home practice time

Posted by: IRONMAN

home practice time - 02/10/04 08:09 AM

just wondering how much time every one devotes to home practice.

for me its
15min a day mon-fri
1 1/2 hours sat & sun

this is all i can manage with 3 tkd classes, college and work and some sort of social life during a weak
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: home practice time - 02/10/04 11:52 AM

Luckily for me both my husband and my daughter also train. This means I am rarely short of a training partner. I try to train with my husband for an hour on most week days. I train with my daughter about half hour three times a week.
Sharon
Posted by: Ozmo

Re: home practice time - 02/10/04 02:08 PM

You people keep making me feel lazy. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I stretch pretty much everyday and should do stuff like push-ups etc, but usually find my will lacking. I do manage to do quite a bit when I get a notable adrenaline rush from reading something inspiring or whatever, but that's all too rare for me.
Posted by: Kotetsu

Re: home practice time - 02/12/04 01:12 PM

I train about 30 min.-1 hour a mon-fri, on the weekends i can get in a couple of hours a day on average. If i get together with certain freinds however i might get 8 or so hours of training in a on the weekends.
Posted by: Shaolinboy

Re: home practice time - 02/13/04 02:34 AM

Well I train in Kung Fu twice a week! But I do a lot of shadow boxing at home, practicing forms, some balancing. I literally can't stand still. I will pratice anywhere where I can find some privacy.
I know that my instructor's assistant and his kids must practice a lot! I heard they practice their stance work while washing their teeth. So I often practice standing on one leg in the shower and stances!
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: home practice time - 02/13/04 06:48 AM

Actual martial arts, at the moment very little.

As for stretching, strenthening, endurance etc. I do something everyday (at least dynamic stretching in the morning!)
Posted by: medulanet

Re: home practice time - 02/13/04 09:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shaolinboy:
Well I train in Kung Fu twice a week! But I do a lot of shadow boxing at home, practicing forms, some balancing. I literally can't stand still. I will pratice anywhere where I can find some privacy.
I know that my instructor's assistant and his kids must practice a lot! I heard they practice their stance work while washing their teeth. So I often practice standing on one leg in the shower and stances!
[/QUOTE]

Be careful about standing on one leg in the shower. That can be very dangerous.
Posted by: Aezed

Re: home practice time - 03/23/04 03:58 PM

I like to practice shuffle-step in the shower. And flying side kick.

-Aezed
Posted by: ken harding

Re: home practice time - 05/07/04 05:26 AM

It varies and I use some days for fitness atrength activities. Partner work I sometimes do with my wife and I am gradually acquiring some Goju Ryu kata and other bits as a result (my wife also has a slightly Wadoesque element to her training). On average 45 mins to an hour and a half on days when I don't train formally in a club which happens 3 days a week. One day is always left FREE of any training at all to facilitate beer and so on.
Posted by: ken harding

Re: home practice time - 05/07/04 05:31 AM

Ken's normal routine is roughly like this though I vary it slightly from month to month depending on what I want to work on and to keep the interest going

Mon - Freestanding squats or Hindu Squats x 400-500 in sets of 50,
Pressups of various kinds (claps, hands together, wide and normal position) set of 50 each.
Makiwara training and or cuts with a bokken
Tues - Pretty much the same as Monday, though often do short sprints (15 x 25 meters) after a light warm up.
Weds - training at club
Thurs - training at club
Friday - resting, have a beer and curry etc
Sat - Mainly makiwara and bokken work. short Hindu sqauts session as i love 'em and in the summer months a couple of hours kata in the garden.

Sunday - training at club. Once a month Sunday is a big day as I do several hours of a kata course followed by the regular Sunday club session.