The value of learning the language of your Martial Art

Posted by: Shaolinboy

The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 01/23/04 03:04 AM

Some Martial Arts are very strict that you have to learn the Korean or Japanese or Chinese for certain techniques! And a lot of people in the west aren't too bothered with learning the language of their Martial Art.
I know its a requirement in Taekwondo especially the grading! But if someone has a good understanding of the Art, has good techniques and a real grasp of all the forms and also remains humble and respectful then why is it necessary to learn Korean?
The Koreans, Japanese an Chinese have the advantage because its their language and don't have to do that so it makes it much more easier for them.
I enjoy learning new lanaguages and in my Martial Art we are told the Chinese names for techniques but this is not a requirement. And its funny what your memory retains when there is no pressure!
I remember doing Judo, you weren't really encouraged to learn teh Japanese for all of the throws, locks and holds as I think it was because there are so many of them and it was hard enough knowing what they were in English!
I think this is another reason why people turn to Kick boxing or Boxing.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 01/27/04 11:02 AM

From a technique perspective I agree that not learning the names of techniqes etc. Isn't important.

But many like to retain some sense of tradition - although for beginners I think it is confusing.
Posted by: kempocos

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 01/27/04 02:01 PM

I think it is a waste of time. To take time away from learning the proper technique so that you can say it in korean, chinese etc. is stupid.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 01/28/04 12:11 PM

Something similar to this was tackled a while ago. Take a read you might find some interesting points.
http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000861.html

Regards,

Raul
Posted by: dazzler2

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 02/02/04 07:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kempocos:
I think it is a waste of time. To take time away from learning the proper technique so that you can say it in korean, chinese etc. is stupid. [/QUOTE]

If something has a name then why is it stupid to use it? takes about 2 seconds to say it then move on and practice it.

Whats stupid is having something called one name in one country and something different elsewhere because people are too dumb or too lazy to learn it.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 02/02/04 12:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dazzler2:
Whats stupid is having something called one name in one country and something different elsewhere because people are too dumb or too lazy to learn it.

[/QUOTE]

Stupid?
That's why we have French, Spanish, English, Italian, Japanese, Hungarian etc. etc. etc.
What's dumb or lazy about a language, or are you the typical englishman that believes everyone should speak english.

JohnL
Posted by: Aezed

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 02/05/04 03:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dazzler2:
If something has a name then why is it stupid to use it? takes about 2 seconds to say it then move on and practice it.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO. I almost got in trouble at work when I read this. Couldn't stop chuckling and my boss walked by and gave me a weird look. I say we all learn Esperanto and do martial arts in that.

-Aezed
Posted by: dazzler2

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 03/11/04 10:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:

Stupid?
That's why we have French, Spanish, English, Italian, Japanese, Hungarian etc. etc. etc.
What's dumb or lazy about a language, or are you the typical englishman that believes everyone should speak english.

JohnL

[/QUOTE]

John

The point I'm making is that in traditional MA excercises and techniques most are taught with a traditional name ...so why not stick with it and take the few seconds to master saying it then move on to actually doing it.

If I learn one that has an english name then sure - I'm the typical kind of english guy that believes everyone should speak english. Since I study mainly japanese arts I'm the kind of guy that suggests everyone speaks a bit of japanese.

Hope thats a bit easier for you to understand.

Aezed - glad I made you laugh!

D
Posted by: schanne

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 03/11/04 12:07 PM

I think a true Martial Artist would want to know what,a fighter could care less.
Posted by: chime

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 04/06/04 11:41 PM

We use Japanese terminology simply because when Sensei comes we want to understand him. And he has decided that if he teaches in Japanese, then he doesn't have to learn different terminology when he is in the US, Greece, South America, Japan, Turkey, etc.

And since he takes us to Okinawa or Japan on occasion, we can understand enough to participate in events without insisting that somebody else also learn our language, cause we Americans ARE special -neh?
Posted by: schanne

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 04/07/04 12:54 PM

This a problem, diluted MA. After awhile maybe it's ok to start shorting the kata's and so on, that part is to hard so lets cut it out...aaawhh what the heck it's only tradition. I am pro language.
Posted by: creative

Re: The value of learning the language of your Martial Art - 04/27/04 02:13 PM

I dont think there is anything wrong with learning Japanese/Chinese/Korean(so on) names for techniques. Most sports/arts have their own names for techniques.
But If you went to train in Japan/china... you would most probably end up relying on demonstrations anyway as you would only understand 1 or 2 words in every 30 or 40. Also there is a good chance your teacher is mispronouncing the word.
I have never heard of someone changing to a western art because of language though?