Question about teaching?!

Posted by: Anonymous

Question about teaching?! - 05/10/04 04:03 PM

Hi there!

My question is, what national black belt rank must one be before they can teach martial arts on there own?

Thanks
Posted by: creative

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/11/04 04:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skylene:
Hi there!

My question is, what national black belt rank must one be before they can teach martial arts on there own?

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

I have seen adverts in MA magazines by organisations asking for a minimum of brown belt? There isnt a minimum except what your organisation allows.
Anyone please correct me if i am wrong as i might well be.
Posted by: ken harding

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/11/04 06:34 AM

It varies. In Okinawa for example the "minimum" is that the teacher be 25 years old and a third dan.

One of my teachers is a 2nd dan but he is one of the most talented karateka I've ever seen! The other is a 6th Dan and I think likewise of him.

There are so many variables in standards of teaching, ability of teacher, ability of teacher to teach that really I don't think one can lay down a hard guideline
Posted by: sophia

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/11/04 11:02 PM

Because you are Canadian if it is a korean art you are talking about the instructor needs at least a 2nd degree. I believe that this is also true of Japanese arts as well. Remember not all martial arts use a belt system so it could get muddier (especially from a legal or insurance standpoint).
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/11/04 11:10 PM

There is no minimum rank requirement, except those set by organizations.
I can open a school and teach without any belt or ranking at all.
Unless I want to join an organization,even then as long as I pay my fees/dues some of them may not care.
Posted by: sophia

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/11/04 11:43 PM

neko this simply is not true. there are a whole slew of legal concerns. in canada I cannot legally open a back yard fight club/school or run certain types of sporting events. there have been high level legal debates about the legitamacy of back yard hockey. The body of case law is a complex and confused minefield of strict liability and endearment among other tricky issues. That's what we do for culturally defining activity that is socially accepted and heavily promoted in canada. I cannot even wrap my mind around all the issues and legal complexties of teaching martial arts without qualifications.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/12/04 01:40 AM

Skylene,
Is there a reason you can not ask your instructor this question? Not many of us are from Cananda.
In the UK anyone can open a dojo/gym, buy a black belt and teach what they like (scary, I know).
Sharon
Posted by: student

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/12/04 08:45 AM

Skylene,

Different organizations have their own criteria, but I was told that in mine, the minimum is Nidan. My club is in Canada, however the guidelines are defined in Okinawa.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/12/04 03:22 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I actually didnt have a chance to talk to my instructor till yesterday and he was able to fill me in as you can tell i was still at a loss so if your intrested the rule books say...at least over here..to teach you only need a 1st dan but to grade you must be at least a 3rd dan..well...there you go..
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/12/04 03:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skylene:
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I actually didnt have a chance to talk to my instructor till yesterday and he was able to fill me in as you can tell i was still at a loss so if your intrested the rule books say...at least over here..to teach you only need a 1st dan but to grade you must be at least a 3rd dan..well...there you go..
[/QUOTE]

Hi Skylene

That may be what your association says they require, however it has nothing to do with you being able to teach.

As far as I'm aware, Canada is the same as everywhere else in that there are no national standards nor governing body. As such, whether someone is a 5th Kyu or 3rd dan is irrelevant as no-one is comparing apples with apples.

Therefore anyone can open a gym, award himself a grade, print himself a certificate and hey-ho, a new system is born with a new sensei/hanshi/shihan or whatever title they decide to award themself.

JohnL
Posted by: ken harding

Re: Question about teaching?! - 05/13/04 09:02 AM

Meet the founder of Harding Ryu ; gazillionth th Dan.

In this mystical dojo you will find amazing ways to part with your cash. In return I will make you do all sorts of silly things and send you out with total confidence albeit bleed you until you need a second mortgage (prefereabley a third) to pay me.

Just a little bad humour on my part. It IS damn scary how easy it would be to start up.