Faking the opponent.

Posted by: newfighter

Faking the opponent. - 03/23/04 06:29 AM

O.k first of, I get into lots of fights outside but at times when I fight a 1 on 1 match and end up winning.. there is nothing remarkable about my win. I was looking for a remarkable win. Something people will probably praise and since many think of me as a kid, let them have the impression that I have my own set of abilities. How do I achieve this? And coming to the topic, this is one if the strategies I use and in fact many of you guys use it too. I stand with my left foot forward and right at the back placing my left hand before my face and right hand just beside my chin. That's the fighting style I use. And when I throw a punch, I move both hands as if not making him sure of which hand I am going to throw for the punch. And when I am moving my hands, faking him along the way, I duck my head behind my hands to keep clear of blows to my face and also as a form of distraction. Do you guys think this is a good style of fighting? I mean, comments are all welcome. I wouldn't mind critism. I'll try to make it to good use. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

R0y.
Posted by: CanuckMA

Re: Faking the opponent. - 03/23/04 07:00 AM

Stop getting into fights. That's nothing to be proud of.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Faking the opponent. - 03/23/04 07:18 AM

First of all, why are you getting into so many fights? Does your instructor know and what does he say?

Secondly, from a self defence point of view you HAVE won if you walk away relatively unharmed from an attack. A spetacular win is walking away without having to fight at all.

Out of interest, which art(s) do you study and how old are you?
Sharon
Posted by: schanne

Re: Faking the opponent. - 03/24/04 06:41 AM

Newfighter, you have been a bad boy, drop and give me fifty! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: schanne

Re: Faking the opponent. - 03/25/04 12:09 PM

Newfighter as you can read through the post many of the senior and upper belt on this forum do not take street fighting casually, it's wrong and I don't want you to do it anymore. Also you will gain the respect from others over time, it can't be bought or given through a few fights. Besides my lecture your fighting stance sounds fine, when you duck the punch remember not to let your head down, bend at the knees not your neck.(Don't drop your head so your looking at the floor)You asked if your stance was a good style and my answer to that would be... it's a natual fighting stance no more no less.Be more specific.

[This message has been edited by schanne (edited 03-25-2004).]
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: Faking the opponent. - 05/25/04 06:43 AM

If both parties are consenting and hounorable, a fight is great fun. You learn by doing. Good on ya. As far as you technique goes thats the style your comfortable with, so as long as it keeps working good.

I personally would recomend keeping your hands tight to your face, is is the most sound way for the street.It stableizes your head so you don't get knocked out. So when your throwing the left, your right and is tight to your cheek.

Never block shots unless their to the head. If its not to the head, just wear it.

Most of all be hard. Play american football, or go to boot camp. Do anything to take a beating. Then lick your wounds and rest with plenty of juice, veggies and vitamins. Once you've healed back stronger. Repeat this process.

Re: Faking the opponent. - 06/29/04 03:27 PM

Just to let you know getting yourself into fights all the time is not the choice of the wise. Look at Ali, he can barely speek cuz he took too many punches to the head. Now his brains are close enough to be called JELLO. I agree with sharon, i do not think your sensei would enjoy hearing of your frequent fights, that is if you study in a dojo. The best thing to do is avoid a fight. I hate being in a fight because I am afraid of tearing the other person to pieces. Let alone not knowing if the same can happen to me. When training in a martial arts you learn your art to defend yourself in dangerous situations. It sounds like you are putting yourself in these situations. One day you could be seriously injured and possibly your opponent. I am not trying to pry but why are you in fights all the time? The last fight I was in was 1rst grade and that was 13 years ago. He stood nearly 1 ft. taller than myself. I was only defending myself because this kid was going to hurt me. He dropped out of school and was home schooled the rest of his life. I was not taking MA classes untill 6 years later. If I knew then what I knew now the conflict would have been avoided, or if the fight broke out i would not have grabbed his hair and blasted about 3-4 knees to his face. I feel terrible now thinking about it but it was about defence. I did not put myslef in the situation. I tried to walk away but the situation was unaviodable walking away did not work. Some advice on your strategy:

1. The stance is fine, and kudos to you when keeping the right near your face when throwing the left.

2. When throwing your punches do not bob your head behind your fist. You will throw your weight to your left side when throwing the left. I know it might keep an elbow from catching your face but not his right hook. It could also blind you from seeing it coming if your arm is in the way.

