Compete or No?

Posted by: Anonymous

Compete or No? - 05/29/04 11:34 PM

Hmmm? There is an upcoming BJJ tournet (Gi only) late June. The division I would be in is seniors 41+, beginner, (less than 12 months)

Ok..I've had about 12 lessons total, mostly no Gi.
My instructor has said that often times you will run into "so called" beginners who have been white belts for more than 2 yrs!..and roll like Purples!

Is it worth my while to compete if this is the case?
I do have yrs of MA training, primarily in ShoToKan and TKD which would hardly come into play..and I have also competed in many tourneys, so I have little "pre-tourney jitters)

I can not for the life of me see how anyone can have honor by staying a white belt, simply to clean up on the REAL 12 month or less beginner?

So whadaya' all think? Compete or is it a waste of time if this is the case? ..and pitfalls here?
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Compete or No? - 05/30/04 04:15 AM

I think you should compete if that is what you want to do.

If you do your best and lose, learn from it and do better next time.

If you are interested in the competition side of your art, the experience will be more valuable than any trophy IMO.

Good luck
Sharon

Re: Compete or No? - 05/31/04 02:45 PM

do it , its only for fun ..........
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Compete or No? - 06/01/04 08:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blackbelt76:
Hmmm? There is an upcoming BJJ tournet (Gi only) late June. The division I would be in is seniors 41+, beginner, (less than 12 months)

Ok..I've had about 12 lessons total, mostly no Gi.
My instructor has said that often times you will run into "so called" beginners who have been white belts for more than 2 yrs!..and roll like Purples!

Is it worth my while to compete if this is the case?
I do have yrs of MA training, primarily in ShoToKan and TKD which would hardly come into play..and I have also competed in many tourneys, so I have little "pre-tourney jitters)

I can not for the life of me see how anyone can have honor by staying a white belt, simply to clean up on the REAL 12 month or less beginner?

So whadaya' all think? Compete or is it a waste of time if this is the case? ..and pitfalls here?
[/QUOTE]

Accept that after 12 lessons you know nothing.

Enter the tournament.

Have fun.

Make new friends.

JohnL

Re: Compete or No? - 06/01/04 09:29 AM

Thanks John...
Accept that I know nothing?
I sure feel like I know nothing in this! LOL
Posted by: schanne

Re: Compete or No? - 06/08/04 03:13 PM

Waste of time, no way. Yes compete, I recommend everyone do it at least once.
Posted by: Kyoku

Re: Compete or No? - 06/10/04 01:11 AM

I am a White Belt, and have been training for three weeks. I'm overweight, unfit, and slow. In one month I'll by up for my first grading. Around this time, there will be a competition and all belts of all ages are welcome to spar, though I beleive white belts are only able to grapple. I'm nervous about this, and unsure of my ability. But I intend to enter a round and compete. If I loose, then I have lost nothing other then the competition, and hopefully I will have learnt something from my defeat. Even talking about it makes me nervous, and come the day I may not have the courage to enter, but it is my intent to.

I think, even if we dont think we can do it, it is better to try and know, then not try and never know.

Re: Compete or No? - 07/02/04 02:16 PM

I say you should compete.
And yes, there are people who will stay white belt for years on end, just to keep winning the competitions. Even with my father as my teacher in Matsumura Orthodox I wasnt promoted to a yellow belt for well over a year. So not all white belts you see that preform exceptionally well for their rank, are held back just to win competitions. Some teachers just will not promote ranks unless you learn EVERYTHING that is required of that rank. Not only must you learn the moves, but you need to learn what each move represents, and how to execute them the way they are intended to be executed.
I think everyone should be taught this way. Its funny being able to walk into karate studio and dominate a sparing match against black belts. Realize that a belt is to hold your pants up, and nothing more. It doesnt show skill, knowledge, or anything in my mind. My advice to you, would be to stay a white belt as long as possible, and learn every thing you can, about every move and what it means, then you will truly be ready to advance to the next stage in your training.