Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea?

Posted by: Aezed

Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea? - 02/05/04 12:48 PM

In my current training style, we generally warm up, do some basics all together, and then break up by ability level/rank and practice our individual curriculum. The master walks from group to group correcting as needed. That's a typical class. Sometimes, however, the master will simply line us all up and take us through basics and curriculum all together, doing corrections as he can. Each practitioner is doing level appropriate techniques, but they are doing it as part of the larger group. I find that I prefer this type of training, although it does not allow for the level of individual feedback offered by the divided class. Obviously it is best when the class is all of one level, preferably a high level. This allows the master to train us all together in the same techniques with a focus on detail. I'm interested in your opinions: is it in general a good teaching technique to break people into groups and then bounce from group to group instructing them as they practice? Or do people in general learn better through practicing together under direct supervision but less intensive scrutiny?

-Aezed
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea? - 02/05/04 01:17 PM

I would ALWAYS prefer to be divided according to rank and skill level. In large classes of wide-ranging abilities, the lower-level students can be frustrated by things beyond them, and the higher ones get bored with repeating the basics over and over. The only time we do "mass classes" in my dojo is when we have seminars. In that case, they last longer than regular classes and the instructors can take time to come around and give more individual help as needed.
Posted by: CanuckMA

Re: Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea? - 02/05/04 01:23 PM

We teach all techniques to all students. The only time we divide by rank is to work on rank specific katas
Posted by: Aezed

Re: Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea? - 02/05/04 03:16 PM

sunspots said:
In large classes of wide-ranging abilities, the lower-level students can be frustrated by things beyond them, and the higher ones get bored with repeating the basics over and over.

Note that in my post I said:
Sometimes, however, the master will simply line us all up and take us through basics and curriculum all together, doing corrections as he can. *Each practitioner is doing level appropriate techniques*, but they are doing it as part of the larger group. (Emphasis added)

So the beginners are doing beginner techniques, and advanced students are doing advanced student techniques...just together.

-Aezed

Re: Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea? - 02/06/04 02:00 PM

Differentiation duly noted.

I would still rather be broken up. In addition to what I posted above, I think it would preclude people getting distracted, or interrupted. (I have been working my own stuff in class, when a lower-ranked student asked for help while Sensei was busy with someone else. I am glad to help, but that means I lose my own training time.)

Just my $.02...
Posted by: kempocos

Re: Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea? - 02/14/04 05:15 PM

There are tomes that both are needed, when mixed the higher ranks can help the lower, and yes there things they can learn doing this. Then there are times they must dived by rank so the higher ranks can work on pushinh thier technique sto a higher level.

Re: Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea? - 02/17/04 09:10 AM

I agree that higher ranks can learn by teaching the lower ranks. I teach the Junior class at my dojo, and it has made me become more aware of my own stances, etc. (You can't teach them correctly if you don't DO them correctly!)

But I also love the time I get to just work on my own stuff, and learn things to bring back to the ones coming up...
Posted by: goldencrane

Re: Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea? - 02/25/04 11:15 AM

I feel that both are benificial. In our Dojo we have "open" classes that are open to all ranks. and we have actual beginer,Intermed,and advanced classes. It is sometimes very difficult to learn the intracaces of you ranked curriculim, when you are with a lower rank. Just because they are working on getting a move down, and you are working an making the move work!!
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Dividing Classes by rank: Bad idea? - 02/26/04 01:11 PM

We work a variety of styles.

We often work in a full dojo group then break off later to work on specific kata or applications or weapons work.

Often the instructors amongst us will work with the lower ranks and teach them new kata or kicks etc. Its a good learning experience for both. it does mean that sometimes you lose training time however its usually compensated for at another class.