your opinion, it's just not the same as mine.
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

I respect that...Rei
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ideas for teaching - 07/01/04 04:23 PM

You first gotta show them what a good solid beating feels like. No pain, no gain! Besides, these kids today are all video gamed out, think they're tough as balls but they ain't. Give em a lesson they'll never forget!!!

Re: Ideas for teaching - 07/03/04 07:26 AM

Neck, grow up!

We are talking about children, we know you enjoy beating them but none of us would dream of it.

You are clearly worse than I thought (and I thought you were bad enough).
Sharon
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Ideas for teaching - 07/03/04 05:09 PM

The only "games" we get the kids to play now are basically modified drills and things that will make them stronger like piggyback pairs grappling, and blocking matches.

Kids need to have the lessons short and varied to keep their focus otherwise they lose interest quickly and play up. Then there's lots and lots of pressups for that........ [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]