A problem

Posted by: DragonFists

A problem - 05/21/04 04:08 AM

I have a problem I wish to learn muai thai but where i live there is no place to learn and i would like to know what stile would be useful to start learning now so I could learn until i am a grownup then i will move to a place where muai thai is teached
Im 14 now

[This message has been edited by DragonFists (edited 05-21-2004).]
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: A problem - 05/21/04 08:02 AM

Ummm...

Probably Kickboxing - as you find a lot of movement competition wise between the two sports and many kickbxoing clubs use thai techniques.
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: A problem - 05/25/04 04:15 AM

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: A problem - 05/25/04 05:28 AM

Instead of wacking yourself for an hour a day, why don't you get a partner and spar full contact for an hour a day. You will receive hits in a realistic manner.

There are plenty of champion Thai boxers that have never done such conditioning - probably because they used their time more effectively.
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: A problem - 05/26/04 03:09 AM

Well, a sparring partner cannot always be found. How many people have time to spar everyday. Hitting yourself can be done while watching your evening news.
Posted by: DragonFists

Re: A problem - 05/27/04 05:09 AM

I don`t know anybody interested in martial arts so a sparring partner is a bit hard to find
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: A problem - 05/27/04 05:40 AM

Dragon fists,
I agree with UKFF, kick boxing would be a great base. If there is none local what about western boxing?

Failing that, any training; karate, tkd, tang soo do, kempo, kung fu etc,any training that teaches you how to strike, body movement etc and help keep you fit would be a good base.

If there are no striking arts near you, consider a grappling art like ju jitsu, judo, bjj, aikido etc. Any of these will also teach you body movement and control and would be a great addition to a striking art.

Learning without an instructor is virtually impossible if you have no experience.

Good luck finding a good place to train. Get your parents to check out the instructor's qualifications/insurance/first aid certificates etc. before you begin.
Sharon