Notebooks

Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Notebooks - 05/26/04 12:11 AM

Do you keep a notebook-where you write down techniques learned, katas, etc. ?

Do you do it verbaly or with drawings?

Do you require or expect students to keep one?

If you keep one or your students do, do you or an instructor ever review them?

[This message has been edited by nekogami13 V2.0 (edited 05-26-2004).]
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: Notebooks - 05/26/04 01:45 AM

In my one school it was a must. I write and draw out the techniques. He would check the books regularly. That way you don't foget it because you have reference material. Plus any of your own notes, good fighting related quotes. Like

Speed equals power, power doesn't equal speed.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Notebooks - 05/26/04 01:50 AM

Actually, when I was starting out in karate, I did used to write stuff down. If I didn't I would forget stuff so couldn't practice at home between lessons.

I once spent several hours practising an ohyo. Managed to memorise it and thought I was performing it reasonably well. Went to lesson next day and found I had been practising it on the wrong leg. Took me ages to "unlearn" the wrong way.

I don't require anyone else to write anything down. Most of my students are faster learners than me.
Sharon
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Notebooks - 05/26/04 01:37 PM

Notebooks are absolutely required in my school. Entries consist of day, date, and at least a line or two of what was covered in each class attended. I tend to write down everything I can remember, in detail, so my entries are sometimes a page or more. Sifu will inspect notebooks at every promotion, (no updated notebook, no stripe or belt,) and I inspect the notebooks of my Jr./Beginner class about once a week.

Sifu still has all his old notebooks from when he started learning in the '70's!
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Notebooks - 05/26/04 03:51 PM

It's a good idea to do it.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Notebooks - 05/26/04 05:22 PM

I keep a blog of my teaching and training and daily activities
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: Notebooks - 05/26/04 06:41 PM

Sifu eh? Must be JKD. I think because Bruce Lee was an avid writer and drawer of the Martial Arts, he includes it in his system as a way to get students to look into the why and how of things. To promote new theorys.
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Notebooks - 05/27/04 10:52 AM

Nope, American Kenpo. Some of us watch Bruce Lee movies for inspiration and interest, but do not "follow" him.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: Notebooks - 05/27/04 10:59 AM

You blog eh reiki? I mostly look at eco/political ones in AU.

I don't train consistently enought to have a web log! It would be like droughts with intermittent flash floods.

Web adress of blog?
Posted by: schanne

Re: Notebooks - 05/27/04 11:16 AM

I keep a note book on the window sill of my Dojo and every time I think of something or want to go over a technique we write it down. Then after it is all worked out I put it down in a file in my computer, yep very detailed expalnations.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Notebooks - 05/30/04 07:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joesixpack:
You blog eh reiki? I mostly look at eco/political ones in AU.

I don't train consistently enought to have a web log! It would be like droughts with intermittent flash floods.

Web adress of blog?
[/QUOTE]

I find it useful to keep track of students progress and also my own plus a great place to have a rant in general!

- and I've had a few of those in recent times too! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/mad.gif[/IMG]

er, its at the *other* place, in my username

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] MAP
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Notebooks - 05/31/04 07:06 AM

I've never used a notebook.They way i've rememberd,is from repitition. That being said,I think it would be a good idea,If i started using one sense i'am,After all, 41 yrs old. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Isshinryukid4life (edited 05-31-2004).]
Posted by: ken harding

Re: Notebooks - 06/01/04 08:04 AM

I have kept a notebook for ages with all sorts of useful bits in it. That said I think it is more to help me remember than anything else.

Wadowoman - had to smile at the Ohyo story! I remember ages back in my first club a young woman (also a notebook keeper)who disappeared from the club for a couple of weeks. When she returned she announced proudly that she had learned kushanku from her notes. Sensei was impressed and asked her to demonstrate. She then performed the perfect "mirror" image of the kata. Everything looked superb except it was the wrong way round! It delayed her next grading by some time as it was a nightmare for her to learn the "right" way round.
So ever since then I always make sure I get my rights and lefts sorted. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Notebooks - 07/05/04 04:19 PM

Great Idea! Only in my school it is against policy to write down the moves of forms, because that makes it too easy to reference and you have to practice less.