3. As mentioned above when bobbing your head behinf your punches: Lets say you throw the left straight or jab and your weight shifts on the same side as your punch, if he throws a left round-house to your mid-section then you might end up on the ground. He might shoot in for a tackle if he gets lucky, which most fight end up on the ground anyway. Most people want to avoid this. It is not the most comfortable range to fight at but I have taken a few years of BJJ.

4. Try to avoid the fight if at all possible. If it makes you look bad in front of your friends, knowing you hummbled yourself before the opponent will give you the benefit of the doubt you did not need to fight. You would then win with your mind and avoid injury instead of throwing yourself into that situation.

Re: Faking the opponent. - 06/29/04 03:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ObsorbingKnowledge:
Just to let you know getting yourself into fights all the time is not the choice of the wise. Look at Ali, he can barely speek cuz he took too many punches to the head. Now his brains are close enough to be called JELLO. I agree with sharon, i do not think your sensei would enjoy hearing of your frequent fights, that is if you study in a dojo. The best thing to do is avoid a fight. I hate being in a fight because I am afraid of tearing the other person to pieces. Let alone not knowing if the same can happen to me. When training in a martial arts you learn your art to defend yourself in dangerous situations. It sounds like you are putting yourself in these situations. One day you could be seriously injured and possibly your opponent. I am not trying to pry but why are you in fights all the time? The last fight I was in was 1rst grade and that was 13 years ago. He stood nearly 1 ft. taller than myself. I was only defending myself because this kid was going to hurt me. He dropped out of school and was home schooled the rest of his life. I was not taking MA classes untill 6 years later. If I knew then what I knew now the conflict would have been avoided, or if the fight broke out i would not have grabbed his hair and blasted about 3-4 knees to his face. I feel terrible now thinking about it but it was about defence. I did not put myslef in the situation. I tried to walk away but the situation was unaviodable walking away did not work. Some advice on your strategy:

1. The stance is fine, and kudos to you when keeping the right near your face when throwing the left.

2. When throwing your punches do not bob your head behind your fist. You will throw your weight to your left side when throwing the left. I know it might keep an elbow from catching your face but not his right hook. It could also blind you from seeing it coming if your arm is in the way.

3. As mentioned above when bobbing your head behinf your punches: Lets say you throw the left straight or jab and your weight shifts on the same side as your punch, if he throws a left round-house to your mid-section then you might end up on the ground. He might shoot in for a tackle if he gets lucky, which most fight end up on the ground anyway. Most people want to avoid this. It is not the most comfortable range to fight at but I have taken a few years of BJJ.

4. Try to avoid the fight if at all possible. If it makes you look bad in front of your friends, knowing you hummbled yourself before the opponent will give you the benefit of the doubt you did not need to fight. You would then win with your mind and avoid injury instead of throwing yourself into that situation.

[/QUOTE]

Re: Faking the opponent. - 06/29/04 03:40 PM

sorry hit the wrong button.

Re: Faking the opponent. - 07/01/04 10:57 PM

First ofall i think that fighting is really bad except for self defence. About your style, like with your hands protecting your head alot, what happens if a guy kicks you in the nuts? That wouldn't be nice.
Posted by: Telepath

Re: Faking the opponent. - 07/03/04 06:11 PM

I know everyone says that fighting is bad and shouldent be done but it is really only an opinion...

i used to fight alot and still do occasionally.. i just challenge people , and have had people challenge me.. but this is a street fight..whatever goes.... broken bones and all...i feel this is the only way to truly test your skill and it is the only way to become a better fighter.. really... if you spar alot you'll end up being a great fighter, when it comes to sparring, but real fist fighting with no protection and only your honor...that not only enhances your skill, but it also, atleast for me, i am not sure how to say it.. it makes me feel great.. it's such a rush for me..just fighting.. i would have to say that i trully do love it.. i Spar with my students.. but occasionally i would really fight them. obviously not to beat them in anyway, they are my students and i would not want anything bad to happen to them but i hit them hard and let them hit me hard..and most of them enjoy it as much as i do.. the rest leave... thats fine with me..

You say that. oh look what happened to ALI.. his brain is like jello now.. yes.. but i will gaurentee that he would make the same choice if he could go back in time and choose to fight again or not...for fighters it's everything.....i don't go out and pick fights.. even though i have...but i do street fight.. thats what i am a fighter

certain people may become offended with this post and telme i am an idiot or whatever but if you havent ever fought like that just because.. then you don't know what your talking about, those who have and still want to argue.. i will listen , but my choice will be fighting